Wow... Just wow. Its shocking how much things change.

Just out of curiosity, how do you browse your earliest posts? I can only go up to 300 ago, which was like January. And when I do threads, I can only you know, see the threads I started. And I didn't start making threads until I was a halfway decent poster. When I surfed through them last night, I found out two years ago I wasn't that awful a poster, so I want to go earlier than 2009, like 2008 to see how really bad it was :p

So, how?

yeah i want to know too, to see just how pathetic i was back then.

my first post ever:

second post

it.. uh, appears i didn't improve that much. then again i was at the height of my maturity.

-My first post ever:

for some reason mine dosen't work, my configuration settings say that none of the python, XML, art, etc. are loaded, and when i try the 1000A.D. Mongol, it doesn't start with settlers or workers, is there a problem that i can fix because i really like this unit.:sad:

In a thread about some mod component, apparently I disliked punctuation back then :lol:

After that, the rest of my posts in the Civ forum don't seem that bad, in fact, they seem normal. I guess it wasn't until I got into the OT that I devolved into a messy pile of noobishness

-My first post in the OT was in March of 2009... in an Israel thread...

Not even going to open that one... too scarring :cringe:

-Seventh post in the WH forum:

Spoiler :
Oh, thanks for jogging my memory! Oh, you forgot one person though, the ultimate war-mongering military tactician of all time...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

omg I was Dommy

Actually, my first couple OT posts weren't terrible. The following are a couple I grabbed:

Spoiler :
:rolleyes: okay then would we move to antarctica? Or should we give that land back to the penguins? I'm just saying, there will always be someone to give the land back to.

Conservapedia calls everyone bad a liberal. Just saying. ;)
And I was about a +3/0 at the time IIRC!

I'm not linking to any of my first posts in the Civ sections though... those were really, really bad.

My first post was in the thread juxtapositions thread.

It was

Hot babes NNN - princesses
Why can't I pick from the kids menu?

or something.

I'm not about to look at my old posts because they'd be really embarrasing. I remember I used to post the most effeminate things here to see if that was any fun, and it was fun, but it was really annoying what people said about me, so I've tried to not be like that much anymore.

I noticed Dommy improved himself a lot since I started reading a lot of his posts last. That was pretty cool, I was thinking about complimenting him on his wall the other day, but I forgot and never got around to it. Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right? :p

Need more of you on OT:goodjob:

Here is my first post:

After the war with Britain, do you plan on invading Austria-Hungary?

Oddly enough, you can find some of Zelet's earliest posts right below mine. :lol:

I also edited the name to reflect what it originally was.

It seems like I didn't change much since my first post back in 2006:

Amazing, how many things one hears about a man after he is dead. It must have been a preety busy last day for Litvinenko, what with the letter acusing Putin, and now this.

I actually joined CFC to discuss Rhye's mod (2nd post), but ended up posting mostly on OT:

The idea of colonial wars is interesting, but I believe the game already simulates events such as the 7 Years War - civilizations attack the least protected enemy cities. And even that war, which was colonial between France and Britain, started and was fought over mainly in Europe.

What about proxy wars? In the XX century it became nearly impossible for a nation to hold territory against a native population that recieved support from some other power - and this without open war between the competing powers. Rebelions and partisan activity simply made wars of conquest economically irrational.
Civ2 had partisan units popping up arround conquered cities late in the game. Would it be possible to allow a civ to "offer" units to an occupied/destroyed civilization, to simulate a proxy war? Ou rather, to turn some of its units "barbarian" and release them to plunder around cities recently conquered by another civ?

Dommie: I don't know why, but I've always liked him. Even though politically speaking he was a bit weird, he was always nice and polite (which is more than I can say about some people, including myself). I always attribute CivRev Lincoln with him. Speaking of Lincoln, have you ever noticed what a weird word that is? Lincoln? I never noticed until just now spelling it out and I was like 'that can not be how it's spelled' but it is how it's spelled.

I used to think a lot higher of Lincoln than I do now.;)

He was still a great leader, but a flawed one.

As for my politics, yeah, I don't really fit in anywhere. I think I have moved slightly left, but most of the changes were on Social and Foreign policy stuff.

CFC: Making a liberal out of Dommy since April 2010.

No.

WTF is a "libertarian imperialist"? I have no clue what this might mean. To me, it is a contradiction in terms.

Libertarianism, by axiom, is both compassionate and pragmatic. Good move. :goodjob:

Libertarianism actually doesn't need compassion or pragmaticism, though both are compatable with Libertarianism. There are many people who would fit within the "Screw you, got mine!" Category, and I don't really like that, but Libertarianism is a group including a certain subset of political philosophies, you could be a theocrat in your personal life and yet still be Libertarian (I'm very conservative personally but Libertarian politically).

As for pragmatism, not necessarily. Was Rand pragmatic? Are anarchists pragmatic?

As for "Libertarian Imperialist" Kinda depends how you define each term. Is freeing an oppressed people "Imperialist?"

Haha, I just perused my earliest OT posts. God I was terrible. OT wasn't too bad:

Well those plans of mine are in the crapper! :lol:

Surprisingly the first person to respond to my first ever OT post was...Dachs, if only I knew then how much shame and embarrassment his responses to my subsequent posts would bring me...

