WoC v1.00 Bug Thread - NOT Specific Modules

Check the xml for comments, esp. at the end of the file (i.e. after the last definition). For some reason those sometimes cause assertion failures.

Not sure it was specifically this error though.

Hi,

cudos, awesome project! However, I'll start right away with a little bug report.

Error Message (during map generating): "python findStartingPlot() returned an invalid plot index!" in CvPlayer.cpp, line 1962.

This happens whenever I start a game during the second half of the map generating process, no matter if modules are installed into WoC or not. If I ignore it, I can continue and start playing.

Btw, Terrain looks "blue-marbly" and I get civ4lerts notifications, so the WoC modules seem to load and work fine so far.

Espionage cannot be disabled when WoC is running. Play a custom game, and select "No Espionage." Espionage will be implemented anyway. The only modules I'm running are the three resource packs, and I doubt that those would affect espionage in any way.

I have an extreme dislike for Espionage. :wallbash:

Somehow we forgot to include the No Espionage game option while merging/changing the SDK, which led to several problems, like the missing Info Screen. It will be fixed in the upcoming core version.

Error Message (during map generating): "python findStartingPlot() returned an invalid plot index!" in CvPlayer.cpp, line 1962.

This happens whenever I start a game during the second half of the map generating process, no matter if modules are installed into WoC or not. If I ignore it, I can continue and start playing.

Could you give some information on what map (Fractal, Hemispheres, etc.) you are generating? And if it's a cylindrical map or any other?

Could you give some information on what map (Fractal, Hemispheres, etc.) you are generating? And if it's a cylindrical map or any other?
Huge, 70% sea, normal humidity Tectonics map (cylindrical).

It's reproducably the same error every time, as long as I choose "always ignore" I seem to be getting no further errors after that one, at least during the first couple of hundred turns so far.

Further info (possibly unrelated):
Standard number of civs, difficulty on noble, Marathon game, if that's of any interest.
On a side note, I had a CTD once so far when using the "5 new civics" modpack.
Blue Marble, ranged combat, diversity, civ4lerts, and so on seem to work flawless.

We have tested some different configurations and our conclusion is that there is a minor bug in tectonics.py which triggers the failed assert reported by Sgt.Keel

It has something to do with the findStartingPlot() Python function, but I don't see it yet...

We have tested some different configurations and our conclusion is that there is a minor bug in tectonics.py which triggers the failed assert reported by Sgt.Keel

It has something to do with the findStartingPlot() Python function, but I don't see it yet...
Quick update: The error does *not* occur when I choose the largest map (Gigantic). It does occur on (all?) smaller map sizes. Possibly something like the map origin not being set correctly on smaller maps?

Hello,

I've loaded the mod without putting English in the game option.. and, i was surprised to see it was working!!

I looked a bit, and the text for some units have been traduced...
well...
it's nice yet, but, it's not fine French at all!! :D

dunno who did it, who make the packs for the team..
but, if i'm getting mailed the units/buildings description..
I guess i can have a look from my work, and get it traduced in a real French...
i would be proud to bring a little contribution then! :p

(it's more usefull than if i just correct it in my home installed files... and loose thoses changes if the packs are updates and file replaced then later!!! no??)
:D

(by the way, a real bug i though i've read about and can't find again here... i have no health icons or happiness icons in cities... no religion icons in civic screens... someone saw where it was discussed about?? )
thanx

Antarious and myself do most of the translations, we use the civ4translator, which is close but not always accurate as you are finding out. Were glad it works in French, i just spent the better part of 2 evenings doing another translation, so that makes me happy it is appreciated. That said if you have better corrected translation Id be happy to include them.

hmmm

sure i'd like, maybe i could do spanish translations by the way too... (if no real spanish is under our hands...)

if i take the different XML of the different pacs, and correct it for thoses 2 languages... i can send it back to you, and u update the packs???
(pack after pack would be nice way....

could be done in such a way then???
:p

i'm yet working on the traduction for French/Spanish

i'm doing pack after pack... (i'm currently on the "Unit statistics", and it' a loooong one!!:D)

for unit statistics, i found on the original forum of it, that there's a new version with Italian & German
so i'm importing thoses changes too.

i fixed some "bugs" i found too, in the WoC Version of It... (misplacement of some lines and things untraduced...)

I realized by the way, that Unit statistic in WoC wasn't the last version avaible...
will that be fixed??
i would do this myself, but, no idea of WoC specific adaptations...
(just replace the old *.py y new ones, if no new files and same names?? and the same for XML??)

and what about the upcoming WoC Packs??
would be wiser to fix languages before releasing them??
no?

First off, I just want to say that I love the concept of this project, and that I cannot wait until you get to 2.00... Anyway, I have a couple of errors to note, and I'm not sure where they came from, as I'm not too adept with the coding and such.

The major error (in that it crashed my game) is related to, I believe, Zoroastrianism. Let me recap in detail...

