If it´s not a Release Candidate then perhaps beta or alpha testing Yields?
At the moment there is no new release of any kind. No official, no beta and no alpha.
So please do not create any new threads that may sound like that.

The only thing that happens is players hijacking internal branches.
Grabbing an internal branch is ok to take a sneak peak but does not help us modders.

Players discussing internal branches in public forum may end up being quite counter-productive.
Because once too many players start hijacking internal branches with unfinished implementations we will have a mess.

In other words:
Let us please not create the impression that "hijacking unfinished internal branches" has now replaced a "proper release process" - because those branches are simply not finished.
Getting an internal branch is fine to take a sneak peak or as a modder to grab some code or graphics, but it should not become the new means of disbributing the mod to players.

Last edited:
I feel the mod is balanced around the larger radius.
It is. :)

1-Plot-Radius will simply not exhaust features like Health, Happiness, ...
Thus 2-Plot-Radius will feel more like "This is the way it was built for".

The new branches add even more features that only truly feel "fitted", when the player plays with 2-Plot-Radius and on Gigantic Maps.
With 1-Plot-Radius and on Small Maps it will feel like you will miss out a lot of additional content because it will not really impact gameplay that much.

Both gamestyles are however possible. :dunno:

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't realize the malus you get every time you ask the king for troops, so I racked up a lot of negative relation with him. I have using the archbishop to claw back some of the relationship. You live and you learn I guess!
Also, I don't know if this is specifically true for the current implementation or not, but asking for troops from the King raises the REF by a proportionate amount, as well, so you end up fighting as many troops as you get from the King. Not a very good idea if it is not early to mid game where you are rushing the Europeans.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with pirates? It seems like they can spawn up to 4 Pirate Frigates by 1600, meanwhile I am lucky if i can afford more than one Corvette. And this Corvette can only do a 30% victory against a pirate ship, so if he fails he's dead...
I usually get a bunch of Galleons and West Indiamen and largely ignore them until later.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with pirates? It seems like they can spawn up to 4 Pirate Frigates by 1600, meanwhile I am lucky if i can afford more than one Corvette. And this Corvette can only do a 30% victory against a pirate ship, so if he fails he's dead...

I plan for pirates right from turn one, I try for an early frigate and accept that I will lose it for 10 turns.

How is City happiness atually calculated?
I thought it would decline equally after adding more colonists into colony.
In this test game it even increases after adding the sixth colonist, and drops again after (with a steep fall from 7 to 4 after the 17th).

I thought it would decline equally after adding more colonists into colony.
Do not expect my algorithms to be linear. :mischief:
(They almost never are. I like to challenge players a bit to figure out how it works.)

In this test game it even increases after adding the sixth colonist
This may be because you have hit a threshold that triggered an additional happiness bonus.

-------

Actually my algorithms are usually so complicated and consider so many variables that even I cannot fully predict them.
(Directly after coding the algorithm I usually still can, but half a year later, I would also have to study it again due to all the variables and thresholds included.)

The only thing I can tell you is "trends", like e.g.
  • Food --> Good
  • Bells --> Good
  • Open Borders --> Good
  • Overpopulation --> Bad
  • Slaves --> Bad
  • War --> Bad
-------

All my algorithms are either:
A) Non-Deterministic (Chance-based)
B) Non-Linear (Thresholds or Self-Enhancing or Self-Balancing)
C) A mixture of those

Happiness is just: B)
  • There are many variables influencing each other
  • Thresholds that trigger different gradients / behaviours
So, some effects are only triggered if you hit a certain threshold.
(Below that threshold there will not be any effect.)

---------

There are in total 14 "sub-algorithms" (each with a formula of its own) that Happiness / Unhappiness uses.
Also they may have side effects with each other. Thus potentially self enhancing or self balancing.
(As I said, do not expect my stuff to be "linear" or that easy to explain / calculate.)
Spoiler :

The Good Effects:
iTotalCityHappiness += getBaseRawYieldProduced(YIELD_HAPPINESS); // this is e.g. Buildings or Professions
iTotalCityHappiness += getHappinessFromCrosses();
iTotalCityHappiness += getHappinessFromBells();
iTotalCityHappiness += getHappinessFromHealth();
iTotalCityHappiness += getHappinessFromCulture();
iTotalCityHappiness += getHappinessFromEducation();
iTotalCityHappiness += getHappinessFromDomesticDemandsFulfilled();
iTotalCityHappiness += getHappinessFromTreaties();

