1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why on earth...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aheadatime, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ironsides

Old Ironsides Chieftain

I liked the idea of the FOW, but for me I'm finding it hard to get on with. As for goody huts I want them to jump out a little more.

fatgordy likes this.
  2. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

The only redeeming point of the near-invisible huts is that you can center the screen on them clicking on the alert. Otherwise, I'd literally miss 75% of them.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  3. dtfauss

dtfauss Chieftain

I literally put a tag on them, using the mini map tags, especially one's my roving galleys find for later possible exploitation, otherwise I'd never see them again.

4. Aheadatime

Aheadatime Prince

And it's even worse if you have colorblindness. For me, the whole fog of war blends into one thing. Grassland and tundra kinda stick out, but man is it hard to decipher what I'm looking at. It's making it difficult to get through multiple play-throughs, as the issue stands out more and more as I play.

5. TruthfulCake

TruthfulCake Prince

I think that, if they are going for stylized, they should make some map features way more prominent with some sort of drawing over the monochromatic map. Like, make wavy pencil drawings on the map covered in the fog of war to mark hills, and multiple, sparse "-" for marsh, etc. Kind of like the terrain markers we see in atlases. After all, the only thing that tells us that a hill is there, even in full color, is the shadows cast by the bumps. The shadows do not appear in the fog.

I got used to the resource icons and I can tell what's where now (can't speak for a colorblind person, although it is the shape rather than colors that help me distinguish them). What they need to do if they want to keep it stylized is to make terrain features easier to spot. Right now, it just looks like a normal fog with a different, monochromatic color.

beestar likes this.
  6. Aheadatime

Aheadatime Prince

Yes the minimap is near useless lol. I noticed that too, but figured if the fog was fixed, I could live with a broken mini map until that gets brought to Firaxis' attention or a modder fixes it. If Civ6's graphics engine is as well-hidden as CiVs, I don't think modders will be able to do anything about the fog.

7. RealAntithesis

RealAntithesis Warlord

Giving the option of reverting back to the Civ5 style fog of war is the way to go here. While the new brown parchment style fog of war is more 'stylistic' than the older darkened terrain, the older fog is much easier to decipher and is less jarring on the eyes. The Civ6 map is just way too busy currently, with the normal terrain in full view, then the brown explored fog of war terrain, then the brown unexplored map. Across each of these transitions is a border that splits up the view and results in a lot of lines that, together with national borders etc is not as nice (and more difficult) to look at. There needs to be a better use of colour to distinguish different elements on the map - such as resource icons etc. The older Civ5 knew this, but Civ6 is just monochromatic brown. The stylistic choice of going with a parchment look is just detracting from the user experience. At least give the player a choice.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  8. Namæless

Namæless Chieftain

100% agree
    To me, find a resource or understand if that's a hill or else is really a pain. I mean literally: i wear glasses.... for a reason.

9. westyofoz

westyofoz Chieftain

100% agreement from me as well. Hills, trees, some of the buildings, FOW, just plain horrible IMO

10. Europa Victrix

Europa Victrix Chieftain

11. Kougar7

Kougar7 Warlord

While I do love the current map and FOW, I completely agree with the OP that we need either alternate view options or at minimum lens options that show specific classes of resources

12. BF Bullpup

BF Bullpup Chieftain

People think Civ VI looks better than V? V looks like a work of art. VI is only a step up from Civilization Revolution.

I don't mind the parchment-to-map approach VI is going for, just for the sake of being different. What would be helpful would be if the fog of war and actual explored regions are DIFFERENT colors - or just for the explored region to retain all the colors when it is out of visibility range like V. VI's explored but out of visibility areas look so dull and is hard to read.

13. Aheadatime

Aheadatime Prince

14. smartcanuck1988

smartcanuck1988 Warlord

Hiding the tile yields for fairer comparison, Endless Legend is the better looking map and FOW in my opinion. One important thing they do is that the icons are on top of any shaders so they don't get blended in (see below, and also at the yield icons in your attached image). The colored strategic resources post-patch in VI finally did that but I think the yield icons are still shaded.

Spoiler :

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    George Abitbol likes this.
  15. westyofoz

westyofoz Chieftain

It isn't you, Endless Legend took some getting use to for me as well.
    I found the changes from Civ 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 okay, it is just the change from Civ 5-6.
    Maybe it is my old age creeping in...

16. Namæless

Namæless Chieftain

Actually i liked the map/minimap in EL, and i find the ones in CiV VI much worse form a "what in the universe is that?" prospective.

17. chriskj

chriskj Chieftain

The new FOW is ugly and makes things hard to see. Thankfully they added the map pins. I have a hard time seeing the goodie huts, and some other stuff, with or wthout the FOW.

18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

The FOW is just plain annoying for me. To a degree I stopped exploring because of it.
    I used to really enjoy seeing where I had been clearly even though it was not up to date. It was nice and pretty and pleasurable.
    Now I see a brown mass and in the ugly brown mass I can see the new barb camps which is a bit silly. I would rather it be clear and out of date.
    That would make it nicer and more realistic (I cannot see changes)... there is way too much info being given away in a fog.

need my speed likes this.
  19. ELRACj

ELRACj Warlord

Somebody has to be making a mod to fix this.

20. rockhpi

rockhpi Chieftain

I often have a hard time seeing sleeping units, especially if they're on a district or wonder. I much prefer the Civ V graphics.

oroniel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.