12 hour vs. 24 hour time

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

stfoskey12

Emperor of Foskania
Which do you prefer? I keep all my devices I can on 24 hour time, but when I speak I use 12 hour time, so I don't confuse people. I think it would be simpler if we all used 24 hour time and no longer had to worry about a.m. and p.m., but considering how hard it is for the U.S. to switch to metric, I don't see it happening. I will say that in meteorology time is nice and simple with everything in UTC.

Same for me, military (24h) time for all of my devices, 12 hour time when talking to people..."See you at 18:00 hours doesn't sound good"...

Was in the United States army for four years, the only thing i took from it was 24 hour time just makes more sense.

I grew up with 12-hour clocks. I had to get used to 24-hour clocks in college, as the schedules were made out that way. It never made a lot of sense, since nobody is going to schedule a class for 2 am. The only confusion that could have happened was with the early classes that started at 8 am and the late evening classes that let out at 10 pm.

There's 24 hours in a day, so of course one uses 24-hour time.

"I'll be there at nineteen" works perfectly fine and is quite natural.

I work at a company spread across several timezones and all my infrastructure logging is in UTC, so 24hr clock works better for me.

Voted don't care. I used 24 hours time my entire time in the military. It's certainly easier especially as we adjusted time zones traveling East and West to the Persian gulf and back. But I use 12 hour time now since that's how my employer does it. It really doesn't matter to me. 12 hour time isn't exactly rocket science, and neither is the Standard system of measurements.

I use the Thai six-hour clock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-hour_clock

Interesting system. Do you really use it in your everyday life or just found a different system and wanted to throw a spanner into the works? :)

BTW, I love 24 hour time. I got used to it in the US Army. I find it superior and set all my personal clocks and computers to it but I translate the time back to 12 hour if others ask me for the time.

Last edited:
My employer uses 12-hour time, but occasionally people schedule meetings for 2 AM instead of 2 PM by mistake.

I don't attend the 2 AM meetings, and no one ever gets upset about it, so it works out all around.

?? The reason the military uses it is because it's the least ambiguous way to count hours.
As I said, let the military keep it. If they prefer it, great. I'm aware that the military doesn't operate on a 9-5 workday. But I'm not in the military. The most I ever have to do with anything military is the annual Remembrance Day ceremonies and when I play Civilization. Neither of those require a 24-hour clock.

snide pop culture image
:rolleyes:

Why is it so hard to understand that non-military people are not necessarily enamored of military time-telling?

Top Bottom