[R&F] 1.0.0.317 User Interface Disappears when meeting first AI Civ

SecretSecret

Chieftain
This has been widely reported on Steam forums and it has been recommended that I upload a saved game that will trigger the bug.

At the moment I meet a new AI major civilization, the UI disappears completely. I can move whatever units have not moved that turn, but then I cannot interact at all. I can move my cursor and click on units but I can't do anything with them. The only keyboard key that works is "Esc," which pulls up the menu.

Before the classic responses come, please read the following:

This is not a mod problem. All mods have been disabled. I have never used mods, not even the CQUI thing. Do not tell me to delete/disable mods.
I have tried on Directx11 and 12. I have done every graphics/performance configuration possible.
I have tried on maps sizes tiny, small, standard, and large. I have tried with one other civ up through 8 other civs.
I have even tried doing the whole game on strategic map mode, which still did not help.
I have verified the files dozens of times. I have uninstalled, deleted everything, and reinstalled twice.

If you want to trigger the bug in the attached save file, move the only warrior (Korea) one hex to the left.

PLEASE HELP. Or report your own experience so that we can finally get the game working again.

Attachments

• Test for UI Crash.Civ6Save
    643.8 KB · Views: 169
  • UI Crash Demonstrated.Civ6Save
    644.7 KB · Views: 216
I don't get what you describe when I load and play forward with either save file. Move warrior, meet Philip, all OK. Meet Pedro a few turns later, all OK.

All I can suggest is that you reload the first save, play through to generate the glitch, and then post your zipped log files. You might also post your DxDiag file.

Well, that's interesting. Where do I get the zipped log files? I've also tried to do the DXDiag file but i couldn't figure out if I posted the right thing. how do I do that?

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    494.6 KB · Views: 169
For DxDiag, just type DxDiag at the Windows prompt -- it will assume you want to "Run" DxDiag from the command prompt and it will fire up. Select "Save all information" to generate a txt file that you can upload.

For log files, navigate to the logs folder (should be something like "C:\[path]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Logs"), select all of the files in that folder and zip them up using your favorite zip tool.

Posted Logs above in an edited post. Here they are again and here's the DXDiag file.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    494.6 KB · Views: 172
  • DxDiag.txt
    87 KB · Views: 144
Thanks. Hopefully, with the saves, logs and DxDiag, someone at Firaxis can diagnose and reproduce this.

I have a very good idea why this happens...

Your GPU driver is from 2016.
Having said that, your running the game on a AMD integrated GPU that launched in 2014.
AMD IGP aren't supported at all. But when looking at relative power it's weaker then an AMD Radeon 5450 (see here: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r5-graphics.c2629)
The minimum AMD Radeon supported is AMD 5570.

So your IGP is too weak to run this game in a way that 2K and Firaxis are comfortable saying that you can run it.

It doesn't mean it cannot run it at all, but you have to expect it not being able to or run badly. But let's try to have it run at all (aka, pass a leader screen.) First thing to do is to set all the graphics options to the absolute minimum and try again.

It will probably help if you also update your driver first. This is the most recent one: https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/...es-apu-for-laptops/a8-7410-radeon-r5-graphics
From that page you probably need this one: https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/bet...tware-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.4.3-apr22.exe

Very interesting comment, Donald23!

But, in the Steam discussion where Secretsecret is posting, the subscriber of the discussion (mr-ffox) is actually using an AMD RX570 graphic card with newest driver, facing the same issue...:cringe: ... and we cannot say RX570 is weaker than minimim required...

So, my idea is that such issue is more AMD-related rather than GPU-related... :scan:

(in my case, I have an AMD Radeon HD 5450 with no issues at all until the last update)

Is there anyone facing the same problem with a non-AMD GPU?!?! :confused:

First time playing the game in quite some time, encountered exactly the same issue as Secretsecret describes. Game chugging along nicely, first encounter with an AI civilization, I lose all of the overlay controls and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to get them back. Exiting and reloading brings the UI controls back right up until I encounter the other Civ, then back to no useful UI controls. I'm running on an older machine (CPU appears to be an AMD FX(tm)-8350) with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics card.

Very interesting comment, Donald23!

But, in the Steam discussion where Secretsecret is posting, the subscriber of the discussion (mr-ffox) is actually using an AMD RX570 graphic card with newest driver, facing the same issue...:cringe: ... and we cannot say RX570 is weaker than minimim required...