I also went ahead and looked up my WH posts. Here's my very first lolpwn!

God I was stupid. Masada beat me into the ground over it, I think it was the primary reason why I didn't post in WH for 6 months. Then I posted:

Shaaaaaame. The lolpwning I got from Masada for this probably was the single most depressing experience I've ever had on the boards. As I recall I almost quit over it, and probably would have if it wasn't for #nes...

Oh well, I like to think I'm much more informed now. :)

That second post wasn't too bad:goodjob:

My early posts on OT are far too embarrassing to dig up. I consider my previously held philosophy (you know) to be the biggest moral and intellectual failure of my life, and man does it show.

Were you still a Chrisitan back when you first joined?

And, how do those posts compare with my early posts? Better, worse, or similar?

I take it OT was once ruled by conservatives?

In the mists of the far-distant past

Here is what I remember about some specific posters.

Yared: Back when I was a lurker, he was always the one who made the biggest impression on me, and I couldn't think of anything better than to be his friend, so naturally the first post I made on the OT was something really obscene directed at him in this one thread which made him respond to me and made me super happy. I hope he doesn't remember what I said, because that would be embarrassing :x. I didn't get infracted for that post, but I think I contributed to the thread's locking. Opps.

Tanicus Fox: I don't know if I spelled his name right, but he seemed like a nice guy, so he became my first friend when I wrote on his wall and had a conversation with him. :love: That made me super happy because he was a regular and I was a nobody, so yeah, my first friend.

Ekolite and Arakhor: I used to be tight with both of them, Arakhor because of his wisdom and sarcasm that was funny and Ekolite because he was like me :eek: except he was older and blonde and English, but still, like me! Amazing, right? Ekolite doesn't come on anymore, and Arakhor is still around but I haven't seen him post regularly in a while, but still, awesome people. :)

Dachs: I remember I was still new when I saw in the rave thread/coming and going thread that 'OMG DACHS IS BACK!' and 'yay dachs has returned' and a lot of really cool comments about him that I was thinking 'wow, this guy must be like an OT god' and sure enough whenever I read his posts they were all really wise and insightful, and I thought he was the most amazing guy on here. Then one day he posted in the music thread that he was listening to Michelle Branch, and I gave him a thumbs up because that is a really good song whichever one it was and Dachs told me something about how Michelle Branch is an obsession of his and for some reason after that Dachs has always been really nice to me even though I don't deserve it. He's an awesome guy.

ZeletDude: The first time I came across this kid (who's a year older than me) was in the Europe's Burning IOT game. I was Trøndelag (Norway!) and he was Sweden, I remember claiming a couple areas in Jutland and he was like 'um, I said I wanted Denmark, incase you didn't notice, so I'm going to take Southern Norway unless you give your Danish provinces to me' and I was like 'punk, you can't tell me what to do, you take Southern Norway, be my guest, but I'll take the rest of Sweden and there ain't nothing you can do about it neither' and Zelet, being the nice guy that he is, decided to have a comprimise with me where I take Denmark (Norway-Denmark, get it? lol) and he could take the low countries, which showed how awesome he was since some guy joined the game as the Netherlands a little bit later and he didn't even get to have any of the low countries and he didn't demand some of Denmark from me. He's one of my main buds on OT.

West Indian Man: This guy posted some really Brazilian things, so naturally I assumed he lived there, and when he posted a picture of himself on the members photos thread he looked like he was in his 20s, so I attributed his teenage-esque posts to the fact that he probably couldn't speak English very well. Well, he lives in England and he's my age about, so that's why his posts were teenagerish, not because he couldn't speak English well and he's a young adult. I'm a fool :p. Anyways, he's one of my best buds too.

Owen Glyndwr: My first impression with him was avatar-related. I posted something on his wall, and I think I freaked him out a little but after that he was really nice to me and helped him with NESes and all that which was really nice of him. Also, the first time I saw him post in the members photo thread with his sister and I thought he was kinda hot LOL.

Dommie: I don't know why, but I've always liked him. Even though politically speaking he was a bit weird, he was always nice and polite (which is more than I can say about some people, including myself). I always attribute CivRev Lincoln with him. Speaking of Lincoln, have you ever noticed what a weird word that is? Lincoln? I never noticed until just now spelling it out and I was like 'that can not be how it's spelled' but it is how it's spelled.

Cynovolans: He's a new guy, but he's JUST LIKE ME. He's about my age, he lives in my state, he likes the same music as me (which is amazing since no one else here does pretty much). Isn't that weird? It is. Also, I'd never say it to his face but Ke$ha > Kelis. hahahahahahahaha :evil:

Love you all. <3

This too :p

Haha I just read this, thats great :D

Anyway my first post ever. (not too bad)

And my first OT post ever..
Oh how great...

