World Congress

ryan39

Chieftain
How detailed do you think this will be? Will be able to ban luxury resources from warmongering civilizations?, ban trading in general to a certain civilization?, automatically have every 'trust-worthy' civilization declare war on them? I am running ideas through my mind, especially since one of my friends is a warmongering menace EVERY game.

From the website:

World Congress: The importance of diplomacy is intensified and city-state alliances are more important than ever. Change the diplomatic landscape through a new World Congress that votes on critical issues like implementing trade sanctions against rogue nations, limiting resource usage, designating host cities for the World Games, and the use of nuclear weapons. Game-changing resolutions, vote trading, intrigue and a new lead-in to the Diplomatic Victory ensures that the end of the game will be more dynamic than ever before.

The world congress begins the moment the first civ discovers all other civs. I'm not sure I like that, because it means the world congress can begin fairly early. In real life the first time we saw anything like a world congress was the League of Nations, which was founded after WWI.

I also think civs should be able to choose whether or not they want to belong to the world congress. America refused to participate with the League of Nations, and civs should be able to do the same with the world congress.

One of the articles says you also have to discover the Printing Press and all civs to unlock it.

And there is also a fine line between a world congress having enough power that it influences the game, and having so much power that it can control civs.

I don't want to be controlled by some world congress. I am the leader of my civ, and if I don't like what the world congress is doing then I should have the option of being a rogue/belligerent civ.

I will definitely have nothing to do that with that Alex-dominated charade of a "World Congress" after he denounced me the xnth time!

Spoiler :

Nothing!:mad:

It should be the discovery of industrialization or something like that, printing press is way too early.

I think that is about right, when information begins to pass more freely.

It think it could fit. Sorta reminds me of the HRE in Europa Universalis...
Yes it does. I cannot wait for EUIV by the way.

And there is also a fine line between a world congress having enough power that it influences the game, and having so much power that it can control civs.

I don't want to be controlled by some world congress. I am the leader of my civ, and if I don't like what the world congress is doing then I should have the option of being a rogue/belligerent civ.
I agree and this is most likely how it will be. Hopefully it will not be like the Apostolic Palace voting (Civ4), this system rather annoyed me. I seemed to always be a villain.

I agree. In Civ 4 I always made sure I had enough votes to effectively control the UN resolutions. Building the UN basically made the other nations of the world my puppets at that point. Often I would build up huge nuclear stockpiles, then ban production of nuclear weapons. If I didn't control the UN, I generally just defied the resolutions.

I will definitely have nothing to do that with that Alex-dominated charade of a "World Congress" after he denounced me the xnth time!

Nothing!:mad:

Can you imagine him and Monty in the World Congress? :lol:

This. I don't want to be controlled, or be able to control, other civs.

Wait, what's wrong with North Korea? I think they are a perfect country to be in the World Congress. They don't have any dangerous or unpredictable history or anything. :D

I don't see why not? :smug:

Can you imagine him and Monty in the World Congress? :lol:

From experience, I could almost picture Moctezuma being on his knees, groveling at the mighty glory of the supposed Son of Herakles and the Greatest of the Diadokhoi, instead of being a proper world leader

Kind of like Ahmedinejad, Kim Jong Un, Hugo Chavez, or Robert Mugabe?

Nah, it'll be the players who will be the Pariah Civ. Everyone will gang up on him/her/it, especially if Alex runaways like crazy :(

I think the Congress will be something like a mish-match between the Civ IV UN and the Congress from the Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod. That was mainly Cities changing hands, but I still loved it. On a more unrelated note, I hope they reintroduce plagues spreading through trade routes like in Rhye's and Fall of Civilization. I guess it could give you a 50% growh penalty for ten turns or something.

Nah, it'll be the players who will be the Pariah Civ. Everyone will gang up on him/her/it, especially if Alex runaways like crazy :(

I'd be more concerned about the Irouois, if it were me. ;)

I think the Congress will be something like a mish-match between the Civ IV UN and the Congress from the Rhye's and Fall of Civilization mod. That was mainly Cities changing hands, but I still loved it. On a more unrelated note, I hope they reintroduce plagues spreading through trade routes like in Rhye's and Fall of Civilization. I guess it could give you a 50% growh penalty for ten turns or something.

Top Bottom