World War II Infantry Collection

Yes, I think he should take smaller steps. But he looks great as always, Gary. :goodjob:

Do you plan to make Russians? :deal:

How about this? Maybe this looks more like a run?

@ John Faulkner: Thanks John. Much appreciated. I have a couple of Russians clothed and ready. I just need to run them through all the steps of getting them ready for animation.

You are on the right way, now its looks he's running. Maybe he needs more flexibility in his knees. :)

His arms look like they are too far off to the side, that is what looked funny to me. Like the top part of his body is wading through a deep river and he's trying not to get his arms wet.

I don't know, really... he doesn't look like someone carrying a weapon in a battlezone. I think he should bear it in readiness, like this:

I second Ares' suggestion. Plus, he still walks a little funny; he walks as if he's got a load of s*** stuck in his pants. :lol:

So what's next? ;)

A new marine (stockier), a WW 2 Ranger (Pacific theater), and a European theater US rifleman (somewhat different color than the Firaxis US Rifleman). All three units use the M-1 Garand rifle and will be released as a pack.

Also I've worked up an entirely new run animation which I hope looks a bit more natural. :)

After some self reflection these past couple days I think I have a new lease on unit making. :)

Oh, and by the way, make sure you have a look at the M1 sounds I uploaded to the Database.

Really good, Gary. :)
Do you plan such packs for Russia and Germany, too?

Thanks guys. I gave the pack a second look over and decided that I don't like the way the unit holds the rifle as well as I thought I did. However, since I already have 5 of the 6 units done I will still go ahead and finish unit # 6 and release it. The rifle position doesn't look bad I don't think but it does need improvement. The run animation is the big difference. I'm still not 100% happy with the run, maybe 90% but I think I'm a lot closer to a natural looking run than I was before. The death could use some sprucing up too. Hopefully when I do my next pack I'll have some of these issues worked out.

@John Falkner: Thanks. My tentative goal is to run through my inventory of weapons for the US, UK, Germany and Russia and create similar "unit packs". Japan, Italy, France and minor combatants are on my agenda too, however, I'm going to have to do some creative shuffling around of props and clothing to get those nations covered as I don't have any uniforms directly designed for them.

Below is a sample of the first unit. Let me know what you all think. Like I say I'm aware that it isn't perfect but I think it's my best unit yet.

looks really great Gary. :thumbsup: the one thing I noticed is that the kick on attk A seems to come after it should where the second one seems spot on (I'm assuming attk B)

looks really great Gary. :thumbsup: the one thing I noticed is that the kick on attk A seems to come after it should where the second one seems spot on (I'm assuming attk B)

It's just the one attack. The attack animation is a short 7 frame animation (which I have playing several times in the preview) to simulate rapid fire of the weapon. I checked it in game with the US Rifleman sounds and the game engine plays the firing sound at the beginning of each animation, so the quick animation will play the firing sound quickly and correclty as I need it to.

As far as the kick. I think you may be right. I placed the kick just after the frame where the flash disappears. I'm thinking maybe it would be more natural to have it simultaneous with the flash disappearing. Something I'll have to work on with future packs. Hopefully the unit is still very usable. I think I'm about 90% on to what I want in a unit. At the very least I think this one is an improvement over my past units. A few more hills to climb and hopefully I'll get to the Balou point. That's my goal. :)

Top Bottom