Zulu medieval units

Could you add a small readme file into the dowload with installation instructions please? I haven't tried mods before and am not sure where to put the new files. Thank you.

Could you add a small readme file into the dowload with installation instructions please? I haven't tried mods before and am not sure where to put the new files. Thank you.
This is the reader's digest short version... If you need more in-depth info, there are tutorials all over the forums. You'll need to modify three XML files for African units (assuming you have BTS).

1) Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml - Change African nations to use the <UnitArtStyleType>UNIT_ARTSTYLE_AFRICAN</UnitArtStyleType>

2) Civ4ArtDefines_Unit.xml - Copy and Paste entries you wish to change and point them to your own folders with these files. Copy "Maceman" for instance, and change it to "Maceman_African" pointing to your own "NIF" files that you get here.

3) Civ4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml - Make an "African" art-style type (copy an existing type if need be, then only use African referances). If you look around the Civ4ArtDefines_Unit.xml, you'll notice there are already african units in the game, you just have to point them out here and you'll get a good mix of units. This part is real simple.

That's it... the above is the BEST way to do it in Civ4, but you need BTS to do it in the above way. If you don't have BTS, you'll need to make "new" units for the game for every nation (it gets more complicated and takes more effort and you'll need to change more files and it will clutter-up the Civilopedia). There's instructions for adding new units into the game, but really, you should use the BTS way for "flavour" units, rather then adding "new" units.

I have added them to my mod, so if you want to see how it is done you could download it (a large download for a little information if this is the only reason to get it though).

that maceman looks awesome! ;)

Very cool!!! I love them! I like it how you didn't base them off the middle-east like most african units I see :) But don't you think the crossbowman would be wearing more?
You'd think so, but if you do a google image search for "zulu" you'll find he's wearing more than most of the guys in the pictures :p

I would, but I kinda have to admit that my XML skills are severly lacking and I'm not really sure how myself... I've just been testing them by slotting them into an existing mod :p

Hey, Polycrates, these are AWESOME! The only thing missing now is the Pikeman *wink* *wink* :)
Yeah I've been working on a pikeman but I've been struggling to make it all click. I think I'm getting close now though :D I'm also working on a javelin thrower (based on the mongol one, not the skirmisher) to replace the archer or whatever. The existing Zulu archer that's out there is so good that it's a shame to be working on a replacement, but I figure javelins are more "zulu" (spearthrowing standoffs were apparently how they generally fought before Shaka came along and brought in the impi-style soldier)

Pikeman and javelineer are done!

Javelineer, as an archer replacement (uses mongolian_javelinthrower animations - included)

Pikeman (uses spearman animations)

I just updated the main archive to include them, so grab them from the download link in the first post.

Also, if anyone can manage to get transparency to work with the pikeman's cloak bits (I included an alpha-mapped texture as well just in case there's someone smart out there), you will be my idol :D

Maybe that spear-throwing unit could be a scout for the Zulus?

Could be, I guess, though there's also already a really cool african scout model around. Not sure the javelineer quite fits as a scout either.

A few more!
I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THESE, they took me maybe only an hour's work total, and all the hard work was done by others. I just wanted to fill out the Zulu lineup for my own purposes, and thought I'd share...

There were two awesome choices for Zulu war elephants; the EDU team's awesome African elephant (with the big ears), and Chugginator's elephant with an amazingly cool Zulu carriage. So I stuck the two together so I wouldn't have to choose any more :D

I know Zerver made an African cannon with the african rifleman skin, but I couldn't resist making one using Bakuel's African grenadier skin, which is one of my favourite reskins from any civ.

The antitank and the paratrooper are just the standard models with african faces pasted on top of them. They're not really unique, and the antitank looks pretty silly with a Zulu warrior in a Wehrmacht uniform, but it's a little bit of an improvement, I think.

Picture:
Spoiler :

DOWNLOAD

Ah, thanks for those. I can *almost* complete my African ethnic unitline now... btw, are you bychance interested in putting a marine behind a machinegun, as to have a more modern-looking machinegunner?

As for the missionaries, its a good start. Perhaps the typical African head on some of them (for instance the Christian missionary) would be better then just some recolored skin? The Islam missionary for instance would look better with the Mali skirmisher head.

Ah, thanks for those. I can *almost* complete my African ethnic unitline now... btw, are you bychance interested in putting a marine behind a machinegun, as to have a more modern-looking machinegunner?
I would be, but I've discovered the hard way that reboning is waaaaaaay beyond my skill level :p

As for the missionaries, its a good start. Perhaps the typical African head on some of them (for instance the Christian missionary) would be better then just some recolored skin? The Islam missionary for instance would look better with the Mali skirmisher head.
Maybe, but then it makes it harder to retain the religious distinctiveness. Essentially, I just wanted the darker skin (just for my own use) and I've been fairly bankrupt of ideas of what else to do with them. So all ideas and suggestions are very welcome (as long as they don't involve reboning :D )
By the way, that Christian head was probably my favourite - I think the skin and hair really work for an african preacher. I'm pretty sure I used the skirmisher face texture for him anyway, for what that's worth.
Here he is with Desmond Tutu-type robes - comes out alright, I think. I could probably do the head as well.

EDIT: here's the african islamic missionary as well; buddhist missionary with the red buddhist colourscheme; and confucian missionary (based on Kwanzaabot :D ); jewish with shawl and yarmulke. I'll release when I've done the others or given up.

Attachments

• tutu.jpg
    tutu.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 67
  • islam.jpg
    islam.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 120
  • buddhist.jpg
    buddhist.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 63
  • confucian.jpg
    confucian.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 61
  • jewish.jpg
    jewish.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 60
Excellent artwork, reskinning and creativity. Keep up the good work please.

The extra units (war elephant, antitank, cannon) are now updated with a little more individuality. See the bottom of the first post!

My only commnet would be to gave the african Crossbowman some decent battle armor so they are able to survive some battles
It's a valid point, but I wanted the Zulus to be lightly-armoured compared to their contemporaries; the idea being that they're maybe slightly behind in terms of technology and equipment, but that they make up for it with ferocity and skill from their warrior tradition.

the idea being that they're maybe slightly behind in terms of technology and equipment, but that they make up for it with ferocity and skill from their warrior tradition.
Or mass numbers...

"Quantity has a quality all it's own"

-Joseph Stalin

Okay, a couple of teasers for my upcoming attempt to convert every living unit for african countries, here's the spies! There's not really much you can do with the ancient spy, so I gave him dark skin and a dark blue robe. The modern spy is kinda a 70s blaxploitation spy, with slinky outfit courtesy of Cate Archer from No-One Lives Forever. The 'fro has also been re-used for the modern great artist (not pictured yet).
Most of the rest of the great people will probably not be particularly exciting - just a different face and change of skin tone, maybe a change in clothes colours. They're not in the game enough to be worth putting a lot of work into, I figure.

EDIT: Great generals also done!

Attachments

• ancientspy.jpg
    ancientspy.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 74
  • modernspy.jpg
    modernspy.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 93
  • generals.jpg
    generals.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 74
Wow you're doing great work Polycrates, they're all awesome. If you ever need any re-boning done you can always ask, it's quite easy once for me now I've got the hang of it.

pretty good my favorite is the maceman.

Yeah... the maceman is fantastic!

Top Bottom