1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why on earth...

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aheadatime, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antiriad

Antiriad Chieftain

At first I was concerned about the new fog of war, but now I'm used to it I quite like it.

sanchopanda likes this.
  2. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

I like the "map" filter purely for artistic reasons, though I don't deny it has clarity issues.

Perhaps three options?

Sepia Map ( current )
    Color Map ( Sepia map with artistically appropriate colorization )
    Traditional ( Civ5 Style )

This is the rare case where just straight up adding more options is the way to go, IMO. You *can* please everyone in this case.

3. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

I do like the effect they were going for, but it is underwhelming when it comes to function. I expect there to be a lot of texture packs once the Steam Workshop opens.

Aheadatime likes this.
  4. duckstab

duckstab Child of Noble Family

While I haven't purchased Civ6 yet, and I'm sure the UI will need some tweaking, I hate the misty haze of Civ5. Even after the FOW is cleared I find the map very hard to read and spend 90% of the game in the strategic layer. I think the clean, crisp graphics of Civ6 are a step backwards to Civ4. In this case, that's a step in the right direction IMO.

BURTMACKLINFBI and Mr.WorldWide like this.
  5. Joch

Joch Warlord

I disagree completely on this one. I really like what they have done with Civ6 FOW. It makes it very easy to distinguish which areas you can see into and which you can't and it gives it a old cartography look.

Personally, it only took me a short time to get used to it and I don't find it any more difficult to figure out where to settle new cities than in Civ5 or BE.

6. Vaclac

Vaclac Chieftain

I switch to strategic view when I want to be sure about hills, or even generally about what terrain I've improved with what. I find the standard view difficult to tell quickly, and sometimes end up leaving useful land within the city radius undeveloped as a result.

7. smartcanuck1988

smartcanuck1988 Warlord

I think the shaders they are applying to the fog of war are nice. However the models of tiles like hills (and you can through the resource icons here too) are not that distinct. So the result is what we see.

8. Kracked1

Kracked1 Chieftain

I only play in strategic view now (as I always did in Civ V) - seems to speed up the game a bit too (but could be perception). I played a couple of games through with the global view (non-strategic) to see the pretty pictures and animations and am now back to gool ole strategic view which is where I will likely stay until Civ VII. :shifty:

9. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

If we must stick with the existing concept, please devs, add some relief detail and color (see attached).

Attached Files:

Chinese American and Aheadatime like this.
  10. oakdragon

oakdragon Stagnating amongst the Siliconians Supporter

The two screenshots are not a fair comparison. You've got satellites in the Civ V one, which show everything.

11. zagosya

zagosya Chieftain

I still have trouble with identifying districts and sometimes switch to strategic view which has easy to spot icons for them

12. Esperr

Esperr King

Im getting used to 6 now, but would probably still rather have 5 for claritys sake. But I dont mind six now, they just need to fix the hills thing.

13. BD123

BD123 Chieftain

I like the second option, the sepia with colors. It'd be easier to read and would preserve the aesthetic they were going for. It could be like nice water colors too.

Differentiating hills from flat land (even in full sight) is just awful, and all that needs to be done is to make the hills more... hilly. Like in CiV where the hills obviously jutted out of the flat land.

Also, when you hover over the areas in FOW info doesn't show up, at least not for me :(

14. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I like the map, but also agree it can use improvement. The main points for me:
    -bigger distinction between FOW and unexplored terrain. I've had cases where I look at my map and can't tell what I've explored and what I haven't.
    -as everyone else said, bigger hills. To add on, bigger resources too. I mean obviously I keep resource icons on, but it would be nice to also be able to clearly see a horse or pig in the background, as opposed to this tiny object that is impossible to determine.
    -Keep the resource icons for resources under cities/districts! I got the tech for oil, and it's basically impossible to know where they are! There might be one hiding under a neighbour's district and I wouldn't be able to tell at all.

But yeah, would be nice to have more obvious hills at the very least.

oroniel and Aheadatime like this.
  15. CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge Warlord

Civ 5 was great for distinction but was very bland. It was like looking at a EU or CK map.

16. MistyRonin

MistyRonin Warlord

What I don't get is how it took so long for the devs to get a truly awesome fog of war like the map textured one. It's one of the coolest features of the game.

Now it really feels like exploring a World.

17. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

And I suppose...re-exploring the world over and over again because you can't read the drab map.

Aheadatime and qadams like this.
  18. Ozisl

Ozisl Warlord

Maybe they could make it so the FOW changes based on your era... ancient you see nothing, classical to Renaissance you see parchment, industrial to a nice print, modern eras to photographic...

qadams and cjm81499 like this.
  19. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

While playing Civ 5 and scolling fast over the map I always had some graphic bugs in the late game. I guess that had something to do with the performance and it looked similar to the muddy brown fog of war in Civ6.

So if it was the goal to avoid this graphic bug then I choose the muddy brown fog of war. It is better than the bug. This bug even appear on my new computer with best hardware so it must be something to do with Civ 5.

20. Aheadatime

Aheadatime Prince

This comparison is 100% identical. What you're looking at is two different versions of the same thing - terrain that you've "discovered" but don't currently have vision of. With Civ6, I had to manually discover all the terrain myself for this experiment, since there is no IGE mod yet. With Civ5, I just unlocked Satellites to discover all of the terrain.

The method of discovery doesn't matter whatsoever, so I don't see your gripe. Satellites technology doesn't provide constant vision of every tile on the map, it just 'discovers' tiles that you didn't explore yourself throughout the course of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.