Your 5 Favorite Games That Are Not Civilization

..and i just noticed, you probably have to buy those games from GoG now.
Abandon sites redirect to them..

Starting to share Pangea's anger about them, those are free games /yawn
Paying for something i did buy 20 years ago or so, yep ty very much.
I think what you pay for at GoG is the upgrading of the .exe's to run under Windows for the most part. Same as some of Steam's old games that they are now selling.

I actually don't mind that GOG is doing that. Since I no longer have a computer that will run most of the classics, and GOG isn't really that expensive for an update, It's actually a fair compromise to have a memory flashback.

They run fine under Dosbox, and creating links for your desktop is easy.
I don't need GoG to start old games with 2 mouse clicks, my PC is modern ;)

What you are paying for there is money grabs, they are not asking you "do you want to pay for games that stopped selling for money? We could set that up for you, if you want..".

Nopes, you now have to shop "black market" if you still want for free what has been free for a long time, cause sites for free games redirect you to GoG with Buy links.
Hmm..i buy something in the supermarket, outside there are cars waiting to deliver you home. In a GoG universe future, those cars will then demand that you pay for not having to carry your stuff home. You may no longer walk.

Can I set up DOSBox? Why, yes, I can. Do I mind paying two bucks so I don't have to? No, actually, I don't.

As to abandonware..."if you don't pay to protect it that means you are willing to give it away" never really sat well with me. I got stuff from abandonware sites because it couldn't be gotten anywhere else, not because I thought it was right to get stuff I didn't pay for.

Overall I'm pretty happy with GoG. Their commitment to no DRM digital delivery is top notch, given the way everyone else in the digital delivery business is really all about making ineffective and ever more intrusive DRM "just part of the deal if you want to play games." Valve is the number one developer and distributor of DRM in the world, and the number of Steam fans who will say "oh, it isn't DRM" and honestly believe it is absolutely astonishing.

2 bucks..?
I was looking for BI2, and that would have cost 9 Euro.
I am not rich enuf to spend 9 euro for some funny back to history trip, that probably ends afer a couple hours.

They are also not selling just BI2, you need Battle Isle "Platinum".
Cause didn't you know, we know that you want to buy everything in that package and not just what you were looking for?

And please..Blue Byte would be more than happy if they see someone playing their stone old games, they would never even think about taking money for that now.

GoG has it's good sides, i use them.
But i will not hush when i see their bad sides, and glorify them without thinking.

I bought a whole series of games that started at "stone old" for like ten bucks. So far I've played the first one...for about a week solid, and being retired I can put in a lot of hours in a week. And I have 2, 3, and 4 (which really isn't that old) that I haven't even installed yet. Last month I got Capitalism Plus and Cap 2 for under five bucks, played Cap Plus for a few days and then Cap 2 for a couple weeks pretty heavy. Probably go back to that at some point.

Overall, it's pretty much like the good old days; when I would just grab stuff on a whim off the "discount rack" and said that you just can't go wrong for five bucks. Truth be told, that's how I first found Civ...three.

And, just out of curiosity, what makes you think that Blue Byte doesn't get a cut from GoG sales of their games?

I get the impression that I must be a dinosaur. Some of my favourite games are just so old that most here won't have heard of them. Thank goodness for DosBox.

I normally use a laptop so these are the ones.

1. Igowin - Japanese game of Go. (http://igowin.en.softonic.com/)
2. Epic Pinball - the best pinball game I've ever found. Dos game
3.War for Atlantis by Soleau Software. Like the board game 'Risk'. Dos game.
4. Angband. Development of Moria which was developed from Rogue. Recently ported from Dos to Windows but I like the previous Dos version. (rephial.org)
5. GNU Backgammon (http://gnubg.org/)

On a desktop with a mouse and full keyboard (big screen, sound system etc.) then I go for:

Doom/Heretic.
Caesar III

I can't play them effectively with a touch pad.

Whilst not in my top 5, I thought it worth mentioning a game that I've started to play recently and am finding very addictive, which is Offworld Trading Company.

One of the main reasons I'm mentioning it here is that it's been designed by Civ IV's lead developer, Soren Johnson.