I downloaded the core and all of the modules except the graphic ones (Blue Marble, etc.) yesterday. I should note now that my PC is old and barely seemed to run vanilla Civ IV. I had an issue in that when I first installed vanilla a couple of years ago, I did not do it in the default folder. THe WOC shortcut did not find the BTS.exe, and when I changed the path, it did not find the mod. I fixed this by moving the entire mod folder. Of course, this issue is entirely my fault.

The first thing I noticed about the mod is that it takes significantly longer for the program to get going. When I click on the BTS shortcut, the loading screen appears about ten seconds later on my screen. When I clicked on the WOC shortcut, it was about five minutes before the loading screen was onscreen. There are no other changes to my game. I have no other mods or non-standard content anywhere in my install. I have no idea why it takes so much longer to start the mod, and I will need to start a different mod to see if it takes a similar amount of time.

Once the game was finally up and running, I decided to play a quick test game, to see how the changes work. I selected Nazi Germany, warlord difficulty and seven random opponents, and started it up. And then I thought it was on it's way to it's first crash... The start-up screen stating the basic Civ information never showed, and I thought that game was not going to play. Next thing I know, I'm looking at a hunter and a settler.

The first thing I noted that I thought was odd was the Nazi flag. I expected a swastika, and was looking at a gray flag, which might've had a different shade of gray drawn on it, but I couldn't tell. Nothing that truly affects the gameplay, but I thought that if the swastika wasn't displayed, then at least the Imperial Tri-color would be shown. A variant of the original Reichskreigsflagge would be appropriate. Is this an error, or has the flag not been included with the mod?

I never actually saved the game manually. I was planning on turning the game off a few minutes after it crashed on me. Anyway, I'm playing through the game, meeting six of my seven rivals, and only one is from a mod, Queen Teuta of the Albanians. I noticed that the picture of her on the diplomacy screens (and Adolf Hitler on another screen) is only about half the size of the standard leaders. Is this intentional?

I thought it was a little imbalanced that I started with a fairly powerful hunter, who could easily take out Asoka's warrior, but it was odd that the
hunter couldn't pillage Asoka's improvements. Also, I couldn't build another hunter until I built a Lodge, which I have still put off. None of this is an error though, I don't think.

The only other issues I noted was the Unit Statistics screen. It seems that the only screen that shows is the player statistics. When I clicked on the unit statistics text, it showed the same screen. I played several Warlords games in ViSa, and I remember it having more information, so I guess this is an error.

All of the early religions got snapped up by the AI, but I saw an opportunity to get my own with my slight tech lead by the time I picked Theology. The game autosaved the turn that I gained the technology, and I'm attaching that autosave. I get the technology, and the game lets me pick my religion. The options left to me are Judaism, Taoism (I think) and Zoroastrianism. Since I'm trying out the changes, I selected the new religion, which crashed my game. I reloaded the autosave, and selected the same religion with the same result.

Overall, I love and am slightly overwhelmed by the changes. I truly appreciate all of the hard work you guys have put into this. And I look forward to future releases.

I'm going to post small blurbs in what I think are the appropriate threads, and reference this long thread, instead of writing it all out again. To recap, the errors that I noted are:

*Nazi flag (3rd Civs module)
*Unit Statistics (3rd Game Concept module)
*Zoroastrianism (1st Religions module)

Attached: Autosave.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-0320.CivBeyondSwordSave
    157.9 KB · Views: 91
@Herandar IV first of all welcome. yes the woc does take longer to load, should be fine speed wise after that. the reason for this it that we havent fpk the art files. So loading will be slower.

1. Nazi flag, ill have to check on that one.
2. Hunter it is more powerful strength wise "3" so to balance that you cant pillage. Plus it carries the Hawk for recon. Took me awhile to get the hawk sounds added.
3. Leaderhead size, ive never noticed that, I will check that thanks.
4. Unit stats, we left the extra info out on purpose for now. It is a memory hug. If you want the other info i can give you instructions.
5. The choose relgion option will crash every time. We have a fix for it for 1.1, but for now do not choose that option.

Keep reporting we cant catch all bugs and we appreciate it. And welcome to WoC.

2. Hunter it is more powerful strength wise "3" so to balance that you cant pillage. Plus it carries the Hawk for recon. Took me awhile to get the hawk sounds added.

That makes sense. Of course, I haven't been able to create a hawk yet, since I haven't built the lodge. I'm going to keep playing, and look for more bugs. Thanks.

3. Leaderhead size, ive never noticed that, I will check that thanks.

This seems to be the issue for any image for modified units... I am just looking through the Civilopedia right now, and have a perfect example:

The Cherokee Civilization is from the mod, and the Chinese is unaltered from the published game. THe Cherokee leader, UU and UB are all modified, and the images for all are about half the size of the Chinese. As the Cherokee starting techs are standard and unmodified, they are full size. I've attached both the Cherokee and Chinese Pedia entries, though I think the difference is obvious, and the Chinese image is unnecessary.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Cherokee Pedia.JPG
    Cherokee Pedia.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Chinese Pedia.JPG
    Chinese Pedia.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 74
Top Bottom