1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube Music

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Rambuchan, Nov 8, 2006.

1. C~G

C~G Untouchable

Great idea for thread again from Ram.

Some not so rare stuff but I consider these being one of my favourites of all time and the younger generation should get to know all these "classic songs".

The Stranglers - Golden Brown

The Jam - Town Called Malice

And Oldie but Goodie, originally was introduced to this song by the Shadows cover version which ain't bad either.

Mason Williams - Classical Gas

2. Che Guava

Che Guava The Juicy Revolutionary

3. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Super Moderator

Am I the only person who thinks that the Stranglers' classic track is a hymn of praise to the chancellor of the exchequer?

Almost certainly.

4. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

ironduck: Took another, closer look at your links, which are excellent!

Billie Holiday is just effortless and nonchalant with her talents. I've seen much footage of her before and her sad life always comes through. Who is the guy on the baritone sax? That solo was very good.

The young John Lee Hooker's 'Boom Boom' was great fun and damn that crowd was loving it! I especially liked the chef coming out and working the dancefloor with his hat still on. :D

Chuck's 'Sweet Li'l Sixteen' was good to hear again. I was once again reminded of what a total rip off The Beach Boys' 'Surfin' USA' was. :scan:

Plotinus: What's so great about these clips is that (a) you get to see what these guys look like. I had no idea Howlin' Wolf looked like that. And what a funny blues man he is. And (b) you can see the crowds that were loving them at the time. Most insightful cultural and anthropological lessons to be learnt. Great clips mate. Thanks a lot. :goodjob:

5. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

Radio - Elvis Costello and the Attractions
    The nerd rocker's famous rebellion on Saturday Night Live, in which he defies his record company and sings Radio, a song that's critical of the music industry. From what I understand, he wasn't permitted to make another appearance for a while. It's a good song, even if he doesn't do it all that well in this performance (though the audio-video sync is a bit off, unfortunately).

Layla - Clapton, Beck, Page
    What must have been a truly awesome concert. Any faster on this one and I think something would have caught on fire. Also, watch for the tambourine/gong player periodically going nuts.

Yer Blues-- John Lennon and others
    A very spaced out Lennon in front of Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, and Mitch Mitchell, presented by Mick Jagger. Memorable for Clapton's good guitar solo and Lennon's exceedingly bad one (but hey, at least he seemed to enjoy it!). Characteristically, Lennon also seems to forget where the microphone is.

6. ironduck

ironduck Deity

Ram, that's Gerry Mulligan - that session was truly an all-star lineup. Note the point in the video where Lester Young (Prez) solos and Billie looks at him, that's just wow.. if you like Billie's later years take a listen to the Lady in Satin album.

For the blues lovers out there I present Muddy Waters and Sonny Boy Williamson together!

7. Taliesin

8. Rambuchan

Thanks for the info there ironduck. :)

Great performance there and nice to see (what'shisface?) on the bass stepping forward for a change. That tune is an absolute corker and I often play the Ella Fitzgerald version in my funk sets at parties and clubs. In fact, there are many covers of that song. I've got a couple of reggae versions, another soul version and an outright funkyass ants in your pants version. What a song!!

Questions: Who wrote it originally? And on what disc can I get a hold of Hendrix's version (not live though, cos I want to play it in a set sometime and live songs don't always suit)?

---------

Here is one of my all time favourite Hendrix performances:

:eek: :eek: Jimi Hendrix plays "Wild Thing" (at the Monterey Festival) :eek: :eek:

Edit: Stick around for the full 7mins of that clip to see the feedback frenzy, him setting fire to his guitar, before smashing it and throwing the neck out into the audience. (Can't do that kind of thing these days. One must think of Health & Safety don't you know!)

9. Taliesin

According to Wikipedia, it was written by Clapton and Bruce, in collaboration with a poet named Pete Brown.

The only recording I could find of Hendrix's version is on The Last Experience Concert: Live at the Royal Albert Hall, a live album released in 1990.

10. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

The original Cream version of "Sunshine" is on Disraeli Gears. Hendrix speeds it up a little.
    And doesn't bother with the words.

11. Rambuchan

12. soul_warrior

soul_warrior Termite!

my mother saw him live when he was here in israel, back in 74?76?
    i heard about that show 20 years afterwards.!!!!
    supposedly he came on and did a full 3.5 hour show, and after that he came back for a 2 hour encore!
    and he kept dancing-singing-joking-drinking all the way through...
    i wish i was old enough to see that :cry:

13. ironduck

ironduck Deity

Not enough women here, let's change to female artists for a while, eh?

The one and only, the unclassifiable, the diva, the extraordinare multi-spanning musician Nina Simone - YouTube is missing on her stuff, but here are a few..

For All We Know and When I Was In My Prime from a 1961 show.

A later version of the protest song Mississippi Goddamn

14. Bartleby

disclaimer: I don't have a copy of that

This is probably the best-known Hendrix version (the one I saw first anyway), also faster, and also w/o vocal.

15. Rambuchan

Agreed. Here's some vintage Aretha Franklin - doing "Respect". Like I said about Billie - just effortless!

As for Nina, well, what a shame she is no longer with us. One of the most versatile ladies that ever sang into a mic and tickled the ivories. What a talent.

16. Bartleby

17. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Ram I was thinking of doing the same thing after yesterday's Peter Tosh/Mick Jagger post. Today I will spend my day working and gootubing songs you all have posted. Plotinus you're a man at my own heart posting some Chicago down and dirty blues.

I'm going to post with a California surfer theme where both lead singers met untimely deaths.
    I would suggest both bands would have continued on for decades.

The Doors "Peace Frog" song length 2:59

Sublime's "What I got" song length 2:52

18. ironduck

ironduck Deity

19. soul_warrior

soul_warrior Termite!

20. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

Dead Kennedys-Holiday in Cambodia
    4:04

A studio version of Jello Biafra's song raging against middle-class stalinit apologists.
    The video, as released , was spliced with footage fro the Vietnam War, and the scenes of the riot at the US embassy.

The Ramones-I don't want to grow up
    Not one of their msot popular songs, but a good riff, and amusing video.

Johnny Cash-Hurt
    Johnny Cash's last song, and a poignant tribute to the man.

REM-Everybody Hurts
    A really nice video

From the fil Deliverance-Dueling Banjos
    Maybe not quite conformig to the rules, but a beatiful scene from the film Deliverance, where they play banjo and guitar (actually played by them)

Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins-Imagine
    Played Live at the Amnesty International show in 197~ playing a beautiful acoustic cover of John Lennon's Imagine.