[1.0.10.15] Late game (turn 300+) instability on larger than vanilla maps

tired of it, looks now like a glitch in the layers the game has to track stuff for GS. So alswo when mechanica are nice, going back to CIV 5-

And how to disable sea level rise?

Play Standard Rules, R&F or turn to zero Disaster Intensity. Maybe slower game speeds. Try monopolies mode for a quicker game.

Also:
  1. Don't chop or remove features. (Harvesting resources, yes).
  2. Expand rapidly into woods and jungle preventing AI from removing features.
  3. Avoid building more than 1 coal power plant. Later convert to oil and then nuclear.
  4. Use geothermal, wind and solar power instead.

FWIW, Larger Maps crashes aren't caused by Sea Level rising explecitly, so even if you remove them or prevent them from happening, it won't stop the Game from crashing. Even before NFP, the base Game (which obviously doesn't have any Random Events) used to crash on larger Maps.

What's also worth noting, is that even though some People can play fine on 120x80 Maps, others can't even do that, not to mention Maps larger than that. So it's a varying experience by Players, maybe the hardware plays a role in this.

Anyway,
If you're OK with playing the Game without the Disasters from GS, then simply removing the Random Events Capability allows for stable Games on Maps bigger than 120x80. I tested it with a 144x90 Map and didn't encounter even a single crash durring the whole Game (from early till late Game), and I don't have a Gaming PC, just a regular Laptop that plays the Game on low-mid Settings.

It might be a big Caveat for some (especially since Civs like Egypt will be less unique and need a rework or vanilla/RnF abilities), but in case you want to try it out, I've already included the Option to disable Random Events in my Customization VI Mod.

I'm one of those who cannot play large maps and I have a whopping great graphics card in my system too, along with 64Gb of RAM.
Same thing on PS4 as well - it slows up more & more at turn ends and eventually stalls completely.
Same as on PC, with the sole difference that the PC version will either Stall or crash to desktop for occasional variety.

Since today's patch mentions crashes having been fixed...I wonder if this issue is among them? Has anyone tried already?

I can confirm that game after december patch is far more stable on Earh map 128x80 size, in my current game I pass 900 turns without single crash with 45 civs ans 17 CS
I waiting for totalslacker if he manage to fix his 150x84 map and I will test bigger maps.

Unfortunately GEM from YnAMP mod is crashing on loading (C++ error), Firaxis did great job to stabilize and improve performance on big maps but still there is room for improvment for giant size maps (if possilbe, please?) : )

EDIT:
totalsclacker mod Play The World map 150*84 is working, I had mod conflict, I will perform some test on that size

Last edited:
I can confirm that game after december patch is far more stable on Earh map 128x80 size, in my current game I pass 900 turns without single crash with 45 civs ans 17 CS
I waiting for totalslacker if he manage to fix his 150x84 map and I will test bigger maps.
Oh that's good news!

I will perform some tests of my own after I return home after x'mas.

Some other interesting news - i was able to start a ludicrous size game!

ok, 3rd turn

Unhandled Exception
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error reading address 0x87f74302

Call Stack
-----------------------------------------------------
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0

I had same error on GEM from YnAMP, currently playing on 150*85 from Play the World mod and after 350 turns no single crash : )

I had same error on GEM from YnAMP, currently playing on 150*85 from Play the World mod and after 350 turns no single crash : )
The Play the World mode doesn't load for me for some reason. How many civs and free states did you use to start your game? I'd love to test it as well and see if it's more stable after the patch if you could please tell me what mods did you use

Tried to only enable YnAMP and PWM. The Lua.log had this error recorded.

