WW2 Global Gold

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Civinator, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jomorisin

jomorisin Chieftain

great - thank you.

2. Crispin

Crispin Chieftain

Even with games such as Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 coming out, I have spent most of my free time playing this wonderful scenario!

It's almost 1941 and Japan is advancing rapidly. I'm thinking I should increase the difficulty next time, it's been quite easy to be fair so far. But there is still plenty to do, and I've not really engaged the British that much.

After slowly advancing a bit mindlessly outside of my Island only involving small American fleets, the US attacked Kwajalein with a huge fleet, consisting of several carriers. Luckily they had no transport\armies so my city was relatively safe. I rushed to defend and won comfortably. Seeing as my whole fleet except a few heavy cruisers engaged. I went to take Guam, easy after heavy bombardment. Honolulu to my big surprise was undefended?!

My surprise and confidence rose so I sent the rest of the transport with 4 units(1marine,2infanty,1tank) together with my main fleet towards the US for a cheeky attack. I really did not except much but I was so far out in the sea I might as well visit the US coast and check it out.

I bombarded San Diego with several ships and planes, before my marine made short work of their units. Holy hell I'm invading USA! I came up with a good plan, bombarding the roads leading into San Diego, giving me time to severely weaken the American units trying to recapture San Diego. A few turns in, and it is working. But I forgot about reinforcements as I didn't really believe I would do any damage, and they just began their long journey. Hopefully I can hold out until then.

I focused on infrastructure in the beginning, and now my cities and economy is absurd. Even my Chinese cities are starting to produce a lot. Communist China is gone, China will soon follow. I also captured a few dutch colonies, but it's getting a bit annoying to capture these island. Thailand stood in my way of advancing into India, so I made quick work of them with my experienced army that fought in China. A few weeks halt in Mandalay until I can reinforce my infantry army with some tanks and artillery. This will be a lot harder than China, the British units seems to be much stronger.

With my economy this good, I am getting overconfident and thinking of attacking Russian sometime late in 1941. Manchuria is already producing an army to strike Vladivostok. But seeing how big the border is, I must not forget to reinforce my Chinese cities near the border properly.

One question, does Germany attack Soviet at one point? Does that usually happen? If so I'm maybe better of waiting until that happens.

Yamato IS A BEAUTY!

3. HHSpeedy

HHSpeedy Chieftain

I have enjoyed Rocotec's scenario for years and love your improvements! (I wish my scenario had your quality graphics.) Would you be okay if I made a MP version of your scenario to share with friends?

Thank you. I understand the kind of time invested in a project like this and I appreciate your work.

4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

HHSpeedy, thank you very much for your kind words. :) and welcome at CFC.:band:

Considering a MP version of this scenario, this should be no problem when you do it for your private use. Before posting such a project in the public, you should try to ask Rocoteh for his permission (as it is his scenario) as I did before posting WW2 Global Gold:

http://www.stormoverciv.net/forums/showpost.php?p=26098&postcount=399
    http://www.stormoverciv.net/forums/showpost.php?p=26138&postcount=400

5. Altt

Altt Chieftain

Dear Civinator,

I have recently started playing your excellent scenario and it is amazing. However, I have couple of problems: 1. I cant enter my cities on continental asia when i play japan - it shows error and immediately force exits from the game. 2. weeks are not shown, only the year is visible on the timeline i.e. it shows 1939 AD instead of week ... 1939 AD. I wonder how I can get a version with no errors? Thanks!

6. Civinator

Hi Altt, welcome at CFC :band:[party] and thank you very much for your interest in WW2 Global Gold. This is the original scenario created by Rocoteh and Meateater. I only did a graphical update.

Altt, it seems you haven´t installed all needed files properly. I controlled the upload files and they still are working properly, especially the counter for turns in the WW2 Global Gold-biq is still counting in weeks.

Most of the graphics are connected to the SOE files that therefore are needed additionally to play WW2 Global Gold properly. All SOE files must be installed in a subfolder in the conquests-folder and the WW2 Global Gold-biq (the second zip-file in post one of the download-page) must also be installed in the conquest-folder. The WW2 Global Gold-files must be installed in an other subfolder in the conquests-folder .

There is an instruction about the proper installation combined with images on page 1 of this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=454734.

7. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

i am very much liking this scenario!! Thank you for creating it Rocoteh and Meateater. And thank you Civinator for updating it!

i have all the files installed and am playing with no troubles, except that luxury icons are not what they show. For example, i'll see a gold on the map, but that is not necessarily what i get. An ally wants to trade me wine, but also wants my wine. Any ideas on why this occurs?

8. Civinator

Hi White Elk, thank you very much for your kind words and your interest in WW2 Global Gold. :)

When you have all files installed properly, the resource file for WW2 Global Gold should be in the folder Art of that scenario. In his version 2.6 of WW2 Global, Rocoteh set the luxury resources tobacco, wines, tropical fuit and coffee doubled -so you have two different resources with that name. You can check this easily when clicking in the resource information of WW2 Global Gold. I didn´t change these original settings, so of course it can be discussed, if these doubled resources are necessairy.

