1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1000 Bad Habits in Civ 3

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by axehaxe, Jul 9, 2008.

1. ronanp

ronanp Warlord

Have come up with loads of cute names for cities in one game of civ in an attempt to prevent my partner being pissed off at amount of time I had spent playing that weekend. It didn't really work, but was fun all the same

2. Civman33

Civman33 Gunship Pilot

184: Having a tank as a guard for you, only to find 100+ enemy spearmen.
    And unfortunatly, this happens. :spear: Then the spearman that killed the tank becomes king :bowdown::bowdown::king:.

3. Death_Machine

Death_Machine Slaytanic Warrior

That's a good habit, not a bad one!!!:lol:

4. hsy

hsy Chieftain

185: having workers in groups of 5 (i do that a LOT:blush:)

5. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Fine if you're non-industrious and making roads on jungles/mountains. (9/2=4.5, rounded up gives 5.) I can be very picky about mixing native and slave workers... bordering on obsessive... so I would be unlikely to be using a stack of 4 natives+1 slave!

6. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

^When I first started using slaves in large numbers, I even insisted on keeping the stacks the same nationality. :blush:

7. criminiminal

criminiminal Despotic Jingoist

^ i just started to use slaves more. i would previously let the few i had just wander around doing clean up...but now i've got them in stacks by nationality (i keep them away from their own border in case the ai gets any smart ideas :lol: )

8. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

Actually, that is a good point, Criminimal. If a country gets their own workers back, they can add them to cities or use them to improve at the regular rate. That may also explain the missing slave question. Sometimes, I can recapture stolen slaves the next turn, other times they just vanish. I always assumed they were just destroyed, but now I'm not so sure....

9. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

185a. Mixing workers and slaves together in stacks and still wasting worker turns because your math was wrong. That is, using 2 workers and 3 slaves to road a hill. The hill needs 6 WTs or 12 STs; this combination gives 6.5 ST of effort, which will still take 2 turns to complete. Three slaves here is one too many.

But note, in PBEM this is not true. You can overload your worker stacks and some units will finish early.

10. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

Props to the "one more turn and then..." variations, and the "know a.d.m values, but can't remember bosses name" habit. Way guilty. Also on re-loading because the AI did something crafty like.. oh, I dunno... land a galley with one spearman next to a fairly established city I forgot to fortify with even a warrior?

On to the list...

186. Moving a modern armor or calvalry on a two-turn move to a tile shrouded in FOW, just to have an enemy worker be along the path and the unit shunted onto a hill, mountain, or jungle terrain.

187. Moving stacks past enemy AI stacks in modern era, forgetting about the auto-bombard, and ending up with half a stack of 1hp damaged units :ar15::run:

187a. Moving a stack along a railroad multiple spaces, having the computer automatically pick a route that runs past a stack of enemy AI, when you could have manually moved them all in a way that doesn't go near that AI stack. Penalty: 1hp. :gripe:

187b. Moving a unit past a calvalry unit on a mountain whom you thought was your light blue American friends, just to find out that it was actually your kinda-light-blue Persian enemy, and ending up -- you guessed it -- down 1hp.

187c. Playing with the touchpad on my laptop, being hasty, having the cursor jump to the wrong tile when attacking, and moving my unit to the side of the one I wanted to attack, into a jungle tile, and getting hit with the auto-bombard for a 1hp loss.

188. Playing with a laptop touchpad.

189. Skipping COM356 - Intro to Marketing because taking over India is just THAT important

190. Taking your laptop to COM356... :cringe:

11. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

191. Reading this website while doing homework.

12. CIV D

CIV D Chieftain

192. Not fortifying units in your cites
    (Guilty in my first games):eek:

13. chrisman1

chrisman1 Chieftain

193. Fighting a long and fairly bloody war with a handful of knights and a whole bunch of war chariots before realizing war chariots can be upgraded to knights...and you also have enough gold to upgrade a bunch of them.

It was the turn after I made peace when I realized they were upgradeable :(

14. Loki130

Loki130 I remember when...

194. Building an army of tanks then attacking through mountains.
    195. Forgetting that carrier or transport next to your sub.
    196. Sending an armada to destroy your enemy then remembering he's next to your only source of oil.
    197. Charging into battle with knights just before you realize the enemy has tanks.
    198. Send ALL of your effective units in one direction.
    199. Fighting a 2-front (or 3- or 4-front) war because your bored, not noticing the enemy system of alliances.
    200. Running out of tanks but finding a whole bunch of left-over pikemen and knights and enacting 'Operation Drown the Enemy in Our Blood'.
    Yay, 200!

15. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

201. Landing your D-Day Invasion force on a plain tile when a mountain tile was right next to it.
    202. Trading an up to date resource to the country you plan on going to war with soon.

16. The Professor

The Professor Emperor

203. Going to war with a neighbor, without taking into account that they are between you and the Portugeuse, who are giving you a luxury, and who don't seem to have a single harbor. :wallbash:

17. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

204. Never have the game determine which Civ you will be.

18. anaxagoras

anaxagoras King

205. Never have the game determine which Civs your opponents will be.
    206. Only playing positions that have a "good start".

19. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

How's 204 bad? I haven't played a not-random game in ages.

20. darski

darski Regent in Training

207. Playing a bad start just because you got an SGL for quick Pyramids.:dubious: