Why no thread ratings in OT?

LucyDuke

staring at the clock
They were gone before I got here. What was the problem?

It would be very handy, considering so many people use OT and would vote, it would be representative, and difficult to troll/ruin/cheat etc

All threads are created equal. Even the really bad ones. :p

But seriously, I dunno. I guess the thought of people not liking some threads as much as others is kinda a deterrent.

CFCOT is a pretty fair judge. I'm sure "good" threads would get the 5 stars they deserve.

Excrement threads would get the one star they deserve. If the OP has a problem with it, start better threads!

But a hundred others might give it 4 stars.. a few trolls really can't knock a forum with so many users.. it works everywhere else on CFC.. why not OT?

But a hundred others might give it 4 stars.. a few trolls really can't knock a forum with so many users.. it works everywhere else on CFC.. why not OT?

It doesn't appear to be widely used elsewhere, even when it is an option. The counterpoint to the first part here would be that trolls are more likely to give a thread 1 star than someone with a reasonable opinion is to bother giving a thread 4 stars.

But I for one would be intrigued to hear the arguments in favour of this; what positive benefit could this bring? :)

IIRC, OT use of tags dwarfed the rest of the forums when we had them open to everyone. This is definitely something OT would use.

It seems very, very easy to rate threads, there's no way trolls would overwhelm legitimate stars.

The benefit of this is to show at a glance what the community thinks of a thread. If everyone posting in a thread gives it five stars, it's more likely to be worth reading than a thread with only one.

Yeah, there are a ton of threads going on at once...it'll be nice to know which ones have quality reading before I click through everything. There are some threads that I typically avoid (religion), but if it had a high star count, I might take a peak, if the people were actually writing things worth reading.

We have what, 20 out and out supertrolls at once? the wisdom of the OT crowds should overcome that for a rating system.

I, too, believe that a thread rating tool would be a most excellent addition.

Such a device has been used here before, I collect? Was it discontinued for a particular reason?

I wouldn't mind seeing a thread rating in OT either, it would give those that browse the forum casually a better idea of what threads they may want to look at as opposed to others. Granted, sometimes the topic of the thread itself gives that away, but outside of that, I think it would be a good thing to at least try again and see what happens.

We do have one indicator that show how popular a thread can be, that is - view counts. But there isn't any indication on whether it is something people like it or not.

I don't see what is the harm of having the option to give a thread a good rating or not. It would actually encourage more people to create better threads. Possibly ....

:bump:

Could we try it? (I'm still curious about why it's not there now.)

I didn't feel it was right to post in the thread about thread about threadrating in OT.

1:
I might have missed it but is it possible to rate a post instead of a whole thread, if you can how do you?

if not
In my opinion beeing able to just rate an answer to a thread might be a way to agree of a post instead of the many posts "this" and some noninformative text.

I am very wary of anything like this coming in on CFC. There is great potential within a system like this to attack other members by giving bad post ratings regardless of content.

If I read your answer rught, there is no possibilty to do this at the moment, good, im not dumb then :D

Your waryness of negative of giving bad postrating was something that didn't cross my mind, I just thought about the positive ones. Thank you for your answer.

Top Bottom