I'm continuously uncovering new layers of strategic depth in this game. The game is well designed in all aspects (graphics, sound, gameplay, tone) and I'm finding it quite a fascinating experience learning layer upon layer of strategic subtleties with no real end in sight yet.

Although real time (pausable), it definitely has that 'one more turn' vibe to it. I'd definitely recommend it, especially now that it has a very good series of tutorial games.

Dishonored, XCOM EW, Batman Arkham City and probably King's Bounty: The Legend, although I'm stuck on that game trying to finish it in 7 (in game) days with 0 losses :mad:

Hard to pick 5, so here are the favorites:

Master of Orion 2 (could never find a new space 4x game to come near it)
Medieval : Total War (1st one)
HOMM 3
Wing Commander Series + Privateer
EverQuest (custom server)
EtherLords 2
WarCraft 3
StarCraft 1 and 2
Warlords 3
Lords of the Realm 2 (very cumbersome interface by today standards but still love it)

1) World of Tanks (currently playing NA Server)
2) World of Warcraft (play now on free server)
3) World in Flames (Board game in the early 1990's)
4) Ultima Online (play now on Free Shard)
5) Dark Age of Camelot (Loved my Celt Hero - Snydly)

Lots of time spent online.

Quick Reply so I may miss a few games & its in no certain order

• Close Combat 2 *dont play anymore but it was a great game
  • 7.62 High Calibre
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Mount and Blade: Warband

5 is not enough because there are way more... but this is just off the top of my head.

I've started playing Panzer General II. I think I'm in love.

Never played it, but I have Panzer General III: Scorched Earth and its GREAT! I have the cd version and got it to run on Win 7 somehow.

1. Diablo 2 LOD
2. Gothic series until 3
3. Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Tourment, Icewind Dale 1&2 ( they are all Infinity engine games)
4. Fallout tactics. BOS
5. Thief series. not the last one :)

Having read through the thread (it seems to have come to an end now), I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Championship Manager. Not CM2 or 3 or 4, but the original. From the early- to mid-90's. If a list is required:

1. Championship Manager, end of season 94 edition. Works like a charm in DosBox on Windows 10.
Yes, you'll have to use a spreadsheet to keep track of things from season to season. Of course I make one for each game I play...
2. UFO: Enemy Unknown (yes, the original - it was called X-Com: Enemy Unknown in the US, I believe).
Present time I use OpenXCom to play the game. It is an amazing job done to fix the bugs and enhance gameplay via mods. Recommended.
2b. UFO: Aftermath. Same premise as UFO: EU. Aliens attack earth. Different gameplay mechanics, but a fun game to play.
3. Heroes of Might & Magic III. Probably don't need to say more. Haven't played it for a couple of years now. Need to find that old PC CD-Rom and check it out.
4. Europa Universalis IV. I'm really bad at it. But it's fun, so I play it nevertheless.
5. Minecraft. I know. It's a kid's game. But it's just so much fun. And with frequent updates, it never really gets boring.

...then I would've added PC games such as Privateer (but I don't play it too much, hence not making the list), Sid Meier's Pirates, XCom: EU/EW (the new one - good game, but worse than the original without a doubt), Ports of Call (haven't owned a copy since the early 2000's, so I have only memories by now) and Need For Speed Underground 2 (just to have a "car-game" on the list as well. The only one I've actually played a bit. They tend to get boring quite fast. Not so with NFSU2, believe it or not).

There are of course other games I like. In the 80's I remember playing Football Manager on the Amstrad computer. Also titles like Boulderdash, The Wild Bunch, Roland Ahoy, Oh Mummy, Harrier Attack...eh... I think I'll stop here. I don't have a working Amstrad-computer anymore. And I've got no emulator that works on my Win 10 PC. Good memories of the innocent days of the 80's...mmm... :cool:

Age of Empires 2, Rise of Nations, Train Simulator, Medieval II: Total War, Europa Universalis III

AOE2 is probably my all time favourite game. Though I prefer it without the new expansions (The Forgotten, African Kingdoms).

World of Warcraft
War3: TFT
Age of Wonders
Train Tycoon 3
AoE:3 (none of my old AOE2 pals plays anymore)

Top Bottom