So, my idea is that such issue is more AMD-related rather than GPU-related... :scan:

(in my case, I have an AMD Radeon HD 5450 with no issues at all until the last update)

Is there anyone facing the same problem with a non-AMD GPU?!?! :confused:
I think the issues manifest in the same way but have different underlying reasons. I have no indication to suspect AMD in general for this.
All I can say, is this specific poster that provided the dxdiag has a very probably reason (and by now confirmed on Steam) that his driver and driver settings needed fixing.

This very same issue has been reported many times due to using CQUI after the release of GS. I'm unaware if that mod is by now updated on the Steam workshop, but if not, that will continue to cause this very same effect. Obviously a very different cause (mod use vs below minimum requirements system + drivers)

Which is also why everyone should really create their own support topic, after having tried the solutions from previous support topics that talk about similar symptoms.

The save files you posted are created using version 1.0.0.317 and the error you get in lua.log is:
Runtime Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\LeaderIcon.lua:108: function expected instead of nil

I have version 1.0.0.317 and:
a) The file LeaderIcon.lua is located in a different folder, e.g. ...\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\Instances
b) Line 108 doesn't contain any meaningful code

Curious, since this file was in your location last time in version 1.0.0.167 of the game, and since version 1.0.0.194 it is in ...\Instances.
Also, your file uses in the line 108 the function IsValidRelationship() which is no longer available in the current version of the game. This is what is causing the actual error.

My interpretation of Infixo's findings is that you may need to revalidate your game files through Steam (go to Library, right click the game, select properties, then the local files tab, and then verify integrity). If that report says it needed to reinstall some files, run it again until you get a clean report. Then load the game and see if the problem persists.

If, the first time you validate, it says all files were verified, without having to re-install any files, the mystery will remain unsolved. Please report back here in either case.

Thank you Browd for your interpretation, but as already explained by Secretsecret in his first post (valid also for my case), “... I have verified the files dozens of times. I have uninstalled, deleted everything, and reinstalled twice.”

So what?! :shifty:

Yes, I have.
One on my laptop (with no problems) and one on my home desktop (with problem dealt in this discussion).
I updated my desktop version on Steam one week ago and I got the problem, so I have avoided updating my laptop, where I keep playing CivVI-GS with old version.
Of course, I will update my laptop only when I will understand the reason behind the problem on my desktop... :shifty:

I'm having this exact problem, has there been a fix for it? I can't seem to find any kind of solution.

Thank you Browd for your interpretation, but as already explained by Secretsecret in his first post (valid also for my case), “... I have verified the files dozens of times. I have uninstalled, deleted everything, and reinstalled twice.”

So what?! :shifty:
define "deleted everything"

you manually deleted the game's folder in your steam folder after having uninstalled the game ?

if you added/copied/moved some files manually at some point, they may not be removed automatically by checking the files integrity, or even uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and may still cause issue by overriding the normal file when loading the game.

Or maybe one of the patch failed to delete the file in the old folder when it installed the new one.

Have you tried to search for multiple versions of LeaderIcon.lua in your "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\" folder and subfolders since Infixo's post ?

Has there been a fix for this yet?? im having the same problem here and cant find a fix for it anywhere?? plz help!!

i have tryed almost everything, uninstalling, veryfing files i mill. times, all graphics set to low eventhough i can run in high, i have done all the things i could find online and nothing works!! i have no mods and never had any, i have been playing civ 6 for more than 2000 hours and never had this problem before, my system can easely run yhis game so its not the computer.

Does anyone have any idea what to do???

This has been widely reported on Steam forums and it has been recommended that I upload a saved game that will trigger the bug.

At the moment I meet a new AI major civilization, the UI disappears completely. I can move whatever units have not moved that turn, but then I cannot interact at all. I can move my cursor and click on units but I can't do anything with them. The only keyboard key that works is "Esc," which pulls up the menu.

Before the classic responses come, please read the following:

This is not a mod problem. All mods have been disabled. I have never used mods, not even the CQUI thing. Do not tell me to delete/disable mods.
I have tried on Directx11 and 12. I have done every graphics/performance configuration possible.
I have tried on maps sizes tiny, small, standard, and large. I have tried with one other civ up through 8 other civs.
I have even tried doing the whole game on strategic map mode, which still did not help.
I have verified the files dozens of times. I have uninstalled, deleted everything, and reinstalled twice.

If you want to trigger the bug in the attached save file, move the only warrior (Korea) one hex to the left.

PLEASE HELP. Or report your own experience so that we can finally get the game working again.

Did you find a fix for this? i have the same problem as you and cant find a fix??

Top Bottom