Making of "Brave New World" - article from Polygon

Just finished it. Would have been cool if they did a segment on all 9 leaders because I want to know more about the process of my home nation of Indonesia, but I'm not complaining because that was a lot of great content.

Favorite quote is near the beginning when they mention CivFanatics hehe

Gaaaahhhh! I would much prefered if they showed Dandolo Peace page! The Opening Menu one only had a whole rest, that doesn't help to know how it sounds like!

Also, dodged a bullet with the Shoshone leader! Thank you, Firaxis!

Found this little thing in the Antiquity Sites section:
'Once you get hotels and airports online, it (a landmark) also produces tourism.'
So airports seem to have some sort of tourism effect.

I had to laugh out loud quite a few times. So Indonesia is in because it's an up-and-coming economic power? Not because (South East) Asia has been neglected a lot. And they are correct that South America and Africa are empty, but then they give them Morocco who's almost culturally Mediterranean and European and a small native tribe that is only famous for fighting the English and being in the first civilization game?

Then they want to make the Shoshone a peaceful isolationist civ, but manage to create one that should be expanding aggressively (though peacefully) from the start in a REX, with wider borders fueling the expansion (luxuries available) and getting them into conflict with other civs. (and making them a primary target for a "after first expansion" rush, to get those in regards to borders developed cities...

They seem well intentioned, but ...

The most important point I take away from this article though is that for the next game, they need to get a graphic "thing" to create the Leaders that takes much less time as that seems to be the biggest constraint... And frankly, I get almost nothing of these leaderscreens (but that's a personal opinion :))

It's interesting that they weren't able to find much history on the Shoshone. I was able to find a book to read after maybe a 20 minute search on the internet.

I wish they would have mentioned why they chose Pocatello over Washakie, because that is a really interesting question.

So Venice are supposed to be the villains, huh? It's interesting to me that that was their take on Venice. I guess any civilization could be seen as heroic or evil depending on when and how you look at them.

Looks like Ethiopia is in the Scramble for Africa scenario.
Other (relatively pointless) thing I gleaned from the article is that one of the new Steam achievements is named after Sacajawea.

The leader screens are like civ2's wonder screens - you see them once and then skip over them (or in the case of the leaders, just read the menu choices).

Zulus are in solely because of so-called tradition in the series, not on their own merits.

It's interesting that they weren't able to find much history on the Shoshone. I was able to find a book to read after maybe a 20 minute search on the internet.

I wish they would have mentioned why they chose Pocatello over Washakie, because that is a really interesting question.

Probably just that, they didn't find enough info. And as you said, I'm not sure how long they "researched" :)

So Venice are supposed to be the villains, huh? It's interesting to me that that was their take on Venice. I guess any civilization could be seen as heroic or evil depending on when and how you look at them.

No, Dandolo is supposed to be the villain, if I get them right. And they're correct there. Sacking Constantinople (=your allies) just for the hell of it isn't a nice thing to do. Dandolo certainly wasn't a paragon of morale and ethics, so it's fine to say he's a villain in my book.

@Buccaneer I often watched civ2's wonder videos. There was often something new to see (and I was of course much younger then). I always skipped over civ 4's wonder screens, and I like the way civ5 did it. Civ3 had those small static pics, right? Those were boring as well..

This was a very nice and interesting read! Certainly have the feeling that the Shoshone are a cool choice after all!

I had to laugh out loud quite a few times. So Indonesia is in because it's an up-and-coming economic power? Not because (South East) Asia has been neglected a lot. And they are correct that South America and Africa are empty, but then they give them Morocco who's almost culturally Mediterranean and European and a small native tribe that is only famous for fighting the English and being in the first civilization game?

Agreed, I was scratching my head on that. I think maybe they aren't telling us everything, because I thought they had included Indonesia for one of two reasons (1) Fan requested or (2) Major empire in Asia. It could very well be those were taken into account, but the modern presence was most important to them. For Brazil, however, the modern presence as the main reason makes more sense.

And yeah, if they really cared about geographical representation, they would have included a Sub-Saharan African civ to fill in that gaping hole. But they had to fill their Europe quota, and they actually did manage to fill in other holes, so I won't complain about this.

Then they want to make the Shoshone a peaceful isolationist civ, but manage to create one that should be expanding aggressively (though peacefully) from the start in a REX, with wider borders fueling the expansion (luxuries available) and getting them into conflict with other civs. (and making them a primary target for a "after first expansion" rush, to get those in regards to borders developed cities...

I think it makes sense. They expand honorably, without stealing tiles from neighbors and angering them, but this might provoke the neighbor anyway especially in MP when you are eyeing a piece of land but Shoshone snatches it away from you with ease. Historically it makes sense. Gameplay wise the defensive bonuses make sense

'Once you get hotels and airports online, it (a landmark) also produces tourism.'

Yes, we knew about hotels. Probably airports provide the same benefits related to tourism.

Also this:

"The amount of culture and tourism generated is based on how old it is. That increases during the game, so it's a really simple formula. If you're in the medieval era, which is the third era in the game, and this goodie hut was from the ancient era — where we are right now, the first era in the game — it's just two eras further, so you get two culture from it. But as you go, each era you progress through the game, all your sites start building up more and more.

Why is it so important to fill in geographic holes when almost everyone plays on non-earth maps?

Also, please note that it is heavily implied that Venice can purchase units in its puppets, and units only.

Why is it so important to fill in geographic holes when almost everyone plays on non-earth maps?

I think he refers to having CIV in continents almost empty, how many European civilizations we have compared to South America or Africa?

Top Bottom