[1.0.10.15] Late game (turn 300+) instability on larger than vanilla maps

another giant game ongoing now, with much of the game mods enabled, and getting random crashes, seems all the randomness is overloading something. A reload solves it, somtimes also some turns differently played.

One Marathon on giant w/o prevention easily the unit limit can get reached.

I don't know, not a lot of reports one way or the other.

loaded multiple old giant saves, crash on load

started new giant map highlands no mods, still crash after some time

yet another new giant map with global warming threshold very high (so no rising sea), still crash after some time

same result with dx11 and dx12, lowest graphic setting, nvidia 3060 12GB

loaded multiple old giant saves, crash on load

started new giant map highlands no mods, still crash after some time

yet another new giant map with global warming threshold very high (so no rising sea), still crash after some time

same result with dx11 and dx12, lowest graphic setting, nvidia 3060 12GB

Oh that is a shame. :sad:

here are more reasons for crashes, please try whenn possible with a minimun of add-ons. I will soon test another giant map, that tiem w/o zombies.

latest patch made it even more instable, at least what i have seen with multiple tries to get a marathon game up. After 40-50 turns it gets unresponsive at truen end, with a relaod possible two - five more turns can be done until again it gets unresponsive.

We are now into september and the issue is still occuring. 128*80 isn't big enough for all 50 civs which is the only way i like to play and anything larger causes problems.

I'm almost 300 turns on YnAMP's huge Earth map with all 50 civs and multiple mods, most notably stuff like Historical Spawn Dates. I need 2 or 3 attempts now to load a save and get into the game, and I get random crashes every few turns. Turning off high quality geometry stopped the random crashes for now, but I feel like I'm getting close to the point of no return, even though I have coastal flooding off. I'll let you know when it becomes unplayable.

I'm on an i7-6700k with a GTX 980 (4GB VRAM) and 32GB of RAM. I expected to reach the point of no return way earlier honestly.

I would like to report some good news!

I have been able to play a super sized map recently.

It's the "TSL Old World (AEP)" map. 95x128
The largest of the maps in the United Nations Earth Pack (excluding the full map which is still unplayable at 198x199).

It did not crash at sea level rises. In fact I played 4 games on Apocalypse mode (mostly to exploit hyperyields). :mischief:

This is larger than the 80x128 size we thought was problematic at sea level rises, is that correct?

I play tested 4 games to completion.

Last edited:
140x74 (10,360 tiles) was the limit I used for 2:1 ratio, it's a bit larger than 120x80 (9,600)

I remember it was a bit larger previously (and unstable) so I reduced it, but it was still lower than 11,000 tiles IIRC, vs 12,600 for your map here.

There was definitively an amelioration after the March or April 2021 patch as I was finally able to pass the sea rising turn on the Giant Earth (180x94) for the first time (see previous page) but only by fully lowering the graphic settings on a pretty big PC (RTX3080+Ryzen 5600X)

As I had stopped developing YnAMP at this time, I didn't try the new limits for normal graphic settings, but I do remember people still reported crashes on the Giant Earth anyway.

I was finally able to pass the sea rising turn on the Giant Earth (180x94) for the first time (see previous page) but only by fully lowering the graphic settings on a pretty big PC (RTX3080+Ryzen 5600X).

I too have a new gaming rig in the last year (Ryzen 3500+RX5700) but not as sweet as your HUMANKIND rig you won at their Map Creation Contest. :goodjob:
Perhaps we are able to play larger maps because of more powerful hardware?

When I first developed the United Nations Earth map (over 5-6 years ago now I think!) I only had an entry level gaming machine.
Surprisingly though at that time, I was able to play these larger maps on my Alienware Alpha cos it was prior to the patches that made playing these larger maps prohibitive. IDK

230x116 was rock-stable for 500+ turns with 32 civs in late 2016 on both a 980ti + i7 4770K at high gfx details and a small GTX960 2Gb + core2 Q9550 with low gfx details, very impressive remembering how was civ5 at launch...

whatever optimization was done in 2017 (for multiplatform ?) had a terrible impact on large maps, and wasn't related to hardware at the time.

Last edited:
If you're OK with playing the Game without the Disasters from GS, then simply removing the Random Events Capability allows for stable Games on Maps bigger than 120x80. I tested it with a 144x90 Map and didn't encounter even a single crash durring the whole Game (from early till late Game), and I don't have a Gaming PC, just a regular Laptop that plays the Game on low-mid Settings.

It might be a big Caveat for some (especially since Civs like Egypt will be less unique and need a rework or vanilla/RnF abilities), but in case you want to try it out, I've already included the Option to disable Random Events in my Customization VI Mod.

If you're OK with playing the Game without the Disasters from GS, then simply removing the Random Events Capability allows for stable Games on Maps bigger than 120x80.
That throws a entirely new light on "Civ6 Overrandomization". :D

running lately some games again, and i run in issues game not progressing during AI turn, reloading and it progresses again until it stopps agan after turns or so, all in Marathon on at least large maps. Looks like a memory issue now to me, even with war on to decimate uinit numbers it has the same issue.

So when being ready for loading often a previous save, it is doable somehow - but does not give the best experience.

Last edited:
running lately some games again, and i run in issues game not progressing during AI turn, reloading and it progresses again until it stopps agan after turns or so, all in Marathon on at least löarge maps. Looks like a memory issue now to me, even with war on to decimate uinit numbers it has the same issue.

So when being ready for loading often a provious save, it is doable somehow - but does not give the best experience.

I have been play (testing) on Marathon for several games now on this map 95x128. Seems to be mostly perfect gameplay. Sea level rises are not a problem. Though mostly the games have ended early b'cos of Monopolies mode.
20220815211544_1.jpg

(Mostly exploiting Apocalypse mode just to check my maps balance post NFP)
20220810192358_1.jpg

20220731122806_1.jpg

thanks for confirming that. My ends as cultural victory, and the Ai cannot handle Marathon well, when the time is even more extended, and so the value of everything is different. Most fun i had with Zombies, as in a Marathon they overrun all.

Last edited:
managed something as Kleopatra, like a reproducable crah, some null pointer.

And all the time when i was the first time close to https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cabo+San+Lucas,+Baja+California+Sur

Not going there with ship will prolonge the game, and when going here it produces some graphic garbage, rendering even more instable until i restart.

Using the Greatest Earth Map, and Apocalypse mode deactivated.

I use some other mods, but these seem to be out of question for this issue.

Last edited:
managed something as Kleopatra, liek a reproducable crah, some null pointer.
And all the time when i was the first time close to https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cabo+San+Lucas,+Baja+California+Sur
Not going there with ship will prolonge the game, and when going here it produces some graphic garbage, rendering even more instable until i restart.
Using the Greatest Earth Map, and Apocalypse mode deactivated.
I use some other mods, but these seem to be out of question for this issue.
TBH this sounds like a possible bug with the Greatest Earth Map. Maybe post on the Steam Workshop page?

Just because one map doesn't work does not mean others larger than 120x80 don't work. 😏

Top Bottom