1000 Bad Habits in Civ 3

Or just clicking the X in the corner to close the dialog about government, and stay in anarchy. But that's hopefully not a habit someone actually has. :crazyeye:

Sorry, double post, moderator feel free to delete. Thanks

Why are these considered bad habits?. . . .
41. Building a city on top of Cattle or Wheat
Because you lose the bonus.
42. Forgetting to build a road to all the resources to trade them
Because you can't trade them if they're not roaded.
43. Adding Infantry units to a cavalry army
Because your 4-move cav army becomes a 2-move army.
71. Trying to heal your army in that just captured town with a barracks next to the ai's capital to speed your attack.
Because of the flip risk.

GPT exploits (as I understand them) are consecutive deals where you give the AI a huge amount of GPT for a "breakable deal" followed by a trade where you give them a tech for that huge amount of GPT, which they can afford as you are giving them the same amount. You then break the first deal, so you get the AI's GPT but don't pay it out sending the AI into negative gold. Here's some quotes I found around the forums:

Emsworth Agreements
It is possible to make an AI pay much more gold per turn than he normally has available for something by
giving him gold per turn through a deal that includes a luxury or a military alliance
trading back that gold per turn for techs
break the luxury route or the alliance, either deliberately or through circumstances known to be about to happen.
This forces the AI to pay you gold per turn that he wouldn't have otherwise had, sometimes even forcing him into deficit spending.

Also:

I am Persia in the late MA. I trade dyes and 100 GPT to Germany for a military alliance vs. Russia, who has 1 city left.

I then trade astronomy to germany for 100 GPT.

I then destroy Russia.

Hope this helps.

Oh and to beat a dead horse: If you conquer a city with an army and leave the army there to heal, if the city flips due to culture, you lose your army (Done that! Once only though)

Molesworth post # 145 who asked what a GPT exploit was.
Sorry to be verbose.

Back on topic:
163. Fortify and forget units.

Back on topic:

This is why I like sentry. The AI will often wake a unit I had forgotten about.

This is why I like sentry. The AI will often wake a unit I had forgotten about.

Yes, yes - yes. Sentry is a tool that doesn't get enough praise.

Especially when you start to accumulate cities and units - sentry the ones that aren't doing anything and you'll be sure to make all the moves in a turn that you need to.

Just don't forget to browse the map to make sure you move the units on sentry that you need to.

Good one. I particularly have trouble with this in the early game when I have a curragh out exploring and it meets a barbarian ship. I will fortify if I can to get a defensive bonus (totally unrealistic, but I'll take it if it is there). Unfortunately, after the IBT, the ship doesn't come back into the rotation and it is way outside the main theater of action, so I forget it.

I need to get some practice using the sentry option, instead. My habits were formed before the sentry option existed.

164.) Always playing a scenario and never playing the epic game. While not exactly a BAD habit, you're missing out on an important part of the game, so I think it qualifies.

164a.) This I'm sure only applies to me. When I first got the game, I always played the ancient mediterranian Scenario. In that scenario, in order to build ANY boats, you need the wood resource. I ALWAYS rolled starts until I found one where I and I alone had wood, making it impossible to lose.

165. trusting an ally will stay at war w/ an enemy civ for the duration of your agreement.

166. not building roads/rails to your neighbors front doors

167. clicking on the spacebar too quickly & wasting ANOTHER worker turn (i do this all the time)

168. ...trying to manage 10 or more cities after a 4:20 break...lol :D

169. saying "i'll pee after i get these units over there..."

165. trusting an ally will stay at war w/ an enemy civ for the duration of your agreement.

"

170. Trusting that a Civ will bail on the MA so that you can get out of that war.

:lol::crazyeye::lol:

Top Bottom