Reporting after turn 150.
I have exterminated my entire continent. The REX/border blobs strategy was totally insane with this. The +food/gold/border on mines and pastures I think is just too much too soon.
The resource diversity part is also quite strong. When I got the +7 online in my capital it was about 40% of my production in the city, which I think is quite a lot. Together these things are a bit too strong, I think.

I tested the bird building now without IGE. I built them in most cities and in a way that only one of them finishes per turn. I found some wierd stuff going on.
First one completed in the capital. It spawned 3 birds right away on unimproved jungle. They formed a triangle. Next turn, 2 more birds appeared next to the triangle.
It is indeed weird.
I checked the code and added another check to avoid placing Wildlife resource if a worker is building something on the plot.
Also I forgot to add break in the loop for Wildilife diffusion: basically for one positive random draw it attempts to give the resource to all adjacent forest/jungle plots instead of stopping after putting only one.

The wildlife description says it gets +1 culture if next to another wildlife. I was getting +1 culture PER adjacent wildlife.
Yes, it works like the Moai. Maybe I should rephrase it to be clearer.
In the other cities, only 1 bird per city appeared upon UB completion. But ONLY if there was an unimproved forest or jungle. Never did the UB create a new jungle or forest, even if there was space. These cities just missed out on the bird.
Also, birds can spawn on a partially completed improvement in forest.
Ok, there is a typo that basically gives always false answer so it will never create a forest for the resource. :hammer2:
This kind of code is a bit tricky because there are a lot of conditions checks and situations to take into account to make it run perfectly.

Reporting after turn 150.
I have exterminated my entire continent. The REX/border blobs strategy was totally insane with this. The +food/gold/border on mines and pastures I think is just too much too soon.
The resource diversity part is also quite strong. When I got the +7 online in my capital it was about 40% of my production in the city, which I think is quite a lot. Together these things are a bit too strong, I think.
The current formula is 0.75 production per resource (although the minimum total bonus is still 1 production) so it's even less than 1 production per resource as originally devised.
As to the buff to mines and pastures I may remove the gold and tie the +1 :c5food:, +1 BG do the Zimbabwe UB instead and remove it from the UA, but given it would be a substantial change I would like more feedback on the issue.

Edit: update 1.5 online. Not savegame compatible. To make it compatible just replace the old Zimbabwe_Functions.lua file with the new one.

Last edited:
It is indeed weird.
I checked the code and added another check to avoid placing Wildlife resource if a worker is building something on the plot.
Also I forgot to add break in the loop for Wildilife diffusion: basically for one positive random draw it attempts to give the resource to all adjacent forest/jungle plots instead of stopping after putting only one.

Yes, it works like the Moai. Maybe I should rephrase it to be clearer.

Ok, there is a typo that basically gives always false answer so it will never create a forest for the resource. :hammer2:
This kind of code is a bit tricky because there are a lot of conditions checks and situations to take into account to make it run perfectly.

The current formula is 0.75 production per resource (although the minimum total bonus is still 1 production) so it's even less than 1 production per resource as originally devised.
As to the buff to mines and pastures I may remove the gold and tie the +1 :c5food:, +1 BG do the Zimbabwe UB instead and remove it from the UA, but given it would be a substantial change I would like more feedback on the issue.

Edit: update 1.5 online. Not savegame compatible. To make it compatible just replace the old Zimbabwe_Functions.lua file with the new one.
As for the wildlife spawning on a half-built improvement: there was no worler ther building it. It was a conquered city where the AI had been building a lumber mill. Of course, I did not finish it to allow for wildlife to appear.

As for the restriction of needing unimproved jungle or forest to get wildlife: I like that it forces you to reserve those tiles for later and not improve them. On the other hand, it makes conquereing later in the game less attractive since the AI will have improved all tiles by then. At the same time, your kit synergises well with conquest, esp. policy choices. Also, does the AI know that it should leave some tiles unimproved?

As for the restriction of needing unimproved jungle or forest to get wildlife: I like that it forces you to reserve those tiles for later and not improve them. On the other hand, it makes conquereing later in the game less attractive since the AI will have improved all tiles by then. At the same time, your kit synergises well with conquest, esp. policy choices. Also, does the AI know that it should leave some tiles unimproved?
Yes, in line with what @KlHannibal2 says, Wildlife could appear on the tiles without improvement or with an improvement not worked by the city. It would give more possibilities and would block less at the end of the game.

Also, does the AI know that it should leave some tiles unimproved?
Unfortunately there are no available coding tools for telling the AI how to behave directly, only sub-optimal lua workarounds (like removing a lumbermill and place wildlife if there is no space anywhere).

After one game, and several AI only games, I find the science from the Zimbabwe UB the strongest part if the kit. 1 science per city CS will give you 10 extra science per city in the mid game easily. Late game, it can ramp up to 30 or more. If there is one thing to nerf, I would go down to 1 science per 4 CS and see gow they play with that. In the AI games, they were very competitive in scinece most of the time and won a science victory in one of the 4 AI games I did.

Balance update online.

Changelog:
- Nerfed UA: removed +1 :c5food: Food from Mines, Pastures.
- Nerfed UB1: +1 :c5science: Science for every 5 :c5strength: Defense in City (was 3).

This civ feels very well-balanced to me! Nice job. I took it as a militaristic civ heavily focused on out-producing my enemies and got a win on emperor. I was struggling to keep up at first but once I got the zimbabwe's online I started competing for the lead. I wasn't strong enough to conquer my neighbor (Attila) in the early eras so I just focused on expansion and development. With the zimbabwes, vaNyai's, and my military-focused religion I was able to easily keep him from conquering me. It wasn't until the industrial era that I was able to go Autocracy, spam Zvigidis, vassal him and win. I was unfortunately basically never able to get my vaNyais or their upgrades to level 5 but someone more skilled than me at early warfare probably could have. The Rambatwema was nice, though unfortunately my map didn't have that much forest, and I wish there was a way to stop automated workers from building lumber mills! (Probably impossible).

Overall I would say this civ is really well-balanced and fun to play. My only suggestion is that the vaNyai's upgrades keep the Rozvi Bull Horn promotion and the Zvigidi's upgrades keep at least the Chimurenga promotion. It feels like this civ leans towards war with two UUs and a defensive unique building, but those unique promotions are basically all the civ has to go for in terms of military advantages.

Wildlife icon isn't shown in strategic view. Could you fix this please.

Hi, Zimbabwe is incompatible with Even More Resources, at least for me. The game crashes when loading both of these mods, while on their own (and with all other mods enabled) they work. Any idea why would that be? It's not super important, just reporting for others.

Both of them add resources to the map, I guess it is the problem's origin.

Hi, Zimbabwe is incompatible with Even More Resources, at least for me. The game crashes when loading both of these mods, while on their own (and with all other mods enabled) they work. Any idea why would that be? It's not super important, just reporting for others.
I may know the issue. Basically for the wildlife resource I used some files that are also in EMR referring to a resource called "Feathers" that is actually not used by the mod.
In the meantime that I adjust the Zimbabwe files to solve the conflict (I'm away from home at the moment), you can go to "MODS\Even More Resources for Vox Populi (v 10)\Art\Graphics\Resources\" and remove the folder called "Feathers".
Let me know if it works (it should).

I can't tell if I'm getting the bonuses from the UA. Is it added as instant yield at the begining of the turn, every turn?

Yes, every turn you receive a notification on the lower right specifying for each city how much production you receive.

Top Bottom