Win 8: better or more problems with C2C

You're all missing the central point (IMO), that if you switch to the desktop in Win8 what you get is just an improved version of the Win 7 desktop (less start menu, but with a more generic search that actually works at least as well once you get used to it).

No metro.

No tiles.

Just a normal desktop.

The Metro UI is for touch screen (primarily tablet/phone) use. If you're on a desktop/laptop you just switch to the desktop at boot up and forget about metro.

Actually, I think you are missing the central point. The new UI is not supposed to be "a UI", it is supposed to be "the UI" (with the desktop being the old, legacy, deprecated UI that they had to include because of all the old software that uses it). They hope to get rid of the desktop entirely in some future version, although the odds of it happening before Windows 12 seems pretty slim and it will probably still be lurking around somewhere in Windows 20. As I understand it, they would like to get rid of the Win16/Win32/Win64 GDI type graphics interface entirely - the new UI and its apps don't use it, they use something new instead. As for why the new stuff can't run in a window in the desktop environment, that would be because they decided not to do that.

Also notice how you can not even have it boot directly to the desktop even if that is how you use it. This is a deliberate choice on their part. The Server 2012 version of Windows allows you to boot directly to the desktop (or run with no GUI, for that matter). The regular versions do not. On purpose. (You can get little 3rd party programs that change it over automatically when booting, just like you can get some that add a start bar back in.)

Aside from the UI peculiarities, the underlying OS itself is apparently quite nice. They have evidently managed to make a new version that has less processing overhead than earlier versions when run on the same hardware.

Actually, I think you are missing the central point. The new UI is not supposed to be "a UI", it is supposed to be "the UI" (with the desktop being the old, legacy, deprecated UI that they had to include because of all the old software that uses it). They hope to get rid of the desktop entirely in some future version, although the odds of it happening before Windows 12 seems pretty slim and it will probably still be lurking around somewhere in Windows 20. As I understand it, they would like to get rid of the Win16/Win32/Win64 GDI type graphics interface entirely - the new UI and its apps don't use it, they use something new instead. As for why the new stuff can't run in a window in the desktop environment, that would be because they decided not to do that.

Also notice how you can not even have it boot directly to the desktop even if that is how you use it. This is a deliberate choice on their part. The Server 2012 version of Windows allows you to boot directly to the desktop (or run with no GUI, for that matter). The regular versions do not. On purpose. (You can get little 3rd party programs that change it over automatically when booting, just like you can get some that add a start bar back in.)

Aside from the UI peculiarities, the underlying OS itself is apparently quite nice. They have evidently managed to make a new version that has less processing overhead than earlier versions when run on the same hardware.

Well, yes. It's a matter of perspective. From future-looking perspective (and Microsoft directional intent) you are absolutely correct. However, from a playing Civ and day-to-day use of your current apps perspective the desktop is all that matters.

Well, I don't see every dev and his dog going and writing new "Modern UI apps" or whatever they're calling them now, so it looks like the desktop will remain the platform of choice for a long time to come.

Well, I don't see every dev and his dog going and writing new "Modern UI apps" or whatever they're calling them now, so it looks like the desktop will remain the platform of choice for a long time to come.

Actually I do, at least for apps that are UI-centric. Market is dramatically shifting towards the tablet space, and being able to write once for tablet and laptop/desktop I a big deal commercially. However, anything with significant processing behind the UI won't for now, though those apps will tend to split into server and front end tiers I think, even if one deployment option is to have both locally.

Actually I do, at least for apps that are UI-centric. Market is dramatically shifting towards the tablet space, and being able to write once for tablet and laptop/desktop I a big deal commercially. However, anything with significant processing behind the UI won't for now, though those apps will tend to split into server and front end tiers I think, even if one deployment option is to have both locally.

Yes, the market is shifting that way, but I was talking about existing Desktop developers and projects, which are still going to be desktop projects, as well as the fact that there are still plenty of new commercial Desktop apps still being made. Given the power of the Desktop compared to the new UI style apps I think that they will both be popular for a long while.

I also look at the market and think that part of the reason that tablet style apps became so dominent was that they had multi-touch capability, but now that Win8 supports Desktop multi-touch I think that Desktop apps (and infact Civ 5 was just updated to explicitly support touch gestures) will adapt and retake some of the ground they lost. But only time will tell.

