Worst neighbor?

I love using Genghis as an attack dog. Only problem is he frequently beats the people I bribe him into attacking and becomes the only AI who can "challenge" me (believe me, I use that term lightly when it refers to AIs).

In my most recent game I had a Defensive Pact with him and he attacked Askia, whom I also had a Defensive Pact with, causing me to go to war with him, which was when he went from Friendly to Guarded.

The rep hit from this caused Askia to denounce and eventually attack me...stupid, stupid AI.

Edit: Didn't even notice your screenname :lol:

Yes, I'm the lurking tiny thing in the ocean who waits for a veeeeeeeeeeery long time before revealing his true colors in the late game!:D

Yeah I noticed the GDR and the explicitly named "Culture Bomb".
Figured this might be another joke come true. Who doesn't love this picture?

I've had it smacked in the face from Spain and Russia, but I also notice this tends to happen only on Prince games. On King, they just nuke you without the pretense of threat.

ie. I wish we could threaten them in reverse, in the form of additional dialogue!

Evil as hell and that barbarian recruit snowball of his will have him showing up with 15 units to attack my archer if I leave him to it. I do full early rush to kill with that sucker.

Alex is pretty bad too as well as oda. Alex dies before his UUs come up period. Cripple oda and he will back off.

Monty, Hiawatha, and genghis are all early attackers too but they are easy to beat off early and don't hold grudges over the war so I don't mind as much. They are also useful, you just have to get them pointed in the right direction.

Evil as hell and that barbarian recruit snowball of his will have him showing up with 15 units to attack my archer if I leave him to it. I do full early rush to kill with that sucker.

Alex is pretty bad too as well as oda. Alex dies before his UUs come up period. Cripple oda and he will back off.

Monty, Hiawatha, and genghis are all early attackers too but they are easy to beat off early and don't hold grudges over the war so I don't mind as much. They are also useful, you just have to get them pointed in the right direction.

The crippling part is the hardest, Oda tends to enter a near-permanent war with me at the start of the game should I have the bad luck to start even remotely near him.

The crippling part is the hardest, Oda tends to enter a near-permanent war with me at the start of the game should I have the bad luck to start even remotely near him.

Don't bother crippling him if you start off as neighbors. Just rush him.

You'll save yourself a lot of future trouble that way.

Is that really such a smart idea? If I bumrush him to make sure he doesn't bumrush me, I'll probably be considered a warmonger by every other civ, making their DoW's inevitable.
By the time Oda DoW's me it's usually to late, as my cities get surrounded by warriors that fight as a complete unite even when there's only one guy left standing.

Sure, why not?

If your first encounter tends to have his mood set as Neutral and (covets your lands), then I do not see any reason to not rush the hell out of him before he unlocks swordsmen. Even if he desires Friendly relations, I wouldn't trust a whit of that at all though. You will very much be missing on building up your capital in the first 100 turns, but if the payoff is that you have one less dangerous neighbor to worry about and the continent is all yours, then its pretty much worth the push. It certainly means that any future wars you may fight won't be against an opponent whose wounded units fight on full strength, whose jet fighters and stealth bombers are just death incarnate.

I've done it before, and other than Polynesia who took sometime to turn guarded, the other civs were pretty okay with me.

Hiawatha and Bismarck

I expect Alex and others to attack me eventually, but these two will attack for absolutely no reason.

I've been attacked by Hiawatha when he had one city and a tiny empire. Bismarck attacked me once while a runaway France was halfway through destroying his empire.

I can play a 100% peaceful game and eventually these two are going to attack anyway.

Worst neighbor? Simple.

It's Gandhi.

Why?

No matter how peaceful I'm trying to be for various types of victory, that civ is always begging to be conquered. And I can never resist, which then leads me to cancel all my plans and go for domination.

Thanks Gandhi.

Elizabeth is a cnut She loves early invasions and she's good at them too, brings a formidable force. Bismark is pretty awful too, rarely makes much progress but can be a huge distraction having to fend him off when you'd rather be invading someone else. I really dislike being near Pachacuti as well, he's very difficult to invade and I suffer the most losses when attacking him than any other civ.

Elizabeth is a cnut She loves early invasions and she's good at them too,

Actually, Cnut was more of a statesman than a warmonger, probably more like the real Elizabeth.

So no, not really a Cnut. More of a William the Conqueror imo. :king:

It's probably best that you do, Ghandi is the master of the deceptive backstab. He is all smiles until he smells blood at which point he DoW you with no denouncement through a Defensive Pact and a DoF.

Delhi can be quite painful to take sometimes (my last hit required 7 artillery, some with logistics and four infantry for success AFTER I wiped out his army). But it usually has wonders on every street corner too.

Worst neighbor? Simple.

It's Gandhi.

Why?

No matter how peaceful I'm trying to be for various types of victory, that civ is always begging to be conquered. And I can never resist, which then leads me to cancel all my plans and go for domination.

Thanks Gandhi.

It's probably best that you do, Ghandi is the master of the deceptive backstab. He is all smiles until he smells blood at which point he DoW you with no denouncement through a Defensive Pact and a DoF.

Delhi can be quite painful to take sometimes (my last hit required 7 artillery, some with logistics and four infantry for success AFTER I wiped out his army). But it usually has wonders on every street corner too.

True. Teaching Ghandi a lesson for crossing you is sometimes more pain than it's worth.

Top Bottom