If one civ trades a wine resource and demands another wine resource in WW2 Global Gold at present this is possible, as there are two different luxury resources for wines.
    It is like a civ is trading a Bordeaux wine and demands a Brunello. :D

9. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

Thank you Civinator for the assistance. Far as i know, i have all the files since the game has been running fine well into 1942. It may just be the doubled resources which gave me confusion. Yet i had thought that in early game, i received some resources i wasn't expecting, and didn't get some i had thought i would. Am about to resume a game, will look into it deeper. - i was just so impressed with the mod, i had came here to offer my appreciation, then from there decided to ask about the resources ;)

Hehe i like the idea of trading varieties of wine and tobac etc - so long as the steep price one must pay, does indeed result in increased happy'ness, which it seems to :)

10. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

The game now freezes after the Germans eliminate Switzerland. i see no leaderhead for the Swiss in the Diplo screen, nor do they show on the espionage screen. i poked around in the files but am lost.

Beyond the missing Swiss and the luxury icons not displaying true to their nature, i have had no other troubles playing halfway through the year 1942 - i've got past those missing files the update fixed. Any ideas? Or should i save the save then delete the mod and try a fresh install?

EDIT: i've reinstalled the mods and was able to play on after Switzerland was eliminated. i still didn't see them in the diplo or espionage screens. And the luxury resources still don't show in the city screens proper - for instance i see Gold on the map and in the Trade Adviser, but the icon for Gold within the city view shows as something else.) Not a big problem but it does impact planning. But no matter 'cuz this mod is so much fun!! :)

11. Civinator

White Elk, here I temporary attache a RAR-file with the WW2 Global Gold resources. These resources must be placed in the Ww2 Global Gold \Art Folder. When I made a test, not only all resources can be seen properly on the map, but also in the City view (if the cities are connected by a road with these resources). I delete the attached resource-file soon, as I have nearly reached my upload-limit at CFC.

The Swiss Guisan-leaderhead also shows up properly in the diplomacy screen in my tests. These files of WW2 Global Gold are directly linked to the SOE files, so you should have a look, if the Guisan_All - file is in your SOE Advisors-folder (these are the round images of the diplomatic screen). In the SOE-files there is also a folder Advisors-flags, where the round diplo-images are replaced by flag-symbols. If you rename the SOE-Folder "Advisors" to Advisorsheads (or something like that) and the folder "Advisors-flags" to Advisors, you should have the flag-images instead of the leaderheads in the diplo-screen.

12. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

Downloaded, thank you!

My thought that missing Swiss files may have caused the hang was incorrect. i was able to play on. And this morning discovered that there were other civs missing. It turns out i just hadn't had contact with them yet - i had incorrectly assumed that for this scenario, all civs would have turn one contact with all other civs, that is not the case with the U.S. player at least.

i want to say again - this mod is great fun! Thanks for adding even more interest to it!

13. Rapperport

Rapperport Chieftain

I wonder if anyone can help me with this error message?

Missing entry in "Scenarios WW2-Global Reloaded/text/Pedialcons.txt":
    ANIMNAME_PRTO_UShalftrack

Much appreciated for any assistance.

ps. Great Scenario!

14. clamel

clamel Prince

I do believe that WW2-Global Reloaded is another scenario than this.
    However it looks like it´s surely missing in the pedia text file.

I guess just editing that Pedialcons.txt file by adding a couple of lines like this will work.

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_UShalftrack
    USHalftrack

add the lines somewhere (perhaps at the last) where you find similar lines.

Just be careful to edit the correct Pedialcons.txt file.
    It´s in that WW2-Global Reloaded folder and sub-folder /Text.

It´s the unit called US Mechanized in the game and editor that has been called PRTO-USHalftrack.
    Try it out.

I could be totally wrong with this popular name. I think 3 scenarios is listed as something like WW2 Global xxxx.

15. Rapperport

Rapperport Chieftain

Thanks, Clamel. I've tried doing that, but it won;t let me save the file after the change. :confused:

16. clamel

clamel Prince

Hmm the Pedialcons.txt doesn´t save. Strange indeed. It´s a normal txt-file and just open it in notepad++ or any editor for txt-files.
    I just did it without problems. Do check the attribute on the file. Perhaps you have to see if it is not protected.

17. Rapperport

Rapperport Chieftain

Managed to do it and all fixed. Thankyou very much, clamel. You're a star! :D

18. Civinator

Clamel, you are not totally wrong, but there are 4 such scenarios! :)

The original WW2 Global is the wonderful scenario done by Rocoteh.
    At CFC it can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=107698
    This is the great original scenario. All other forms of WW2 Global xxx are using the great work Rocoteh did with that scenario. :hatsoff::clap:

Than came WW2-Global Equuleus's Fall Gelb Mod operating with an improved system of wartriggers. It can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=223309

The next one was Moff Jerjerrod's WW2 Global - Reloaded. It was a try to develop Rocoteh´s scenario, but unfortunately Moff left modding Civ 3 "from one day to the other" and deleted all his work. This is the scenario Rapperport is looking for. The rests of that scenarioposts can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=365068

The last one is WW2 Global Gold. It is a graphical update of Rocoteh´s Scenario, leaving Rocoteh´s original scenario in gameplay as it is. The name of that scenario was suggested by Rocoteh. At present you are in the thread of WW2 Global Gold.

19. pvincent100

pvincent100 Chieftain

Hi, the link on page 1 for the files seems to be dead?

20. Civinator

Yes, the link (and the screenshots) became dead with the closing of the SOC-site that hosted this scenario (and many other Civ 3 scenarios and mods, too). Some of these mods, like WW2 Global Gold and SOE will be made public again in a reworked and updated version. I will do an announcement, when that scenario becomes available again (but this will last some time).