1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[1.0.0.341] Late game (turn 300+) instability on larger than vanilla maps

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Bug Reports' started by Gedemon, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

This is a problem with the game's engine that is exposed by mods, but can not been fixed by mods, similar to the Builder Lag issue.

I know it doesn't happen in the base game, meaning that I can't expect it to be fixed, but given the number of demands I got from YnAMP's users, I feel that I have to at least report it too, and I suppose Firaxis has some feedback on their side to assess if fixing it for their customers that like larger maps is worth the development time.

That issue was first introduced in the Summer 2017 Update (1.0.0.167) and is even worst since the Gathering Storm Launch Update (1.0.0.290)

Summary:

• At release in 2016 the game's stability on larger maps was extremely impressive compared to civ5, we could play full games on 230x116 maps with all civs and CS without any crashes at all, the only requirement was patience and a video card with at least 6 GB of VRAM.
    • With the Summer 2017 Update (1.0.0.167), 230x116 maps would now crash on launch, but "smaller" big maps at 200x100 were still rock stable full game. Strangely, I got report from Win7 users that they could still play at 230x116 but I could not test that, my two PC are running on win10.
    • With the Gathering Storm Launch Update (1.0.0.290), large maps up to 200x100 are still loading, but now the game is very unstable in late game for any map bigger than 128x80 (that's civ5 huge maps), with hard crashes occuring at turns 300+ on all version of the game. For Gathering Storm, a reproducible cause has been identified, the first ocean water rising.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Ferocitus likes this.
  2. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Tested 1.0.0.341, same issues.

- crash on sea level rising on size > 128x80
    - largest map size that was rock stable in 2016 (230x116) still don't load
    - random crashes at giant size (180x90) in late game even without sea rising

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Ferocitus likes this.
  3. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

I too lament the loss of the YNAMP's largest maps for Civ6. (They are, by far, the most beautiful ones available!)

The only mod I use is YNAMP.
    I always deliberately set sea level to low so civs have plenty of room to expand.
    Before the latest upgrade I finished at least 50 games at marathon pace, each lasting >1500 turns.
    Look what happens now, well before 200 turns!

I have used the same computer for over 2 years: i7-4790K CPU@4.00GHz, 16Gb RAM, GTX 970, Win7, DX11.
    I uninstalled the previous version of ynamp, cleaned out the .sql files and logs etc, and installed the new version. (After rebooting to make sure that I had a "clean machine".)

20190913015605_1.jpg
    20190913015614_1.jpg

LATE EDIT: I cleaned out all mods, logs, sql files and started a game using a standard issue Fractal map. It went well until I loaded the saved game the next day. The same graphic bug as shown in the 2nd attachment occurred.

Someone else in the discussion of the latest release noted a similar error too. He put it down to the mods he was using, but it seems it can happen with plain vanilla G&S.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019