15%

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ziggy Stardust, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

My dad got rushed to the hospital on Monday-morning. The artery in his belly, just after it splits to both legs was swollen and it ruptured. When this happens at that location, and not being in a hospital at the time, the patient has about a 15% survival rate. Now here comes the factors that made my dad survive this. Excuse the lack of medical terminology, even in Dutch I'm crap at that.

One of the thin membranes in the stomach stopped the bloodflow and provided counter pressure, but this was not going to hold for a long time. He was scheduled for pre-emptive operation 1 hour after when the artery ruptured. So the paramedics in the ambulance and in the emergency department knew exactly what the problem was when he was brought in. Because he was scheduled for this operation he was warned that whenever he started to feel nauseous, he shouldn't hesitate and dial 112 (911) which he otherwise would never have done. Even so, if this rupture would have happened 15 minutes later, he would have been in the car on the way to the hospital.

The operation went as well as it could be, and took 1 and a half hours because there were no complications. Two days later, he's out of bed, joking around and inquiring the doctors when he can go home again.

But it all started with 15%. Throw of the dice. When contemplating this, and being in Intensive Care around less fortunate patients and seeing the grief their loved ones are going trough, I realise we could so easily have been them. It made me feel guilty towards those people when we just had the news the operation was a success. Happy, but guilty. Which I realise is irrational, and I wouldn't trade places for anything in the world.

Been an exhausting 2 days. Left me with a lot to think about. I can't get that 15% out of my head.

2. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Glad to hear everything turned out OK. But I have to wonder about a medical system that schedules such extremely critical surgery, instead of rushing him in immediately as soon as the condition is discovered.

3. illram

illram Deity Retired Moderator

Wow. Glad your dad is OK. Give your dad a big CFC hug from all of us. But not too hard... ;)

4. Ziggy Stardust

The artery was not in that state when he was examined. It was swollen up, but not by the 8 cm's when it ruptured.

Thanks Illram. I'll give him a hug from each of you separately. If that doesn't freak him out ...

"Uhm ... nurse!"

5. Antilogic

Antilogic --

That sounds like a tough couple of days. Glad to hear everything is all right now.

6. Daird

Daird Warlord

Your dad must be a tough guy. Good thing he's okay.

7. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

That's great news Ziggy, glad he made it through the long odds. Btw its now 15.01 :)

Know what you mean about the other folks. Was in a hospital once when on the other side of the curtain a doctor was telling an old guy that there was nothing they could do. After the doc left it was quiet over there and after a long while when the food came I told the guy I was sorry for his news. He said that no, it was okay, he had lived long enough. Nobody was there with him when he got the news from the doc. At least the folks you saw were there to support their loved ones.

8. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I'm glad your father got through that. Certainly a terrible scare.

9. Core Imposter

Core Imposter Deity

Glad for your Dad, and you too.

10. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Woah. Best wishes.

11. IAM

IAM Emperor

good news. fortunate not just to have a pre diagnosis but to be living in this time. throughout most of human history it would have been a 0% chance.

12. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

Good to hear he evaded the ol' Grim Reaper there. Best wishes to your father and you. :)

13. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Glad to hear he was within the 15%. Aortic aneurysms are a pretty grave matter. You should get yourself checked for said risk, just in case.

14. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Is your dad out of the woods yet?

15. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

This puts all our arguments in a different perspective. I am glad he survived and has a good prognosis. Good luck on the recovery.

J

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Better call Kenny Loggins cause your dad just brushed the danger zone and survived. Grats! And I hope you have a long, long time before the next health scare in your family. :)

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Can't imagine how I would be feeling if this was my dad.. Not sure what to say either. Glad your dad made it through man

18. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Best wishes.

19. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

whew

do they know what caused the problem?

20. Ziggy Stardust

Thanks for the support everyone :)

Even though I've told the story numerous times to family & friends, writing it down helped me put all that's happened in it's place.

Yep, I was told that as well.
    He sure is :) He's doing well beyond expectations seeing there could have been a number of common complications.