Wiped out civilization's can make comeback!

Some1

Warlord
This is from a first ever game I played in Civ5 v1.0.0.20
I was playing as Wu Zetian on Continents map. Besides me there were Harun Al-Rashid and Montezuma on same continent. Al resided between me and Monty.

The Fairytale:
Monty wasn't fan of Al, so they ended up in conflicts...
Al was giving Wu some headache being too close for Wu's comfort, so they had their conflicts as well.
Since Al was between a rock and a hard place he took the beating from both ends.

The Fairytale 2 - The Fall of the Al:
After a while they got tired of Al, Monty and Wu declared war on him.
Monty took one of his cities - making it a puppy of his! Wu took Al's capital with ease.
Al had no chance but to succumb to his superiors, leaving the game in tears.

The Fairytale 3 - The Fall of the Monty:

Wu found no other use to her new shiny army but to attack Monty with it. - Who fell like a pantyhose on a five dollar baby!
Now defeated Al, sitting in the corner of the sandbox weeping his tears realized he would soon have company.
Before so cocky Monty, now completely devastated by Wu's vicious backstabbing, left with no choice but to take Al's path to the corner of the sandbox.

The Fairytale 4 - The Al's comeback:
In process, Wu decided to liberate Al's puppy from Monty's chains. - Gaining an excellent opportunity to twist her knife in Monty's back.
The Great Wu enjoyed her accomplishments.
Thrilled Al, reunited with his beloved puppy, resumed to play his game beside of The Great Wu.

The Fairytale 5 - The World's End:
The Great Wu let false hopes rise within Al. - Wu was only repositioning her forces...
Moments later Al's beloved puppy was stripped from his caring hands by cold blooded Wu. - Needless to say, Al felt disappointed. Once more he had to abandon his favorite game because of the ruthless :):):):):).

Wu wasn't satisfied by her success! - After defeating the splinters in her arse, The Great Wu decided to take on the rest of the playground!
With little resistance, the omnipotent Wu quickly took over the whole sandbox, forcing remaining players to leave their cherished sandbox in the hands of the cruel Wu!
The band of defeated had no choice but to watch Wu in awe as she played One More Turn... after One More Turn... after One More Turn....

Finally, Wu got tired and quit the game, the band knew their time had come...

...i think during writing your nice tales you forgot to actually post the bug.

And you might not be aware of some of the game rules: If you liberate another civs capital, the civ will be resurrected and you get their vote for the diplomatic victory.

...i think during writing your nice tales you forgot to actually post the bug.

And you might not be aware of some of the game rules: If you liberate another civs capital, the civ will be resurrected and you get their vote for the diplomatic victory.
Apparently! Hope you all like it! :D
There was this nice love triangle going on you know... and all of a sudden I ended up with that. :blush: And I even enjoyed writing it! Crazy, huh? :mischief:

The BUG In a nutshell:
Monty and I wipe out the Al.
I take Al's capital (no puppeteering).
Monty takes his 2nd city (which now is capital) and makes it a puppet. No more Al in this point! He was eliminated!
Next I go after Monty!
I decide to liberate the "non-capital-capital" city of Al's from Monty (since I had the option). After that I completely eliminate Monty.
All of a sudden Al is back in game.

In this case I had their original capital!
But I still liberated his last city (which had in this point become a capital because the original one fell before it).
Considering the rule: If you liberate another civs capital, the civ will be resurrected and you get their vote for the diplomatic victory.
It depends how you interpret it! Bug or no Bug.

Now I wonder what would've happened if original capital would've fallen last. Would Al been wiped off permanently or could've he returned to sandbox? :D

In this example, it might even be handy if you can post the .civ5replay file as well, from when you finish the game.

I think you can liberate any city of an opponent, it does not have to be their capital. A nation does not need a capital city to vote in the UN. Liberating a founding capital city might affect domination victories.

Perhaps someone else can confirm that.

You can liberate any of their cities and they can make a return as far as I can tell. I remember liberating Greece by taking Sparta from someone. Athens was under my control already I believe.

You can liberate any of their cities and they can make a return as far as I can tell. I remember liberating Greece by taking Sparta from someone. Athens was under my control already I believe.
Indeed this seems to be the case. Based on civ4 and human history this seems quite absurd.

Unfortunately no savegame prior the event. Got only 5 endgame savegames (manual ones). Autosaves seem to be destroyed/rewritten with new ones :S

Nevertheless, here's the replay and the map file. Would've made *.html file but the civ5replay.py console doesn't seem to start at all for me :( (64-bit Win7 may be the case?)

Attachments

• Wu Zetian replay.zip
    15.2 KB · Views: 55
I concur that from my play experience defeated civs return to the game if you liberate any puppet. It does not have to be the original capital.

I'd say this is not a bug but by design. Think of it as liberating a portion of the original empire who can now take up arms and assist you in taking out their erstwhile conquerors.

After all, civilizations can still fight on even after their capital is taken. It stands to reason that if you restore a government-in-exile to one of their original holdings they would once again be a functioning nation.

Here's the replay html file.

By the way, I really wish you'd chosen a different shortened name than Al. It looks like AI and I keep reading it that way.

Turn 135 is where it's at, and it looks like the replay file does not handle it properly.

Attachments

• Wu Zetian replay.zip
    239.4 KB · Views: 46
Here's the replay html file.
Thanks, I was hoping someone would boomerang it back to me.
By the way, I really wish you'd chosen a different shortened name than Al. It looks like AI and I keep reading it that way.

I chose Al because I got some weird flashback at some point from Al Bundy, Married with Children! :lol:
Thankfully there's very slight difference between L l and I i...
Turn 135 is where it's at, and it looks like the replay file does not handle it properly.
Turn 113
Medina (Harun al-Rashid) was captured by the Aztec Empire!!!
The Arabian Civilization has been conquered!!!

Turn 135
Wu Zetian completes The Porcelain Tower
Medina (Montezuma) was captured by the Chinese Empire!!!
The Aztec Civilization has been conquered!!!
has made peace with Wu Zetian!
has made peace with !

Wu Zetian declares war on Harun al-Rashid!
Medina (Harun al-Rashid) was captured by the Chinese Empire!!!
The Arabian Civilization has been conquered!!!

Was about to say, how so: All of it happened within same turn. I Liberated Rashid and then I took him down second time.
Then I noticed those lines I underlined.
I think there should read:
Harun al-Rashid has made peace with Wu Zetian!
Harun al-Rashid has made peace with Montezuma!????

Off topic...
How can I do strikethrough?

Top Bottom