will there be any weather effects?

Cissnei

Warlord
Like snow or rain? I would love to see this T_T Only as graphical addiction, not as some new feature... It would snow or rain on some tiles every few turns

I don't see how it's practical, seeing as every turn is a year at least (towards the late-game; early til mid-game is more than 10).

Yeah, I don't really see how this would work. Random events like a tornado/hurricane, floods, plague, harvest failing etc. are one thing, but the graphics in CiV are computer-beasting enough as they are without more cosmetic effects added.

I don't see how it's practical, seeing as every turn is a year at least (towards the late-game; early til mid-game is more than 10).

It doesn't make much sense on paper, but it might more sense if you actually saw it in action.

Ever played Tropico? I would imagine something like that.

it would look nice. And graphics in this game aren't so amazing. It's so slow because AI needs ages to think and move on map >o< It wouldn't make it much slower

Weather effects would actually make things much slower, especially since you want it to vary across the map as it should. Anyone with a computer or laptop that already struggles with the game (like me) would probably have to just turn them off, and it's a lot of effort on the programmers' part for a relatively meaningless change.

Weather effects have no place in the Civ franchise (aside from random events) - two-hundred-year rainstorms or whatever is just silly to me - but I could see adding gradual ecological changes where the earth would become warmer (or colder, or flatter, or more mountainous, etc) as time went by. Probably not really worth the effort of implementing though.:p

Weather effects have no place in the Civ franchise (aside from random events) - two-hundred-year rainstorms

Yes it would be silly [Except for exceptions like Catatumbo lightning fields in Venezuela which have been a near continual thunderstorm for over 1000 years :D]

My laptop can barely run the game with regular graphics as is; a purely cosmetic weather system would be one of the least of my priorities for Civ.

My laptop can barely run the game with regular graphics as is; a purely cosmetic weather system would be one of the least of my priorities for Civ.

I must agree. Not everyone has a high-specced computer. Civ V is meant to be able to be played on standard laptops.

Weather effects that are seen on the map can wait for Civ VI, when minimum requirements increase (and still be playable on laptops).

Weather effects have no place in the Civ franchise (aside from random events) - two-hundred-year rainstorms or whatever is just silly to me - but I could see adding gradual ecological changes where the earth would become warmer (or colder, or flatter, or more mountainous, etc) as time went by. Probably not really worth the effort of implementing though.:p

I would love for at least a scenario to be like that! Deserts spreading, the equator becoming uninhabitable, and receding oceans for warming climate! Growing icecaps and dying jungles for a cooling climate!

thank the stars the devs are not brainwashed with the global warming agenda. :)

Completely agree, i think the game should stay the way it is.

Long term effects would work, even be a game-enhancing experience. For example, the sea ice tiles could slightly and randomly vary between ice and open water. This could potentially open and close sea access paths and have a strategic effect.

Also, jungle turning into plains turning into desert or vice versa would also make sense. If you tied the chances of forestation and de-forestation to whether the neighboring tiles have forests or not, the actions of the civilization would have an effect. Clearing the jungles to get nice grasslands for farming gives your civilization prosperity and growth for centuries. Until the tiles eventually start turning into desert, that is. Entirely in line with historical civilizations.

If forests spread from neighboring forest tiles that would allow you to "manage" your timber resources and effectively create a new economical option as you could turn the natural replenishment into a hammer boost by cutting down "enough but not too much". And just to tempt people to overcut :), as a completely new random option I would allow purchasing non-industrial naval units by cutting down a forest i.e. not simply a hammer boost but you get an additional unit similar like when purchasing with gold but this only for naval units. This also would be historically accurate. Plenty of old civs turned themselves into eroded badlands in their pursuit of quick naval domination.

Global warming is reasonable but i hate random things and tiles changing would be random. As silly as 200 years rainstorms are 6k years tectonics changes. No such thing in real life, not even close.

Why is 40 year long rain bad but building a fish boat for 100 years OK? It would just be for fun and a visual effect

Granted the timescales in Civ have never been realistic. But the length of time it takes to build something depends on the production in that city on a per-turn basis; it's an essential component of the game and is tied into game mechanics in a way that makes sense. Having tiles look rainy for a few turns without affecting anything else would be unnecessary, take up more processing power without adding anything to gameplay, and, yes, would be out of place with the timescale on top of that.

I could see having monsoons, and hurricanes, and volcanoes, and earthquakes, and any number of other natural disasters, occur which actually affect the game. Say, monsoons slow down units, and earthquakes destroy buildings. (Though inevitably there would be a huge outcry from the fan base about how they don't like their strategy being affected by such randomness, I would argue that in a game about history, randomness is not out of place. The tide of history often turns on events no one had any control over. We're building empires, not playing chess.) Those could certainly be depicted visually. But to just have it rain every once in awhile for no reason other than that rain looks neat? No.

Top Bottom