[GS] Winter (September)(?) 2019 Patch speculation and discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they'd put out a hotfix for the RNDY as I'd really like to play the latest version of England, but I play slowly enough that I can wait a month or two if necessary while playing another two or three civs.

I'm guessing we'll see another substantial patch in August (but probably half the size of the June patch) and that will be it for GS except perhaps bug fixes. And then we'll see new depots pop up in September that will turn out to be a third expansion. But I have no proof of this, just guessing/wishing.

I wish they'd put out a hotfix for the RNDY as I'd really like to play the latest version of England, but I play slowly enough that I can wait a month or two if necessary while playing another two or three civs.

I'm guessing we'll see another substantial patch in August (but probably half the size of the June patch) and that will be it for GS except perhaps bug fixes. And then we'll see new depots pop up in September that will turn out to be a third expansion. But I have no proof of this, just guessing/wishing.

There’s a steam mod that fixes the RND issue. Not a bad solution until FXS properly patch it.

There’s a steam mod that fixes the RND issue. Not a bad solution until FXS properly patch it.
I'd even call it a 'perfect' solution until FXS issues a fix.

I'm pretty sure there are also mods that let you place districts over resources and allow you to remove districts, so I think the people that are complaining about those things should check out the workshop ;)

I'm pretty sure there are also mods that let you place districts over resources and allow you to remove districts, so I think the people that are complaining about those things should check out the workshop ;)

Not everyone wants to use mods though. Even if it's a hot fix. And I agree, mods should be add-ons, not forced to be used because something is broke.

But it's likely a hot-fix and posisbly a smaller scale update is coming soon.

For something like the RND thing, I think a quick mod is better than a hot fix.

A mod just sorts the problem, until it can be properly fixed in the next proper patch.

A hotfix uses a tonne of resources that FXS would otherwise spend working on the next real patch, or a third expansion.

Last edited:
Not everyone wants to use mods though. Even if it's a hot fix. And I agree, mods should be add-ons, not forced to be used because something is broke.

But it's likely a hot-fix and posisbly a smaller scale update is coming soon.

I get not 'everyone' wants to use mods, but in Civ6 there is deep workshop integration in the game. Also, if you're spending time complaining on the internet about the bug, you could take the 5 seconds to install the mod.

If I had to manually go in an change lines of code in DLL files or install a 3rd party patch or something like that, it would be a different story.

If the game requires me to run mods to make it work in a playable, enjoyable fashion, then the game probably wasn't for me in the first place. I means I don't actually like the game, I like someone else's version of the game.

Do you have a link to that one ?

Sadly that's beyond my technical abilities.

Some guys asked about naming and floods on World Builder Maps, and whether named features are supported by World Builder.

Ed said "Rivers will flood properly in our next update. It is easier to designate tiles for contiguous floodplains that should trigger together in a procedurally generated map. Maps where a user gets to place the river edges and floodplains in their preferred order was a bit trickier". (emphasis added)

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-6_11-39-43.png
    upload_2019-7-6_11-39-43.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 383
Sadly that's beyond my technical abilities.

Some guys asked about naming and floods on World Builder Maps, and whether named features are supported by World Builder.

Ed said "Rivers will flood properly in our next update. It is easier to designate tiles for contiguous floodplains that should trigger together in a procedurally generated map. Maps where a user gets to place the river edges and floodplains in their preferred order was a bit trickier". (emphasis added)
Thanks.

Well, actually you can use the game's floodplains placement on manually designed map during loading, but the required condition before calling that code
Code:
TerrainBuilder.GenerateFloodplains(bRiversStartInland, iMinFloodplainSize, iMaxFloodplainSize)
is to first assign IDs to your rivers (that's also what make the game able to give them a name, tracks where/when flooding should happen, and where you can place Dams)

Note that actually simply putting a floodplain terrain type on a map near a river with a valid ID doesn't make it available for flooding, so you have to call the core code using the call above anyway if you want rivers flooding.