The Bad Effects:
iTotalCityUnHappiness += getBaseRawYieldProduced(YIELD_UNHAPPINESS); // this is e.g. Buildings or Professions
iTotalCityUnHappiness += getUnhappinessFromPopulation();
iTotalCityUnHappiness += getUnhappinessFromSlavery();
iTotalCityUnHappiness += getUnhappinessFromWars();
iTotalCityUnHappiness += getUnhappinessFromMissingDefense();
iTotalCityUnHappiness += getUnhappinessFromTaxRate();

----

But there are also "thresholds" in these "sub-algorithms" as I tried to explain.
(Once you hit them the algorithm / curve may "jump" or change its gradient.)

Here is a simple case where the population component of "Unhappiness" is not calculated if the village is to small.
Spoiler :

Code:
// specific computation methods for factors of Unhappiness
int CvCity::getUnhappinessFromPopulation() const
{
   int iUnHapPop = 0;
   int iPopulation = getPopulation();
   int iMinPopForHappiness = GC.getMIN_POP_NEG_HAPPINESS();

// small help for AI
   if(!isHuman())
   {
       iMinPopForHappiness = iMinPopForHappiness*2;
   }

iUnHapPop = iPopulation - iMinPopForHappiness;

// to prevent negative Unhappiness in case we have less pop than min value for neg pop
   if (iUnHapPop > 0)
   {
       return iUnHapPop;
   }

return 0;
}

---

By the way:
There are also rounding issues with integers.

e.g. as Integers
  • 2/3 = 0
  • 3/3 = 1
So the adding just 1 more colonists may acually make a big difference.
(Because you overcome the rounding cliff and a 0 may become a 1.)

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the detailed answer Ray.
Gives a little hint how much work you put in this mod..:crazyeye:

Hi guys. really loving the mod!

Sadly, I do not manage to have to mod load directly without passing through vanilla.
original release is set in steam.

shortcut URL is following:
steam://rungameid/16810/Mod="WeThePeople-3.0.1"

Starts Vanilla Colonization nevertheless;

After loading the mod in game, everything seems to work... Although I am on my 3th game now; after previous 2 games exited to windows in the turn resolution phase (at about 150 turns in). Always at the same exact moment when the adversaries are playing.

Could this have to do with passing through vanilla for loading the mod?
Someone have an idea what I am missing to start the mod up directly?

thx in advance!!

I got the idea to try to load the mod directly after reading that post...
So ... I do not get what you are trying to tell me.
Can you be somewhat more specific as to what I am doing wrong?

I want to eliminate other European factions quickly by preventing their respawning and not having to wait x turns to declare war,
which file do I need to mod?

I want to eliminate other European factions quickly by preventing their respawning and not having to wait x turns to declare war,
which file do I need to mod?
..\Assets\Python\CvDiplomacy.py lines 51 and 52 are commented out for some reason. Removing the #s might get you where you want.

[UPDATE]
Also in Assets\XML\globalDefinesAlt.xml there is KI_RESPAWN_OFF_MIN_TURN that you can lower the value on

Last edited:
In the file mentioned above you can also reduce COLONIAL_FORCED_PEACE_TURNS (default is 20 turns) to allow war to be declared immediately after starting a new game. Remember that you will have to start a new game after changing any of these variables!

This probably got asked a number of time already, but I don't want to dig through 36 pages.
what are the main factors I should be looking out for to not have the REF grow too much in this version?
Liberty bells?
Number of people in my empire? Number of combat units?
Number of resources that can be used to equip military units?
Sum of strength of units in my empire? Combat units only or civilians also counted?
What about special non-colonist units?
What about transport carts?
Amount of money I have?

@mangamancer

To simplify it:
  • Military Strength (incl. Weapons on Wagon Trains).
  • Revolutionary Rate (e.g. Liberty Bells).
  • Kings Attitude (keep him happy).
  • Taxes (i.e. giving the King money)
  • Population (because they are Units that could be manned as troops)
  • Mapsize (as a factor - because bigger Maps make it harder for the King)
The settings for the algorithm are in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml and can be adjusted to your personal taste.
Just search "NBMOD_REF_" and you should find all settings of the algorithm. :thumbsup:

It is a "weighted algorithm" that has different factors / settings for a lot of stuff.
(It is one of the most complex algorithms in the game actually - it was written in TAC already by NetBandit.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom