1UPT - final verdict?

One unit per tile (1UPT) or multiple units per tile (MUPT)?

• I started out with 1UPT (e.g. CIV5) and prefer 1UPT

Votes: 44 10.0%
  • I started out with 1UPT (e.g. CIV5) and prefer MUPT

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • I stated out with MUPT (e.g. SMAC) and prefer 1UPT

Votes: 244 55.2%
  • I stated out with MUPT (e.g. SMAC) and prefer MUPT

Votes: 148 33.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Combining a limited number of units into armies and then auto-resolving sounds a lot like the "Total War" games on the strategy map. In Medival 2: Total War, for example, armies are limited to 20 units. Each army occupies one tile, but can fight on a battlefield with or against the surrounding 8 tiles. Although a major point of the TW games is the RTS combats, you can auto-resolve battles and just play the game at the strategic campaign level.

However, a limited stack creates questions. Will most armies be full stacks, or less? How should full stacks of weaker units fare against half stacks of stronger? Does "quantity have a quality all its own"? What is an ideal stack composition?

In the experience of modders to Medieval 2 and Rome, you have lots of additional problems that require extensive AI cheats and scripts. AIs wont create balanced stacks, or AIs wont create large enough stacks, or AI will put all its units into one large stack and neglect to defend other important cities or locations.

Some of these are familiar from CivIV, but some are the result of prohibiting an unlimited stack. If most combat ends up with full stacks from both AI and human, then stack composition ends up being far more important. And, just like 1UPT, you start to introduce the positional and logistical problems that humans are much better at solving.

Locusts are pretty weak compared to other flying units. They can only attack one time per turn (compared to choppers), they can't have any special abilities (unlike other gravships, which also have the choice of weapons and armor, including psi), and IIRC they psi-attack at a 1:1 ratio (unlike ground units which psi-attack at 3:2 ratio), so they only have a chance against a base without any anti-air defense.
And IIRC they also are a lot more expensive.

But of course the main issue is that they are rather a late-game unit, and since choppers are so overpowered, locusts and other gravships are about as relevant to the game as a easter egg unit enabled by a cheat code.

None of this however is really relevant if you consider the MUPT aspects of Alpha Centauri in the pre-Chopper game stage.
I never realised Choppers were so useful, but the point about artillery being an effective counter to MUTP still isn't a thing. If anything it just incentivises both fast-teching to approach counters (or Choppers, according to you) or maximising tile coverage with military units to minimise damage dealt per tile (from artillery).

Each implementation has upsides and downsides. However, stack bleeding isn't the ultimate "hey guys we've fixed MUTP" that you claim it to be. Not in my experience with SMAC anyhow, especially considering you're reliant on artillery to weaken stacks, but any amount of an offensive stack left can absolutely dominate the artillery stacks in return.

But in SMAX you are NOT reliant on artillery only to weaken stacks, you can just rely on collateral damage upon death by attacking them with high attack units (missiles can work well for that), and if they're really well positioned on a high defense tile, you can self-detonate units nearby instead of attacking.

And that's the brilliance in SMAX in the delicate balance between the 1-stack army extremely vulnerable to collateral damage and being ZOC-blocked, and the 1/2 units-stack carpet vulnerable to repeated attacks (2 because it's usually more effective to have high attack & low defense units combined with low attack & high defense units than a single expensive unit good at both) and to probe team subversion (with the additional threat then of retro-engineering).

It's like people aren't reading previous comments. I understand that this thread is 437 comments long now, but why then are you participating in it?

When I say that I dislike 1UPT because it makes combat boring, I'm not talking about HoMM/SotS, nor even I'm talking about Civ 5 vs Civ 4 (as you can see from the comments here, which of those is more "tactical" is pretty debatable).

I'm talking about Civ:BE vs Alpha Centauri. For your convenience here's my first comment on this thread about that :
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13542735#post13542735

I think Roxlimn is on something here. It would seem that the issue with 1UPT (as done in Civ5 and Civ:BE) is that it makes logistics non-optional, which tends to increase micromanagement tedium, without necessarily increasing the amount of interesting choices during combat.

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the definition of 'tactics'... for goodness' sake, using artillery to inflict damage on every unit in a stack is not remotely tactical, using individual artillery to attack individual units however, is very tactical.

In V you can either use your ranged support to focus-fire an individual unit to break a line and send your armour through the gap into the rear and wreak havoc on their rangers, or you can spread the love and nibble away at their whole army over several turns and force them to rout; your firepower is increased by your efficiency at traffic-control, and maybe your willingness to risk losing that unit by exposing him to counter-fire/attack, that unit doesn't get the protective blanket of the stack and guaranteed to take minimal losses from long-range fire, sometimes you have to take risks and maybe lose that unit if you stick your neck out - that's real-life tactics there, what looks like a mild loss for a division can often be an entire unit wiped out, maybe an important component of the whole, the artillery, AA support (err, maybe for BNW) - perhaps it is but 2% losses, but it can leave them critically disadvantaged. Look at the choices, and hard decisions, none of which you'll encounter at all in AC.

Tactics, micro-management, same darn thing. Yes, part of tactical command is playing traffic controller, units can and do get in each other's way all the time in reality - marching-order, formations, difficulties with terrain, that is tactics. One of the most popular and well-respected tactical sims on the PC, Combat Mission, will have you moving around teams and individual soldiers for best effect, carefully positioning this sniper or that MG for the best field-of-fire, co-ordinating squad-sized assaults on individual MG nests with artillery support that you can order each individual gun or mortar to fire a unique pattern or concentration, you'll track every round fired, and send a guy off to a truck/Jeep if available to fetch more ammo when needed. That's tactics, the more micro-management a game has, the more tactical the game becomes.

Nobody is forcing you to like it, that's ok - some people like to play strategic/operational level wargames exclusively and would probably despise having to keep track of this or that mortar team's ammunition, I won't hold it against you.

On your part it's incredibly condescending to accuse people who like 1UPT of being 'casuals' who like to feel like 'armchair generals' because they were beguiled by V's flashy micro-management and failed to see the subtlety and so-called 'tactical' superiority of AC and IV... and ironic, given your own apparently foggy understanding of the military terms you're employing. And this is not to mention the lineage of V's combat system, which is derived from a long line of tabletop tactical games that have been aped by other games like Panzer General/Steel Panthers and Famicom/Advance Wars (lotta fans to win over there, relatively, for the genre) - Firaxis wasn't really being that adventurous, more like trying something very obvious with a system that was getting stale as week-old chips.

Just be magnanimous, some people like a game you don't, that doesn't make them oblivious or less intelligent than you somehow.

What's the point of insisting again (1) on the fact that I didn't use the wargame convention of tactics/operations/strategy that Antilogic already pointed out?
And you don't seem to understand what tactics are either, considering Antilogic says there are not tactics in Civ games, only operations. (Or maybe he's wrong?)

Look at the choices, and hard decisions, none of which you'll encounter at all in AC.
Who says that you don't? Your examples don't seem to include more interesting choices (IMHO even less) than this :
http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?48-Vel-s-SMAX-Guide&p=717&viewfull=1#post717

Again (2), I'm not sure why the focus on artillery, that's only a small part of SMAX arsenal, and certainly not the only or even best way to deal with stacks that are too big. (It only gets useful IMHO when dealing with lots of units stacked in a base (or in rare situations when you see one - a bunker, I don't remember if self-destruct can affect that)).

Again (3), I'm still waiting for someone that is experienced with both SMAC/X and Civ:BE (ok, or Civ5, since they're pretty similar) to present any compelling argument why combat in Civ:BE is more tactical operational than in SMAC/X.

Again (4), one issue with Civ5/BE is that the scale is too small (especially in BE with the additional chokepoints coming from canyons). From what I've seen in my brief contact with wargames (and what other people in this thread said) it's that (1UPT) wargames tend generally have MUCH bigger maps than Civ5/BE. Therefore more units => more choices => less boring combat (of course that's far from being the only difference, wargames tend to have many more, and more complex systems like logistics).

On your part it's incredibly condescending
And that's why I used the turn of the phrase "This might seem somewhat arrogant, but I get the impression"

the more micro-management a game has, the more tactical the game becomes
This is a ridiculous statement, micro-management is interesting only if those choices matter. See Sword of the Stars 2 as an example (though, admittedly, it has a worse issue of no effective tools to realize the choices that are interesting). Or what happens when in a long Civ game you end with 50+ cities. Or Civ:BE's building "quests".

Er. A lot of the CivBE quests actually have choices that matter.

Sure, maybe not the best of examples, but there's a reason there's this thread :
Why quests are bad
P.S.: While the fact that their effects are generally small is probably in itself isn't such an issue (after all, reordering worker production has a tiny effect too), the fact that the quest happens randomly (and not under your direct control like reordering workers) is probably the issue. While a sudden big threat or boost is interesting, a random tiny bonus popping up as a quest choice feels more like an annoying Facebook Bubble Witch Saga notification.

Ok, that's probably derailing the discussion.

And you don't seem to understand what tactics are either, considering Antilogic says there are not tactics in Civ games, only operations. (Or maybe he's wrong?)

Yup, he's wrong. At least about V - it represents every level of warfare, this is a very notable achievement, and a key reason why it's the most popular and played Civ, ever.

You have your strategy - let's say you want some resource you don't have, so you form a strategy: 'that civ has the oil I want, so I shall capture their city and steal it'.

You have your operations - this is the manner by which you'll capture their city: 'I see they have access to the coast, so I will send a fleet of x/y ships/carriers, and their city is n strength, so I will need at least x rangers to bring it low, and y melees to protect them, and probably a tank to swoop in and cap the city. You want interesting choices? In V there tends to be a strict limit to the units you utilize in any given scenario - in IV/AC it is always 'the more the merrier', in V/BE you need to decide what you need and what you don't, you'll have to make a trade-off when you take that artillery, you can't have it and infantry on the same tile, so you need to decide which one you need more - there's a degree of balance to be achieved, these are both interesting and meaningful choices - that artillery might well reduce the city quicker, but you could be left without the melee units to cap it.

And then you have your tactics - this is what happens when your strikeforce arrives at the target, you may have been thorough in your prep, but there's still work to do, you need to think about positioning: 'where can my rangers/artillery find a vantage to bombard the city? There are forests on the south side, so I'll have to approach from the north where there are hills I can use as a vantage, and since I don't want to let the city whittle my force down one-by-one I first encircle it so I can move all my units into the attack at the same time. You'll need to defeat any defenders, and may spend a number of turns shuffling your guys around out of range of defensive fire to rest them and bring in fresh reserves to continue the attack before the defenders can heal-up; you'll have to think carefully about how you attack - you may have a defender you want to kill, but you don't want to end-up in that tile because it's within range of the city, but you don't have enough ranged units to destroy it, so you soften it up first with a melee unit and finish it off with tacjets - or it might go the other way, you want your melee unit in that space so first you injure that defender severely and then finish him off with a melee and occupy the tile.

In MUPT that last paragraph really just doesn't come into play - you decide your strategy, make your army and send it off to war, then you roll a bunch of dice and it's all over bar the weeping.

Again (2), I'm not sure why the focus on artillery, that's only a small part of SMAX arsenal, and certainly not the only or even best way to deal with stacks that are too big. (It only gets useful IMHO when dealing with lots of units stacked in a base (or in rare situations when you see one - a bunker, I don't remember if self-destruct can affect that)).

It's just an example of the very substantial difference between combat systems, one that illustrates the more sophisticated choices on display in the 1UPT system.

Again (3), I'm still waiting for someone that is experienced with both SMAC/X and Civ:BE (ok, or Civ5, since they're pretty similar) to present any compelling argument why combat in Civ:BE is more tactical operational than in SMAC/X.

I think you're just not trying to hear it. I think it would be nice to be able to defend the 1UPT games as progressive and praiseworthy without being forced to dump on beloved classics... it's really not about "more this" and "better that", it's a case of "it is" or "it is not" - that MUPT games are less tactically-focused is not a bad thing that renders them irrelevant, it just is.

Again (4), one issue with Civ5/BE is that the scale is too small (especially in BE with the additional chokepoints coming from canyons). From what I've seen in my brief contact with wargames (and what other people in this thread said) it's that (1UPT) wargames tend generally have MUCH bigger maps than Civ5/BE. Therefore more units => more choices => less boring combat (of course that's far from being the only difference, wargames tend to have many more, and more complex systems like logistics).

Has anybody done an actual analysis of the supposed difference between Civ maps/space and other wargames? I ain't seeing it, not relatively to the games I highlighted as direct forebears of the 1UPT Civ games - Panzer General, Advance Wars, etc. So leaving aside the fact that Civ is not strictly a wargame, and that the majority of wargames are not nearly as dynamic or long-lasting as a Civ game, this 'less space' thing is dramatically overstated - I invite you to go watch a video of a Panzer General scenario, many will take place on maps considerably smaller than the average Civ map, with just as much cramping and funneling... 'chokepoints'. Sometimes in wargames you get a German invasion of the Caucasus with wide-open spaces and very few units, and others you get a US assault on some Pacific island with cramped space and too many units. It is what it is, there's no rule in Civ that every battle takes place in some ridiculous funnel - and it's dishonest to paint it as such; but when it does, that doesn't make anything less interesting, think of it as a test of your operational and tactical decision-making. Some days you gotta say "hang it" and accept that it's just a Bridge Too Far - I bet the men asked to assault Monte Cassino in WWII were a bit frustrated by those sneaky Germans and their 'chokepoint' too.