Ah, this is interesting. My first post in OT wasn't even my post. It was my ex-girlfriend so it's something else I can blame her for. I have to admit her California secession comments are pretty classic but I'm not sure I could improve on my last sentence. :)
This is not the opinion of Whomp, but rather is CA native girlfriend who read the posts above. I say....It is true that California does not need the other parts of the United States to stay afloat economically. Thus, northern CA with its open mindness and innovative ways (first to ban smoking) need not bring itself down by people who would like to see the bill of rights take a back seat to religion (and whom have forgotten about the fundamental principle of separation of church and state). California should become a beacon of light for all those frustrated by the red nations overall collective thinking which can be so easily manipulated by playing the fear card. Let CA be free I say, and let those people who want a different America - either economically or morally - see how they do without the Great State of California. From the Lawrence Laboratory to Silicon Valley to what the heck lets include southern CA and the entertainment sector - you would be hurting without my great state. Can you say that about Illinois, Iowa, or New Jersey? I think not! Oh yeah, don't forget about the San Joaquin Valley -what would you people eat? I vote for joining on with Canada if they will have us..

From Whomp-I love my girlfriend very much. She is a highly educated Cal and worse Columbia grad. She is similar to most with her type of views....out of touch with all reality. Even worse she's a cubs fan!
Funny thing is she lives in San Diego right now and wants to move back to Chicago. :lol:

First post:
Spoiler :
Up until 1.21, I mainly screwed around on Chieftain and Warlord. For my first game with 1.21, I literally rolled the dice to select World Size (Huge) and Level of Difficulty (Emperor). Everthing else is random. I am playing with the default rules except I have toggled off culturally linked civs and restarting of civs.

Most of the world is four techs deep into the industrial age (Nationalism, Communism, Medicine, and Sanitation) & five civs have been eliminated in AI v. AI wars. I am the Iroquois and started with much jungle terrain (although I did have some decent terrain as around the jungle). I have been ranked in the top three civs for as long as I have had contact with a significant number of civs and at one point had the lead.

I did not have much luck with my Mounted Warriors. What has worked for me is having 4 luxury resources. My city improvement preference has been gold (marketplaces/banks), then happines, then science. This is the opposite build order that I used at the lower levels. With the exception of some misguided research at the beginning of the Middle Ages, I have bought and traded for techs. I have 1 tradeable source of furs and multiple tradeable sources of two other luxuries. I have also had, through trade, all 8 luxury resources. I am in democracy and am having WLTK days everwhere.

I generally wait until the AI collectively has two techs that I don't. I invariably find at least one civ that has one but not the other. I purchase the tech that this civ does not have and then trade (often straight-up) with the civ that is one tech behind. If necessary, however, I can afford to purchase 2 to 5 techs outright.

I have about 10,000 gold and may start doing some of my own research once somebody discovers Steam Power and multiple paths become open. The AI's are constantly warring with one another and the tech rate has slowed down since we entered the industrial age.

Since I switched to Democracy, I have resolved not to war until I have a very good reason and opportunity to do so. I have paid tribute and proactively traded with civs to avoid war. The leaders(and my neighbors), the Aztecs, outright attacked me and took a couple of cities before my turn. I resolved myself to a twenty turn war (bought some allies and also declared war on Elizabeth who had some cities on my east coast). War wariness only started to show on turns 19 and 20. The Brits were eliminated (I got two cities), I got one of my cities back from the Aztecs (the other was razed), and it took less than 100 gold to get out of the war after turn 20. I have stayed out of war since, but I expect more to come. Hopefully, I can catch the Aztecs without a strategic resource and knock Montezuma down to size.

The Aztecs have a huge lead. I am in third and closing in on the Egyptians. I got Leonardo's and just missed Adam Smith's. I have lucked my way into a strategy that has allowed me to remain competitive and given me the false hope that I might be able to achieve a Spaceship victory. A lot may depend on Strategic Resources. So my opinion is that Emperor is beatable, even on a huge map with lots of civs. I really don't think I will win my current game, but I have thrived long enough to not feel completely hopeless.

Reaction:
Jolly Roger has the right idea.

First post in the OT:
All the Democrats have to do is sit back and wait for 2004. The Republicans will overreach with their newfound power and all any Democratic presidential candidate will have to say is "Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?" Won't be a Clinton - but it really won't matter either way
:lol:

I take it OT was once ruled by conservatives?
Well, sort of. Mostly I was a commondreams.org kind of liberal back then so everyone seemed right wing to me. But yeah the place was much more conservative but not in the way people are conservative here today.

Ah, this is interesting. My first post in OT wasn't even my post. It was my ex-girlfriend so it's something else I can blame her for. I have to admit her California secession comments are pretty classic but I'm not sure I could improve on my last sentence. :)

Funny thing is she lives in San Diego right now and wants to move back to Chicago. :lol:
:lol: How did you ever let her get away with posting that with Illinois as one of her example states?

:lol: How did you ever let her get away with posting that with Illinois as one of her example states?
Right? Did I say in my post that she was a cubs fan so is completely detached from reality? I think so. So, my boy, she's your problem now. :p
Zach said:
Isn't that against the rules? Someone else using your account, I mean.
Hmm...good point. Can I say I was sitting next to her when she wrote it? How about statute of OT limitations? Kinder, gentler OT back then? Anything?

Top Bottom