Apolyton CS Transition 2009: Executive Changeover

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
The oldest, continuously operating Civilization fansite is undergoing a complete executive changeover. In what is the most significant change in its administration since one of its co-founders left its ranks two-and-a-half years ago, its other co-founder is following similar suit.

Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS) Chief Owner/Administrator Daniel "DanQ" Quick is leaving that role and the site's staff altogether effective May 1, 2009. He reached an agreement to transfer controlling ownership to current staff member Robert Plomp (formerly "CyberShy"). He, in turn, is splitting that role equally with fellow Civ fan Jeroen Schweitzer to become Chief Owners/Administrators. Following their own respective considerations in turn, the rest of the site's current administration are leaving those capacities as well. Co-Owners/Administrators Wouter "Locutus" Snijders, Ming and rah and Co-Administrator Solver have also all decided to no longer be apart of the ACS staff, to coincide with Quick's departure.

Quick intends to continue to be an active part of the online Civilization community, however. He will be retaining ownership and otherwise control of PolyCast, an ongoing series of podcasts on Civ, and Age of Nations, a now concluded dramatic machinima series based in the Rise of Nations game engine. He will also continue to serve as an adviser to the Committee behind CivCon '09, the Civilization convention to be held this August in Hunt Valley, Maryland.

"Apolyton Civilization Site is a big name in the Civilization community. We're excited to get a leading role in the future of this site," says Plomp. "Daniel Quick has been very important to it, and he'll be sorely missed. We are quite positive that we'll be able to deal with the issues Apolyton is facing these days, and it's our goal to have Apolyton remain an important source for Civ-related information and communication".

"This was not a decision I came to easily, or lightly," Quick says. "I have been a fansite operator in the Civ community for almost 13 years. I have had the honour and privilege of working with so many thoughtful and talented individuals who share a passion for the computer (and now also console) strategy game known as Civilization. I have made associations, connections and friendships that I value very much and look forward to continuing and growing beyond the here and now.

But I know that my stepping aside is in the best interests of Apolyton and myself. It is time for me to make way for Robert and Jeroen who are willing and able to take on the challenges this site faces. I have had the opportunity to speak to them about their intentions and preliminary plans, and am encouraged."

"As we speak we are busy investigating and considering some pretty awesome possibilities for the future," Plomp adds. "Thanks to Dan for all the work he has put into Apolyton, and all the enthusiasm and dedication that has made Apolyton an important source for Civ-related content for a decade!"

Quick and company have served as Apolyton's first Cabinet, the internal name given to the site's administration, since November 2006 (with Solver joining its ranks the following September). Quick co-founded the site with Markos "MarkG" Giannopoulos in July 1998, who left the site's staff earlier this year. Quick has written and posted an open letter to the Apolyton and greater Civilization community on his decision here. ACS has been an independently owned and non-commercial operation since its inception.

Good luck in the future Dan! :)

Dan, you made me think of my own retirement. :(

Thank you very much for everything you have done for the Civilization community, and for making Apolyton a great destination to visit for all Civ fans over the years. :thumbsup: As a fellow Civ fan site owner, I fully understand the amount of time, dedication, and effort required to operate a large fan site for so long. Your dedication is truly unsurpassed in the community.

I am glad to hear you plan to continue to be active and certainly hope you will continue to play an important role in the Civ community.

Thanks and take care!

:eek::wow:

That's definately a shocker! Good Luck, Dan!

Best wishes for the future, Dan. Good luck to your successors.

Thanks Dale, Methos, Padma, ainwood, Chieftess, Alan. :)

Dan, you made me think of my own retirement. :(
:o

Thank you very much for everything you have done for the Civilization community, and for making Apolyton a great destination to visit for all Civ fans over the years. :thumbsup: As a fellow Civ fan site owner, I fully understand the amount of time, dedication, and effort required to operate a large fan site for so long. Your dedication is truly unsurpassed in the community.
Thank you for the most kind words. :king:

Good to see you'll still be involved in Civ.
I am glad to hear you plan to continue to be active and certainly hope you will continue to play an important role in the Civ community.
At least you'll still be involved with Civ, so we'll still meet, at least on the internet. :)
:beer:

What? You're not allowed to get a life!
:lol:

Wow! :eek: I had to double check the date, thought we had time-warped back 28 days for a moment there.

Thanks Dan for your contributions to fandom, and best of luck! :beer:

Wow! :eek: I had to double check the date, thought we had time-warped back 28 days for a moment there.
:D, I understand.

Thanks Dan for your contributions to fandom, and best of luck! :beer:
It has been my pleasure, and thank you for the well wishes. I'm looking forward to continuing to contribute to the Civ community through PolyCast.

There aren't too many still independent gaming sites (civfanatics is owned by UGO which is owned by Hearst Corporation, for example). DanQ and his team steered those difficult waters for longer than most and deserve full credit.

I am not registered on apolyton, though I do visit from time to time to listen to polycast. I will continue to do so even with the new management, though based on the announcement this is the one part of the site that DanQ will continue run.

There aren't too many still independent gaming sites (civfanatics is owned by UGO which is owned by Hearst Corporation, for example). DanQ and his team steered those difficult waters for longer than most and deserve full credit.
Civfanatics is owned by Thunderfall. It is hosted by Telefragged / atomic gamer IIRC, and UGO is just advertising here.

Top Bottom