Why "Waltzing Matilda" for the Dutch?

Kehgrehdid

Chieftain
According to W'pedia, Willem van Oranje's diplo music is Waltzing Matilda. But that's a very Australian song, so why would they play it for the Dutch? Is there a connection I'm not aware of, or is it a different song with meaning to the Netherlands that just sounds similar?

IDK ! o.O For me It is all Deutsch anyway :O - Deutsch have had a "million" of independent kingdoms anyway so I figured .... :O

Deutsch is a German, Adam

As for the OP, I suspect Wiki is just wrong as has been known to happen with some frequency. I don't know what that piece is exactly but it sounds nothing like "Waltzing Matilda"

You are probably rigt there lymond I will try to check that now :) Graaf van Nassau-Dillenburg , Graaf is "prince" that means he was a price of that territory. Married to some prominent lady, later participateted in Utrecht union and he formed Holand and Belgium division :)

The two songs sounds alike but I suspect that the "waltzing matilda" is something like remenant of Dutch sailsman songs and remenant of the legend of a "flying Dutchman" or something like that xD ;)

I don't think they sound at all alike

Well "me thinks" they are a bit alike , not the same obviously but a little bit alike ... oh never mind ;)

I think you are seeing Dutch kangaroos there, Adam :lol:

Flying Dutchman-indian-man ! :lol:

and could never have picked out the Gaelic original unless told as much.
A most horrendous song, if there ever was one. :lol:

On topic, the songs that Farsight linked are nothing alike, except maybe for the fiddle in the beginning of Waltzing Matilda, but it's a stretch. At least I can't hear the similarity.

To be honest "Waltzing Matilda" is a weak song ,, I'd much prefer this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89BlFxuyqYQ but I warn You please do not listen if You are weak on Your stomach , it is a very powerfull song ^^ and save You younglings too ;)

I encountered this problem when putting these songs on my iTunes, and formatting their names such that they have proper titles. (eg. Instead of "Beethoven6 1" I change it to "Symphony No. 6 Movt. 1 'Pastoral.'") When I got around to William's tune, I was wondering why Australia's second national song would be used as the Dutch theme!

Good thing that got noticed.

Don't know about these two but often the same music is used for different songs. For example, the U.S. anthem "The Star Spangled Banner" originated as a poem that was then set to the music of a popular British drinking song. Similarly, the music from the British "God Save the Queen" (or King) was borrowed for the U.S. song "My Country T'is of Thee" (or "America the Beautiful" - I forget which of the two it is.)

You are probably rigt there lymond I will try to check that now :) Graaf van Nassau-Dillenburg , Graaf is "prince" that means he was a price of that territory. Married to some prominent lady, later participateted in Utrecht union and he formed Holand and Belgium division :)
Following up on the 'German Dutch': graf translates into 'count' btw, not 'prince'.

Also, the two songs Farsight linked have absolutely nothing to do with each other IMO.

Deutsch is a German, Adam

He called himself German, at least if the Dutch national anthem is to be believed. He also loyal to the King of Spain, which presents some problem if they are both in a game I suppose.

Top Bottom