Map Script: ------------------------------------------------------
Map Script: Setting YnAMP globals and cache...
Map Script: Map Name = PTW_GiantEarth
Map Script: MapScript = {0ffac96e-140c-4389-8ae8-6c0cd6391c40}Maps/Giant Earth/PTW_GiantEarth_WB.Civ6Map
Map Script: YnAMP Options:
Map Script: - Culturally Linked = false, TSL = true, Exclusion Zones = false, Requested Resources = false, Real Deposits = false, Place All Luxuries = false
Map Script: - bImportResources = false, bPlaceAllStrategics = nil, bAlternatePlacement = nil, bMapScriptRefForNW = nil, bMapScriptRefForExtra = nil
Map Script: bOttomansOverride isfalse
Map Script: bScythiaOverride isfalse
Map Script: bPhoeniciaOverride isfalse
Map Script: bSumeriaOverride isfalse
Map Script: bHungaryOverride isnil
Map Script: - Features placement = nil , Rivers Placement = nil , Resource placement = nil , Natural Wonders placement = nil , Continents naming = nil , Lowland placement = nil , Flood Plains placement = nil
Map Script: Loading YnAMP functions ...
Map Script: Replacing ResourceBuilder.CanHaveResource by YnAMP_CanHaveResource...
Runtime Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\2242698031\Scripts\AssignStartingPlots.lua:6578: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\2242698031\Scripts\AssignStartingPlots.lua:6578: in function '(main chunk)'
[C]: in function 'lInclude'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Maps\Utility\SetDefaultAssignedStartingPlots.lua:11: in function '(main chunk)'
[C]: in function '(anonymous)'
Lua callstack:

@C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Maps\Utility\SetDefaultAssignedStartingPlots.lua:11
Error loading file where=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Maps\Utility\SetDefaultAssignedStartingPlots.lua:11: , file=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070\2242698031\Scripts\AssignStartingPlots.lua
SetDefaultAssignedStartingPlots: Map Seed = 0

I will perform some tests of my own after I return home after x'mas.

I too have noticed better performance playing the Old World map from UN Earth Maps. It's 95*128.

As an experiment I made larger Scrambled South Pacific, a mostly water map, and at the same size 128*95 it seems to play well (though so much water doesn't suit the scrambled map scripts and it doesn't produce great results with many map seeds failing). I'm not certain though if this is the result of the larger map size or a limitation with the scrambled map scripts on mostly water maps.

Last edited:

Also playing on 150*85 Play the World Earth map 105 turns in no problems so far

140x74 (10,360 tiles) was the limit I used for 2:1 ratio, it's a bit larger than 120x80 (9,600)

I remember it was a bit larger previously (and unstable) so I reduced it, but it was still lower than 11,000 tiles IIRC, vs 12,600 for your map here.

There was definitively an amelioration after the March or April 2021 patch as I was finally able to pass the sea rising turn on the Giant Earth (180x94) for the first time (see previous page) but only by fully lowering the graphic settings on a pretty big PC (RTX3080+Ryzen 5600X)

As I had stopped developing YnAMP at this time, I didn't try the new limits for normal graphic settings, but I do remember people still reported crashes on the Giant Earth anyway.
Hello,

Can you confirm that it is indeed possible to play with your giant map of the earth (180X94), stably and without fear of bugs, provided you have a gaming computer?

Moreover, I use several cheat mods combined (cheat menu for units and cheat switch civilization) to be able to pre-install each city of each civilization at the beginning of the game, in order to get closer to the historical reality, Do you think this early game manipulation can be supported by the game on a giant map?

Unfortunately, I cannot play with the card "Play the World - Giant earth 150 X 84" while I can play with the card Play the World - Earth 128 X 80":

When I start the game with "Play the World - Giant earth 150 X 84", there are absolutely no characters on the map, so we can not found a city and start the game, but the map is present...

Does anyone have a lead to play on?

Does anyone have a lead to play on?
I'm going to reply in the absence of Gedemon (whom I believe may have moved on) 🤷‍♂️

I can confirm it is now possible to play larger than 128x80 maps.
I have not played Gedemon's maps...not in the last 5 years at least, so I can't help you with those. 😆

BUT I have made more than a dozen play test of my own super sized map/mods, which actually Gedemon assisted me in debugging/testing like 6+(?) yrs ago.

You can play the Old World map in UN Earth Maps Pack. (95x128).
(No other mods required).

I'm going to reply in the absence of Gedemon (whom I believe may have moved on) 🤷‍♂

I can confirm it is now possible to play larger than 128x80 maps.
I have not played Gedemon's maps...not in the last 5 years at least, so I can't help you with those. �

BUT I have made more than a dozen play test of my own super sized map/mods, which actually Gedemon assisted me in debugging/testing like 6+(?) yrs ago.

You can play the Old World map in UN Earth Maps Pack. (95x128).
(No other mods required).
Thank you for your answer. It’s nice. Do you think playing with the VIKING’s Giant Earth 150 X 94 card is too risky considering that the Play the World 150X84 map is not accessible to me?

Indeed, I love to play on a map representing the whole planet...

Last edited:
Top Bottom