Windows 10, Civ 4 & file associations

I have had zero problems loading modded save games by double clicking them on windows 10.

The file associations work for me (and have always worked) on Win 8.1 with the disc version of the game. I'm attaching a screenshot that shows the Registry key (presumably) responsible for loading savegames from Explorer. Well, I don't suppose that the BtS Registry keys just somehow went missing on lymond's and Nexus's systems. Seems likelier that the system expects them in a different place or that Firaxis's fxsload argument no longer works. One could test the latter hypothesis by running Civ4BeyondSword.exe with that argument from the command line, as in the second attached screenshot. I had copied the QuickSave file into the same folder as the EXE for this, and only the fourth attempt (with slash, equals sign and quotation marks) worked.

And this post in the C2C subforum describes how the associations can be set up without editing the Registry – but I'm not sure if anyone has successfully tested that.

I don't think either approach (regedit, cmd) can work for the Steam version.
Okay, I tried it. Cmd didn't work:
upload_2021-7-19_18-26-0.png

nor regedit :(

Well, Civ4BeyondSword.exe must be somewhere, right? Apparently not in C:\Civilization IV\. Perhaps C:\Civilization IV\Beyond the Sword\? Mine is in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\
:think: Do you think you might have renamed the install folder after the installation? That would have broken the file associations (because the paths in the Registry are then incorrect).

Back to this thread again:
Honestly, not loading my saves from automatically from OS is one of my biggest reasons not to change to Win10 from Win7.
But what about Win11? Did anyone try it on Win11?

Have you tried right click -> open with -> find CIV4 BTS from the menu and click "always open with this program"?

Two notes about loading saves by the fxsload-param. I do not know if this is related to 'wine' or also the same behavior in Windows:

1. You can not mixing /fxsload it with the mod= argument. fxsload will be ignored after 'mod'!
Code:
wine Civ4BeyondSword.exe mod=" $MOD" "/FXSLOAD=\"C:…\""
This is no real problem because the mod name is also encoded in the save, but you has to distinct both cases in a batch script, etc.
(The space before the mod name is needed because Civ4 ignores the first character after "mod=". The double quotes around the mod name will be needed for mod names with spaces.)

2. Normally, you escaping paths with spaces by "…". The fxsload-command only loads my save if I delete the second double quote.
Code:
wine Civ4BeyondSword.exe "/FXSLOAD=\"C:…"

Top Bottom