[1.0.10.15] Late game (turn 300+) instability on larger than vanilla maps

Finally here is the log folder and the .dmp from a crash happening when trying to load the "Largest Earth Map" (230x116) which was working fine until the Summer 2017 Update (1.0.0.167)
Spoiler Resource Monitor at the time of the crash :
Clipboard-3.jpg

Attachments

• CivilizationVI_DX12.exe.dmp.zip
    356.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Logs.zip
    11.1 MB · Views: 184
I will try today evening to reproduce the random crash. Any luck so far with the logs already provided? :)

Is there a guide for exactly what is needed to troubleshoot? Including locations of log files? I can provide saves etc.

any luck as yet? I think I'm getting the same crash so far that already has been shared in this thread.
Any ETA of any fix related to this from Fireaxis? :(

Is there a guide for exactly what is needed to troubleshoot? Including locations of log files? I can provide saves etc.
You can find the logs in the "..\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Logs" folder

The crash dump file (.dmp) is found in the "...\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam"

You need to zip the whole logs folder and the crash dump file (check that the time of that file is the time of the crash) and attach them to a post, you can't attach .log or .dmp files directly.

Ive been bumping into crashes around the same time (T250-300 and onwards). Reinstall and update drivers didnt help.
Reloading the game/save allowed for some turns more, but crashed again. Turning off high res geometry didnt fix it, but reverting back to DX11 did. No crashes eversince.

Ive been bumping into crashes around the same time (T250-300 and onwards). Reinstall and update drivers didnt help.
Reloading the game/save allowed for some turns more, but crashed again. Turning off high res geometry didnt fix it, but reverting back to DX11 did. No crashes eversince.
You're talking about Giant Earth correct? Also, did you finish the full game on Giant earth without any crash? Could you please give me full details? :)

Game crashes the turn after a city state emergency revealing the entire map. I clicked the box to report the crash to Firaxis. When I try to load the last autosave, the game crashes while loading.

Graphics are on the lowest possible setting and using DX11.

System specs:
AMD PhenomII 965 3.81ghz
Raedon R9 390 card 1040mhz/8192mb memory
32 GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit

I've included the last 2 autosave files.

If Firaxis can fix this problem, I'll immediately buy the latest DLC. If I've missed any needed info, let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Lua.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 150
  • AutoSave_0674.Civ6Save
    11 MB · Views: 143
  • AutoSave_0673.Civ6Save
    10.7 MB · Views: 178
  • Logs.zip
    77.3 KB · Views: 146
  • CivilizationVI.exe.zip
    36.6 KB · Views: 134
For me also reverting to DX11 helped against random crashes at turn 250+
brother, can you please let me know how did you revert to DX11? also, by doing that you finsihed giant earth without crash?

Something definitely weird has happened to the game. Now on giant, I'm on turn 133. No crash yet but with only 25 civs in total, the turn is taking average 60-80 seconds.
I've played before on giant before the thing got messed up, the game never took that long. I have top notch PC, one of the reasons I upgraded was for civ 6 only.
I think I'm getting slightly tired. Still hopeful but let's see :(

My game has crashed twice now on largest map size since the latest update, and never prior to that. Something rotten in the update, I fear.
How do I most usefully collect data for more meaningful feedback?

This bug has ruined Civilization 6 for me. I love the franchise, and I love playing the game with huge map sizes.

As exciting as new content for the game is, I don't care about it if I can't use it in large maps. These larger maps worked on older versions of Civ 6, so I don't see why Firaxis can't fix it. This issue has existed for years now...

If Firaxis fixed this issue, I'd immediately by the New Frontier Pass. As it stands right now, I am uninterested in any new content.

This bug has ruined Civilization 6 for me. I love the franchise, and I love playing the game with huge map sizes.

As exciting as new content for the game is, I don't care about it if I can't use it in large maps. These larger maps worked on older versions of Civ 6, so I don't see why Firaxis can't fix it. This issue has existed for years now...

If Firaxis fixed this issue, I'd immediately by the New Frontier Pass. As it stands right now, I am uninterested in any new content.
Likewise.

Also, something is different now. On giant earth, about when I discover almost all civs, the turn takes almost 140 - 180 seconds each. I was playing only with 2 city states and 20 civs on giant earth. Standard speed. The turns after about 90-100, the slowness started happening. Not sure what's going on with the game. I think I'll have to wait for civ 7 now.

I just finished a 496-turn GS playthrough (w/o New Frontier) on Giant Earth(Full Map) w/ 12 Civs and 24 City-States. I was initially crashing to desktop around turn 260 when trying to Load the Game with an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error, but I stumbled upon something which seems to have solved it: running "Load Database" under "Create Game" before trying to load the save. I don't know if this is something we were supposed to be doing the whole time, but seems to have fixed my issue.

Once I figured this out, I have managed to win the game w/ a Diplomatic Victory on turn 496. The inter-turn is still slow (there is definitely at least a minute of waiting), and loading the game takes 20-30 minutes by turn 450, but I was able to finish regardless. I disabled coastal lowland on game setup and did not start the Space Race, though I did reveal most of the map through regular exploration (IDK if this makes a difference), so these are not tested.

Another interesting note is that some models are really messed up post-260 (like some units have shields for heads), but this issue was only visual afaik. I believe that this may have been caused by one of the other mods I used being updated mid-playthrough (this could have also been why I crashed around turn 260, incidentally). The game seems to run fine otherwise.

I have no clue if any of this is helpful, but I just wanted to mention the "Load Database" thing in case it helps.

I just finished a 496-turn GS playthrough (w/o New Frontier) on Giant Earth(Full Map) w/ 12 Civs and 24 City-States. I was initially crashing to desktop around turn 260 when trying to Load the Game with an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION error, but I stumbled upon something which seems to have solved it: running "Load Database" under "Create Game" before trying to load the save. I don't know if this is something we were supposed to be doing the whole time, but seems to have fixed my issue.

Once I figured this out, I have managed to win the game w/ a Diplomatic Victory on turn 496. The inter-turn is still slow (there is definitely at least a minute of waiting), and loading the game takes 20-30 minutes by turn 450, but I was able to finish regardless. I disabled coastal lowland on game setup and did not start the Space Race, though I did reveal most of the map through regular exploration (IDK if this makes a difference), so these are not tested.

Another interesting note is that some models are really messed up post-260 (like some units have shields for heads), but this issue was only visual afaik. I believe that this may have been caused by one of the other mods I used being updated mid-playthrough (this could have also been why I crashed around turn 260, incidentally). The game seems to run fine otherwise.

I have no clue if any of this is helpful, but I just wanted to mention the "Load Database" thing in case it helps.

Thanks. I'll have to give this a try. Just not sure I want to get 200+ turns into a game to see if it will work though. Will report back.

What is this sorcery!?! :D
Now I've played over 600 turns with no crash. What gives, Firaxis??

I prefer to play on the large map so in every game I send a lot of crash reports.
I identified the reason for the crashes as memory overflow for 30-turn trades. The problem arose after the change in trade in strategic resources, which entailed a significant increase in the number of trade transactions.
To track the crash threshold, I record all transactions, since the list of transactions in the game does not fit on the screen.
I noticed that in a late game with 10 civilizations, the maximum number of my transactions is limited to a hundred. In an earlier game, you can have up to 150 trade transactions.

Is there any way to fast up the turn time? it take about 100-120 seconds each turn after i discovery say 8-10 civs out of 20 on giant earth

Top Bottom