[1.0.0.194] Problem with huge maps (natural wonder selection)

dpwms

Chieftain
Description of occurrence:
Current game version on Windows 10 with all official DLC. Huge maps of the continents and fractal types, and possibly others, never spawn the following wonders: Great Barrier Reef, Galapagos Islands, and Ha Long Bay. These wonders spawn correctly on large maps and smaller, and on the Island Plates map type (including huge).

Mods in use:
None. During testing, I disabled all mods and made a clean installation of the game and official DLC. I used a mod called "More Natural Beauty" so that 2x the normal number of natural wonders would spawn. I then created 20+ new games using random leaders, Prince difficulty, normal speed, continents map, and size huge. In all 20+ attempts, the three wonders mentioned above failed to spawn. I repeated the same test using map size large, and the natural wonders spawned as expected on the first try and every try thereafter.

Thoughts:
Something in the map creator and/or the wonder configuration is causing these three sea-based wonders to never spawn on some Huge map types, including continents and fractal. I have read that these wonders have checks so that they are not placed near ice, and I wonder if something about huge continents and fractal maps causes the ice check to fail for the entire map?

Thanks!
Don

Very interesting. I wondered about this limited spawning with certain natural wonders but I assumed they were coded to be map or configuration specific for some reason.

I played a Huge Archipelago style map with the Rise & Fall expansion and there were almost no natural wonders in the entire map. I wish I had counted, but there was about half the number usual in a huge map. I have no idea if it's yet another of the many bugs or just by some quirk of deliberate design.

Top Bottom