So it's possible that both you and @Eagle Pursuit are right, I mean maybe they've updated the floodplains placement code to be more contiguous on all map, WB or not (IIRC I had to lower/raise the iMinFloodplainSize and iMaxFloodplainSize parameters of the function to get satisfactory results for YnAMP fixed maps)

And then I suppose they also added some code to assign a river ID to manually placed rivers, because that's the tricky part Ed's talking about, procedurally generated rivers are placed edge by edge contiguously and the whole river ID is defined when placing the first edge, while someone working on a map may start by one end of the river, place a portion in the middle of its course, place the portion near the sea, then join everything together, ending with a river with as many multiple ID as there was separate portions placed (if we'd use directly the same code as procedural river)

For YnAMP I used a pathfinder code on all rivers of a mod's maps data to get their individual IDs first, then I place them with the game's code and correct IDs. Then I call the TerrainBuilder.GenerateFloodplains function. And there, you have it, convert WB maps to YnAMP, allowing dams and rivers naming/flooding.

Ho, and maybe they've also added some code to manually place floodplains that generates flooding along those rivers, and, if the gods of modding are favorable, maybe they've finally exposed to us the code to assign names to geographical features so we can use it for TSL maps (in a simpler way that what would be needed currently, that is).

Because I think I'm going to wait a few turn before denouncing them, but maybe I'll go for a surprise war, because I mean, surely, no DLL source code released by now is a perfect casus belli, knowing that all of the above could have been fixed/added the week after GS release if we had access to it.

Last edited:
So it's possible that both you and @Eagle Pursuit are right, I mean maybe they've updated the floodplains placement code to be more contiguous on all map, WB or not (IIRC I had to lower/raise the iMinFloodplainSize and iMaxFloodplainSize parameters of the function to get satisfactory results for YnAMP fixed maps)

Ed's response was to my tweet where I asked him if there was something wrong, as of now, any WorldBuilder made maps have no named rivers (although he got confused about it at first so I had to explain to him).

He then reiterated that issue is getting fixed in the next update whenever that may be. (yay). Which should stop having people to rely on your mod (which in turn makes a dependency on it) to fix said issue, and for example, to me, I still can't get the game to load my map.

Ed's response was to my tweet where I asked him if there was something wrong, as of now, any WorldBuilder made maps have no named rivers (although he got confused about it at first so I had to explain to him).

He then reiterated that issue is getting fixed in the next update whenever that may be. (yay). Which should stop having people to rely on your mod (which in turn makes a dependency on it) to fix said issue, and for example, to me, I still can't get the game to load my map.
Well, I'll still have conditional TSL/features/terrain placement, real city naming, custom NW true location, the ability to play on custom sections of a map, regional placement of resources and the developing scenarios features to propose :D

BTW your loading issue should have been fixed by last Tuesday patch on gitHub, pushed a few minutes ago on Steam, next time remember to provide full logs in the bug report section please, I had to do a lot of guess work (and maybe haven't fixed your real problem there)

Well, I'll still have conditional TSL/features/terrain placement, real city naming, custom NW true location, the ability to play on custom sections of a map, regional placement of resources and the developing scenarios features to propose :D

BTW your loading issue should have been fixed by last Tuesday patch on gitHub, pushed a few minutes ago on Steam, next time remember to provide full logs in the bug report section please, I had to do a lot of guess work (and maybe haven't fixed your real problem there)

Hey... love your mod. I played Play Europe Again with Historic Speed as Phoenicia and had a real blast

Although I should have disabled Antioch and Jerusaleum cause I was sandwiched AF. Tried editing their start position in xml and it didnt have an effect.

In the past two days, there has been an update to each of the two usual PC test branches and well as the Mac and Linux internal QA branches.

So it appears they're continuing steady work on the next patch.

Oh boy! Let's get that RND and WB fix out there!

Ever since this new patch came in June the first thing I wanted to do was play a 7 Seas map as England... so I've been patiently waiting for the the RND to get fixed. I've been keeping myself busy doing a Germany play-through.

I do hope they fix World Builder too, I don't know about you guys but I have more trouble with WB than just rivers not having names or flooding. I always get errors trying to use and load up maps I generate. They won't load up for me at all if I try and start a new game with a map I made. I must be doing something wrong.

Have there been any updates to the branches lately? I'm still wondering what the surprise is.

It was "surprises" rather than a singular "surprise" - but I think the most we can expect before a potential XP3 announcement later in the year is another patch or two. Perhaps I'll be surprised!

Have there been any updates to the branches lately? I'm still wondering what the surprise is.

Updates have been crazy this week. The 2kqa_b branch updated 4 times yesterday, until the late evening. I don't think this is indicative that they are coming to an end though. Aspyr is still working with their internal qa branches and haven't presented anything to 2K yet. Typically when they present to 2K, it means they are close to a finished patch. But as we saw last time, that doesn't mean 2K will accept their presented build. It could go back and forth for several weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom