WW2-Global

Very interesting. I've been playing without any problems both the 2.6 version and the graphical update provided by Tom1050. Remember though that you not only have to eliminate that extra space in the wav file name but look for it in the pedia entry as well under the #ANIMNAME section. Like I said I did not experience this problem at all though.

Are you guys using Vista by any chance? If so there could be a bug with the file type being perceived by Vista as a compatibility file. Copy the infantrydeath.wav to another location entirely and delete it from it's original location. Then copy back to where it belongs and try again.

Very interesting. I've been playing without any problems both the 2.6 version and the graphical update provided by Tom1050. Remember though that you not only have to eliminate that extra space in the wav file name but look for it in the pedia entry as well under the #ANIMNAME section. Like I said I did not experience this problem at all though.

Are you guys using Vista by any chance? If so there could be a bug with the file type being perceived by Vista as a compatibility file. Copy the infantrydeath.wav to another location entirely and delete it from it's original location. Then copy back to where it belongs and try again.

Well I solved it since I found another member screaming about it.
It seams that different version have been on sale with a file with the BLANK space before the .wav file. So I followed their solution which was my own too until it got better solved.
Copy the infantrydeath.wav to a similar infantrydeath .wav and bingo the game works.
Moff just look in you infantry folder from the basic game and you will probably see you got one or both of these files.

I´m cool now since it works for me.

Thanks for the trouble and my cobwebb on the brain for being absent for perhaps a year.

Some time ago I said that it was OK that tom2050 uploaded
his personal graphic update of WW-Global at SOE.

He also started a thread at CFC on the update.
Furthermore there have been a lot of posts in my own WW2-Global thread on this subject.

As a result of this I now get PM:s and E-mails from people that
think that I have handed over the WW2-Global scenario to tom2050.
Someone also asked me for my "last reflections" on the scenario!

OK here is the real situation:

I have not handed over WW2-Global to tom2050 or anyone else
and I do not plan to do so in the future.

I still regard WW2-Global as a living project and I plan to launch
a 2.7 version in the fall this year

Rocoteh

Anything on this. The Fall has come and gone, at least 2009 ;-)

Let me ask one thing about A-Bomb.
Why do you have a transport to carry the A-Bomb. As far as I understand the A-Bomb can be launched by itself and it shows a nice picture of a B-29 (I think) flying over and dropping the thing.
It works just like the standard Tactical Nuke.

Have I got anything wrong on this ???

At 430 pages I won't read everything, so can anyone tell me if the pedia update added by Tom is the one to use or Bob1475 or do you put on Bob1475 and then Tom's?

One of the things that is common on all the massive scenario's is they have many pieces and it is a bit confussing. I suppose in the end it won't break the game either way.

I believe Bob1475 info was a link to important information about WW2-Global itself... I'm not sure if he wrote a pedia or not; and I don't think another pedia update was written by anyone else either.

So the pedia update I wrote should be all you need, just follow instructions on the download and you will be set... I tried to go through every aspect of WW2-Global, so there is not much that was missed. In order to see it all, a new game may need to be started; IIRC, a biq is also included that simply has the updates to the PediaIcon names, so that the Civilopedia displays correctly, but that biq is identical in all other regards.

Tom

It was Soulosi that wrote one. I went with putting yours on last, so that should do it.

Is it possible to build railroads in this latest (2.6) version? The game is probably more realistic without them, but I can't seem to find the info through all the hundreds of pages. :crazyeye:

Is it possible to build railroads in this latest (2.6) version? The game is probably more realistic without them, but I can't seem to find the info through all the hundreds of pages. :crazyeye:

No railroads in v2.6. Instead there's a increased movement (6 tiles for infantry for instance).

I'm playing the Germans at the moment (v2.6 and with the graphic pack). I haven't played this in a long time. Started at a low level to get a feeling of this scenario (regent).
I guess it's working well as I conquered the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Denmark, Norway (Narvik by the Finns), Yugoslavia, Greece (Crete by the Italians), Switserland, Spain and Portugal.
I'm slowly destroying the Britain navy and preparing an assault on London, and preparing a war against the USSR. For this last crusade I've already gathered around 70 units (artillery, infantry, Panzer IIIe + IIIg).

It's a good thing you don't have railroads, so you've to plan ahead. Also the relative high cost of transports forces you to plan ahead.
Another good thing is the autoproduction of the 88-guns. Those are strong units, and could overpower the human player.

About the sciencelevel. It's good IMO as I'm 4 weeks from Air 1940 in week 5 1940.

All in all a very good and balanced scenario. Well done!

Redman

Offtopic: I don't know about CFC's general policy on reviving old threads, but I assume you don't mind?

Thanks for an awesome scenario! I've played older versions of this for a long time, and thought I'd say thanks and share my gaming experieces. I've played on various difficulties (regent and upwards) and nations and although I haven't finished a scenario (eliminated all enemies/let timer run out) I must have spent hundreds of hours in this scenario.

Germany (first attempt): My strategy was to conquer all of Europe and keep friendly terms with Soviets, and it looked like it was going well. GB and US had total sea domination though, but kept trying to enter the mediterrenean, giving me ample opportunities to bomb them from Spain. I had prepared to invade England when the Soviets decided to attack. Massive stacks of T-34s rolled in, and despite my best effort there was no way to stop them. Soviet soon took all my eastern cities before I could negotiate for peace. While I rebuilt my troops, Soviet annexed Scandinavia and then declared war with the Fins. It didn't take many turns before they conquered Berlin. Meanwhile, Japan had been doing fairly well in Asia. Soviet-Japan war was at standstill. Italy had lost all cities outside of their mainland. Quit at that point, considering myself defeated.

Japan: was harder than I had thought, but after taking a good portion of China I was able to make way through Indonesia. Germany made a short process of Poland / mainland lowlands/France, but after that neither Germany or Allies took any cities (aside from America taking Cagliari). Rather than preparing to invade Australia or India, I focused on my Russian border. When Soviet and Germany declared war, I launched an assault on Siberia. Unfortunately, my troops were slaughtered by the red army. Meanwhile, America sneaked (not viewing enemy turns) a transport to Kyoto and landed a regiment of tanks. I considered myself defeated when Soviet had taken Pyonyang and America had razed Kyoto.

Sweden: Decided to try a neutral nation and figured that Sweden should be able to take advantage of Soviet-German war. Rushed a lot of infantry (thought that the available bombers/artillery was just not good enough to make a huge difference) and conquered Norway with heavy losses. Made an effort to fortify my borders against russian invaders, but when they showed up it was with massive stacks of T-34s. My defenders and cities soon fell to the red army. 3 games in a row that Soviet defeated me :(

Argentina: Figured it was best to be far away from Soviet if I wanted to be neutral. Argentina was fun to play, and agressive strategies allowed me to dominate south america. Didn't see the point in continuing after the continent was mine (American troops far too good for me to try them). At that point, Germany dominated Europe and Japan dominated East Asia. Soviet owned Scandinavia + most of finland but had lost some cities to Germany.

Germany, second try. This time I turned the armies around after conquering France. I set up small garrisons in the newly conquered cities and attacked the Soviets. Finland got hit badly, and Italy lost cities to America, but I was able to take out the major russian cities before Soviet had grown into a monster. I signed a peace treaty when the Soviets were clear out of Europe, and gave a lot of the northern cities to Finland. After launching a massive paradrop on Britain, I conquered the british isles and considered myself victorious.

Great Britain: wasn't as fun as I had thought. I left nearly all my cities virtually defenceless and landed in the Netherlands. Germany quickly took Poland but didn't make any progress after that. They conquered Antwerp, Amsterdam and Rotterdam, but I instantly took them back and could start pushing back. I considered myself victorious after conquering Berlin. Meanwhile, I was also able to delay the Japanese a lot, establish sea dominion in the pacific and drive Italy out of Africa.

Finland (regent difficulty, so easier than before): I reloaded a few times to get a good start with conquering Sweden (they have resources I needed) and get an early war with Soviet. Since they didn't have tech to build T-34's, Germany made huge progress and I was able to take several cities from them through bombardments + superior infantry. The early war with Soviet meant that the German AI wasn't able to conquer all of mainland France. Didn't see the point in continuing after driving the Russians out of Europe - Britain already had far too superior troops to make any progress.

Italy: Reloaded a few times to get a good start by conquering Yoguslavia and Greece. Sniped a couple of French cities from the Germans. After sinking the british mediterrenean fleet, I invaded egypt. By using a huge stack of artillery, I conquered nearly all of Africa - my main problem was the US troops that landed in western Sahara, and keeping the allied fleets out of the mediterrenean. Germany actually invaded Ireland. I considered myself victorious after taking Cape Town.

All in all, a lot of fun. My primary complaints would be that US/GB/Soviet and Germany gets too powerful units for anyone else to stand a real chance, and that research is hopeless for the minor nations (40 turns per tech, a new but still inferior unit every 5:th tech...). I haven't tried the latest version though, but I probably will ;)

Offtopic: I don't know about CFC's general policy on reviving old threads, but I assume you don't mind?

Thanks for an awesome scenario! I've played older versions of this for a long time, and thought I'd say thanks and share my gaming experieces. I've played on various difficulties (regent and upwards) and nations and although I haven't finished a scenario (eliminated all enemies/let timer run out) I must have spent hundreds of hours in this scenario.

Germany (first attempt): My strategy was to conquer all of Europe and keep friendly terms with Soviets, and it looked like it was going well. GB and US had total sea domination though, but kept trying to enter the mediterrenean, giving me ample opportunities to bomb them from Spain. I had prepared to invade England when the Soviets decided to attack. Massive stacks of T-34s rolled in, and despite my best effort there was no way to stop them. Soviet soon took all my eastern cities before I could negotiate for peace. While I rebuilt my troops, Soviet annexed Scandinavia and then declared war with the Fins. It didn't take many turns before they conquered Berlin. Meanwhile, Japan had been doing fairly well in Asia. Soviet-Japan war was at standstill. Italy had lost all cities outside of their mainland. Quit at that point, considering myself defeated.

Japan: was harder than I had thought, but after taking a good portion of China I was able to make way through Indonesia. Germany made a short process of Poland / mainland lowlands/France, but after that neither Germany or Allies took any cities (aside from America taking Cagliari). Rather than preparing to invade Australia or India, I focused on my Russian border. When Soviet and Germany declared war, I launched an assault on Siberia. Unfortunately, my troops were slaughtered by the red army. Meanwhile, America sneaked (not viewing enemy turns) a transport to Kyoto and landed a regiment of tanks. I considered myself defeated when Soviet had taken Pyonyang and America had razed Kyoto.

Sweden: Decided to try a neutral nation and figured that Sweden should be able to take advantage of Soviet-German war. Rushed a lot of infantry (thought that the available bombers/artillery was just not good enough to make a huge difference) and conquered Norway with heavy losses. Made an effort to fortify my borders against russian invaders, but when they showed up it was with massive stacks of T-34s. My defenders and cities soon fell to the red army. 3 games in a row that Soviet defeated me :(

Argentina: Figured it was best to be far away from Soviet if I wanted to be neutral. Argentina was fun to play, and agressive strategies allowed me to dominate south america. Didn't see the point in continuing after the continent was mine (American troops far too good for me to try them). At that point, Germany dominated Europe and Japan dominated East Asia. Soviet owned Scandinavia + most of finland but had lost some cities to Germany.

Germany, second try. This time I turned the armies around after conquering France. I set up small garrisons in the newly conquered cities and attacked the Soviets. Finland got hit badly, and Italy lost cities to America, but I was able to take out the major russian cities before Soviet had grown into a monster. I signed a peace treaty when the Soviets were clear out of Europe, and gave a lot of the northern cities to Finland. After launching a massive paradrop on Britain, I conquered the british isles and considered myself victorious.

Great Britain: wasn't as fun as I had thought. I left nearly all my cities virtually defenceless and landed in the Netherlands. Germany quickly took Poland but didn't make any progress after that. They conquered Antwerp, Amsterdam and Rotterdam, but I instantly took them back and could start pushing back. I considered myself victorious after conquering Berlin. Meanwhile, I was also able to delay the Japanese a lot, establish sea dominion in the pacific and drive Italy out of Africa.

Finland (regent difficulty, so easier than before): I reloaded a few times to get a good start with conquering Sweden (they have resources I needed) and get an early war with Soviet. Since they didn't have tech to build T-34's, Germany made huge progress and I was able to take several cities from them through bombardments + superior infantry. The early war with Soviet meant that the German AI wasn't able to conquer all of mainland France. Didn't see the point in continuing after driving the Russians out of Europe - Britain already had far too superior troops to make any progress.

Italy: Reloaded a few times to get a good start by conquering Yoguslavia and Greece. Sniped a couple of French cities from the Germans. After sinking the british mediterrenean fleet, I invaded egypt. By using a huge stack of artillery, I conquered nearly all of Africa - my main problem was the US troops that landed in western Sahara, and keeping the allied fleets out of the mediterrenean. Germany actually invaded Ireland. I considered myself victorious after taking Cape Town.

All in all, a lot of fun. My primary complaints would be that US/GB/Soviet and Germany gets too powerful units for anyone else to stand a real chance, and that research is hopeless for the minor nations (40 turns per tech, a new but still inferior unit every 5:th tech...). I haven't tried the latest version though, but I probably will ;)

Some time have passed since I last visited this site.
Anyway, thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.

Rocoteh

On the future:

Some of you maybe think I have quitted Civ 3.
However that is not the case. In fact I have spent some 3 hours per
day the last months playtesting my mod: Another World.

In the current playtest (with Germany) there have been a long war
with Japan for control over Siberia.
When this playtest have been ended I will continue with Britain.
The mod is rather good and I could launch it now, but I will develope it further.

On WW2-Global:
I will not rule out one more version, but Another World will have priority.

Rocoteh

Where can we find information on this new scenario Rocoteh? This is the first that I have heard of it. I still play Civ 3 a lot since I never bothered to get Civ 4. :)

Top Bottom