And I didn't want to leave DOS6.2 either. I might even still have that set of floppies too.

JosEPh

And I didn't want to leave DOS6.2 either. I might even still have that set of floppies too.

JosEPh

Who the heck is this NEW JosEPh_II, with a new Avatar? Dont recognize him :dunno:

I had to dig out an old old avatar my youngest daughter and her then soon to be Bro-in-law made for me when I was Modding and playing MoOIII. I was called the TBS Warlord around the house for sometime back then.

It's too small to see but the Ball cap says Comcast, the blue T-shirt says Insight and they put me in red boxers with hearts on them. :p Of course I had to have a golden shiny Axe too and stand on a hill with my workboots on.

And the caption balloon reads, "It's Not Y"UNS Turn!"

:lol:

Thought somebody besides me might get a kick out of it, now that we're doing the MP game. ;)

I Can be fun and Funny sometimes, but don't get used too it!

JosEPh :)

I still remember being floored with the improvements of Win95 over 3.1

Yeah, but 3.1 wasn't even a pretend OS, while 95 was.

I still have DOS3/5/6 floppies (and W3/W95), but no working PC with a floppie drive. To install my virtual Windows 95 now on Vista, I have to use a pirated ISO DVD (and DOSBox for DOS).

Interesting note about win8, if you are in a Metro app and civ loads while you are using it, you need to hit alt-tab to get your cursor to work ingame.

Awesome, thanks for posting it their lol ;)

You know what, do you know how to do short audio MP3's ??? You have the perfect voice (accent) for most of the quotes needed in C2C, or actually anyone that has an accent really, but it sure would be nice to get alot of the quotes done correctly. Heck even to have a few more would be nice!!

You know what, do you know how to do short audio MP3's ??? You have the perfect voice (accent) for most of the quotes needed in C2C, or actually anyone that has an accent really, but it sure would be nice to get alot of the quotes done correctly. Heck even to have a few more would be nice!!

Heh, I have the perfect voice but not perfect vocabulary... as you know I am doing a lets play and poorly read tech quotes in it (I'm not really trying though and could do a lot better) due to being unable to pronounce many words in this game. If I recorded them I would take extra care however, practice it a few times, use an enthusiastic voice and look up the pronunciation of everything first.

If you do want me to record quotes I'll be more than happy to do all of them! In fact today is my day off so make a new topic, give me a bunch of quotes, ill upload my mp3's, people can say if they like/dislike them and for all the ones people like you are free to use in caveman2cosmos! I am willing to make sure we never have another quote that will be verbalized!

Infact lets do it by eras... start a new topic and give me all the prehistoric era quotes ;)

Heh, I have the perfect voice but not perfect vocabulary... as you know I am doing a lets play and poorly read tech quotes in it (I'm not really trying though and could do a lot better) due to being unable to pronounce many words in this game. If I recorded them I would take extra care however, practice it a few times, use an enthusiastic voice and look up the pronunciation of everything first.

If you do want me to record quotes I'll be more than happy to do all of them! In fact today is my day off so make a new topic, give me a bunch of quotes, ill upload my mp3's, people can say if they like/dislike them and for all the ones people like you are free to use in caveman2cosmos! I am willing to make sure we never have another quote that will be verbalized!

Infact lets do it by eras... start a new topic and give me all the prehistoric era quotes ;)

I believe there is already a whole lot of quotes, talk to Hydro about it.

I believe there is already a whole lot of quotes, talk to Hydro about it.

Maybe... you could give me access to add mp3 files to the svn so I can just find what does and doesn't have verbal quotes yet. Would that work?
If fact looking at the SVN now I can see what has and hasn't been done. I could just go through the tech tree matching up the dones and not dones then record and add them. do they simply need to be named the same name as the tech to work?

Maybe... you could give me access to add mp3 files to the svn so I can just find what does and doesn't have verbal quotes yet. Would that work?
If fact looking at the SVN now I can see what has and hasn't been done. I could just go through the tech tree matching up the dones and not dones then record and add them. do they simply need to be named the same name as the tech to work?

That decision will have to come from Hydro, when he thinks your ready to do so, like i informed you, HE is the Trainer and you the trainee, sorry.:p

Top Bottom