1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[1.0.0.194] Problem with huge maps (natural wonder selection)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by dpwms, Feb 1, 2018.

1. dpwms

dpwms Chieftain

Description of occurrence:
    Current game version on Windows 10 with all official DLC. Huge maps of the continents and fractal types, and possibly others, never spawn the following wonders: Great Barrier Reef, Galapagos Islands, and Ha Long Bay. These wonders spawn correctly on large maps and smaller, and on the Island Plates map type (including huge).

Mods in use:
    None. During testing, I disabled all mods and made a clean installation of the game and official DLC. I used a mod called "More Natural Beauty" so that 2x the normal number of natural wonders would spawn. I then created 20+ new games using random leaders, Prince difficulty, normal speed, continents map, and size huge. In all 20+ attempts, the three wonders mentioned above failed to spawn. I repeated the same test using map size large, and the natural wonders spawned as expected on the first try and every try thereafter.

Thoughts:
    Something in the map creator and/or the wonder configuration is causing these three sea-based wonders to never spawn on some Huge map types, including continents and fractal. I have read that these wonders have checks so that they are not placed near ice, and I wonder if something about huge continents and fractal maps causes the ice check to fail for the entire map?

Thanks!
    Don

2. Kougar7

Kougar7 Chieftain

Very interesting. I wondered about this limited spawning with certain natural wonders but I assumed they were coded to be map or configuration specific for some reason.

I played a Huge Archipelago style map with the Rise & Fall expansion and there were almost no natural wonders in the entire map. I wish I had counted, but there was about half the number usual in a huge map. I have no idea if it's yet another of the many bugs or just by some quirk of deliberate design.