Your Favourite Games of Last Year

Darth_Pugwash

wobble wobble
A bit late maybe, but I don't think we have a 'best of 2008' thread. WELL WE DO NOW :mwaha:

Anyway, here's my top three of 2008:

#1: Far Cry 2
I enjoy the slowish pace, the tactical freedom and the dynamic, hectic, non-scripted action/gunplay. Plus I'm a sucker for natural landscapes and FC2 has the most stunning scenery I've ever seen in a game.

#2: Left 4 Dead
Awful matchmaking system and terribly repetitive, but still fantastic fun if you get matched with good players. One of those games that's as fun to play when things go tits up as it is when things go to plan.

#3: GRID
I played this with a keyboard so I didn't get the most enjoyment from it, but it was still fun and very well polished (which I like alot in a game). The rewind feature is genius, and makes you wonder how you ever played racing games without it.

Biggest disappointment: Fallout 3
I liked Oblivion, but just couldn't get into this. The beginning was ultra-dull, the world drab/unengaging, and the combat just pitifully bad.

Was TF2 2008?

If not, Rock Band and FIFA 09 were personal highlights.

(For the record, Rock Band wasn't released in Aus until November last year, stupid EA)

Haven't tried Far Cry 2 yet, waiting for it to be cheaper as I've read mixed things about it. Left 4 Dead is a good to great game if you can find intelligent people to play with. So yeah, I've played a bunch of new games, but I can't say any of them gripped me much. I did love Fallout 3, its mood managed to work for me for about 60-70 hours, plus I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff. Game I played most was probably Civ IV, or Europa Universalis III, or Team Fortress 2, none of which is 2008...

Biggest disappointment was obviously Spore.

TF2 was released in 2007, but they do keep updating it so it still counts :p

TF2, Left 4 Dead, Europa Universailles Complete, The Witcher Enhanced, STALKER Clear Sky, Mount&Blade. Those were the ones released last year, there are more that I didn't buy until last year (or Jan 1st/2nd 2009).

Saints Row 2, Little Big Planet
Umm, yeah, I think that's it. Everythin else I bought last year was either crap (The Force Unleashed :mad: ) or "okay, but pales in comparison with other games" (GTA IV).

If you include mods, I'd say some older games make it in too....e.g. Oblivion, et all.

Of 2008, the only games I really bought new were Spore, Colonization 2, Galatic Civilizations 2: ToA, and L4D.

I'd probably rank them as L4D > Gal Civ2:ToA > Spore > Colonization 2

If I work in a patched TF2 and modded Mount & Blade, then I say TF2 > L4D > GalCiv2:ToA > Spore > Mount and Blade > Colonization 2

What I actually played the most, in weeks was probably Civ4 BTS and GalCiv2: ToA, followed by Spore followed by TF2. Hard to really compare without having all the games at the start of the year.

Going only by games released last year, they are Fallout 3, Left4Dead and Spore

I
If I work in a patched TF2 and modded Mount & Blade, then I say TF2 > L4D > GalCiv2:ToA > Spore > Mount and Blade > Colonization 2

Mount&Blade was released last year, and I challenge you to a duel to the death for putting Spore ahead of M&B.

Also your house is on fire.

Gears of War 2

EU3, HoI2, and Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 is best played as an exploration game; I agree the main quest is both lame, and far too short.

Spoiler :

IMO the best way to play it is to play the main quest up to the point
the Enclave shows up (which gives you access to power armor,
power armor training, and plasma rifles), then go off exploring.

Only bought Super Smash Bros. Brawl. That said, I have a friend who loves Fallout 3 (It's his favorite game). I told him that it won Game of the Year award at IGN and GameSpy.

Oh, nobody's spoken about Metal Gear Solid 4 yet?

Left 4 Dead if my favourite game released in 2008. Otherwise it would by TF2 since I got it in 2008, but I'm counting it as a 2007 game. :p

Left 4 Dead if my favourite game released in 2008. Otherwise it would by TF2 since I got it in 2008, but I'm counting it as a 2007 game. :p

So far I've heard great things about Left 4 Dead. Namely the co-op. It sounds fun.

Top Bottom