• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Why Sedna?

WS78

Chill moan!
The newly discovered/unconfirmed 9th/10th planet is called Sedna. Why? Let's name the majority of the solar system after Roman gods and name the last one after an Inuit god?

Maybe someone called Edna is special to one of the scientists involved...

Sedna is named after an iniut sea deity (looks like a seal) that rules the coldest regions. Also, Sedna is a moon, not a planet. (It's smaller than our moon). One of our servers at work is named "Sedna" (and yes, it's cold in that server room!).

No-one sensible is calling Sedna a planet.

Edit: And much as it irks me to belittle a mod, no-one who knows what she talks about calls Sedna a moon.

It's a small icy thing far out, most similar to Kuiper Belt Objects (KBOs) like Quaoar. Assumed to be the first discovered body in the Inner Oort Cloud.

Chieftess said:
Sedna is named after an iniut sea deity (looks like a seal) that rules the coldest regions. Also, Sedna is a moon, not a planet. (It's smaller than our moon). One of our servers at work is named "Sedna" (and yes, it's cold in that server room!).

If it is a moon then what planet is it orbitting?

Please, don't make things up.

kittenOFchaos said:
If it is a moon then what planet is it orbitting?

Please, don't make things up.

The sun.

Do a google search for Sedna if you don't believe me.

Look here.

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~mbrown/sedna/

Click on the "Is Sedna a Planet"

It has an excellent article on the "Population classification" definition of a planet

Edit: HAHA! Chieftess and I used the same link!

I think the article is using Sedna as an example to advance their proposal for a classification system for planets. They seem to be saying that if it is round and solitary then it is a planet. If it happens to be round and has lots of friends then its an asteroid. If it ain't round but it is solitary its an asteroid as well.
They use Earth as an example of being solitary and round; therefore according to them it is clearly a planet. But I've heard other astronomers say that because the moon is relatively large, that the Earth and Moon are dual planets which would mean, using the articles classification system, that the Earth and moon are asteroids. :confused:

Let me see if I can dig up my old post on this subject

Well I can't so. I'll try to remember it.

Sedna is the Inuit Goddess of winter, cold and marine animals(I think) Whole story goes her father pushed her off their boat when she tried to get back in he cut off her fingers, her fingers became the marine life(Whales, seals, walrus, yada yada) she sunk to the bottom of the ocean and her cold heart(hatred of her father) keeps the water cold and brings winter about. I think that's it. Gotta remember the last time I wrote this was when Sedna was discovered.

Anyways........why not Sedna? We've already gone through most of the roman/greek panthenon, we're missing dyo-something other the god of wine and parties, heph-something the god of I think blacksmiths......not to many of these guys fit the profile of "Really-small-rock-that-is-colder-then-a-witches-teat-and-is-farther-from-the-sun-then-you-can-even-imagine"

Well no, even if we counted the earth and moon a two different plenetoids (though the moon does largely orbit the earth considering its mass is 1.2% earth's) There still would be no continious range as seen in the other astroid belts.

Perfection said:
There still would be no continious range as seen in the other astroid belts.

You seem to concede here that the Earth is part of an asteroid belt. ;) Can we agree on the term "atypical asteroid" to define the Earth?
I think we should also attempt to agree on how to spell asteroid before we submit our proposal to the astronomer royal. Is it astroid or asteroid? Personally I have no idea how to spell it and I think we should go for which ever sounds coolest. :)

Top Bottom