This is a ridiculous statement, micro-management is interesting only if those choices matter. See Sword of the Stars 2 as an example (though, admittedly, it has a worse issue of no effective tools to realize the choices that are interesting). Or what happens when in a long Civ game you end with 50+ cities. Or Civ:BE's building "quests".

Don't tell me this is just another "I played 'massive' with 15 civs and found it tedious" whinge? Couldn't even fit 50 total cities on my maps.

I mean, I totally agree with you about micro-management, I hate being made to make redundant choices and indulge in meaningless busywork - I just don't think that applies here - micro-managing your individual units in a battle is not meaningless, these choices matter, positioning, march route/order, mutual support, choosing to fire or move, to sacrifice a unit or save it; not only are the tactical choices consequential, but they don't exist in previous Civ titles. And that's why 1UPT tactics > MUPT tactics.

I missed the poll. I started with multiple and I cannot overstate how much I prefer one unit per tile. It is likely I would have discontinued with the Civ series if they had not made that change. The tactical limitations were just too significant before. Stacks are best utilized in grand strategy games such as Europa, not games like Civ.

So why not just do 3upt but with the same total number of units as currently under 1upt? Yes, technically, it would be mupt but you would not have stacks of dooms and a lot of the tactics and positioning of 1upt would be still there. Players would have multiples mini-stacks instead of one large stack. More importantly, 3upt would reduce the chances of units blocking each other which would make pathfinding much easier for the AI and reduce the micro for the human player. It would be an easy middle ground between civ5 1upt and civ4 mupt. Sure, 3upt would be an arbitrary limit but so is 1upt.

Armies in Civ3, and Fleets in GalCiv2 suggest that that's not what's going to happen. With room for more troops on the frontlines, it would actually increase not decrease the micro for the human player. With more units shuffling around and unit maxes still being felt, there will still be gridlocks and units getting in each other's way - only in 3 unit-stack combinations instead of 1. I can't even imagine the nightmare that would look like.

The increased complexity would probably stump the AI even more and make it even stupider than it already is. In general, more complex scenarios are worse for AI.

CivBE is already a middle ground of sorts, and the AI is already demonstrably poor at managing all the layers effectively.

Armies in Civ3, and Fleets in GalCiv2 suggest that that's not what's going to happen. With room for more troops on the frontlines, it would actually increase not decrease the micro for the human player. With more units shuffling around and unit maxes still being felt, there will still be gridlocks and units getting in each other's way - only in 3 unit-stack combinations instead of 1. I can't even imagine the nightmare that would look like.

Not if you keep the total number of units the same as before with some sort of support cost. If the total number of units stays the same then gridlock would go down. Let's say you have the same map and 10 units. With 1upt, each of those 10 units have to occupy separate hexes so you have a carpet of 10 units that create traffic congestion. 10 hexes are occupied by units. With 3upt, same map, and same 10 units, you can have 3 stacks of 3 and one units alone so you have much less congestion since only 4 tiles are occupied by units instead of 10.

Less congestion would make it easier for the AI since it could more readily move a unit without worrying that the path is blocked. Currently, the biggest problem with the AI and 1upt is pathfinding. The AI wants to move a unit from A to B but it can't because the path is blocked so the unit takes a weird detour. You see this happen all the time when the human tries to move a unit. How many times does the human try to move a unit a simple 3 hexes but the game sends the unit on a 30 hex walk about in the wrong direction because the path was blocked even though by the time the unit were to get to the blockage, the path would be free?

If I could fit 3 units onto a tile in Civ 5, I'd have invasion armies 3 times as large. The unit supply limit seems generous enough.

If I could fit 3 units onto a tile in Civ 5, I'd have invasion armies 3 times as large. The unit supply limit seems generous enough.

Then lower the unit supply limit! I am just saying that if you set the unit support limit right based on the size of the map such that the total number of units are roughly the same as before, then 3upt will reduce unit congestion. The idea is to increase the limit per tile to 3upt while at the same time not increasing the total number of units.

Another solution would be to increase map sizes and increase the minimum settling distance. This would give more room between cities to maneuver about the battlefield. It would also lead to more "field battles" and less "city sieges," which sounds more compelling to me. Armies in a line squaring off with melee on the frontline, ranged and siege behind them, and mobile protecting the flanks. That sounds like a lot of fun for Civ 5, not sure how sci-fi it is for BE.

Edit: Also, with larger maps, there could be larger expanses (clumps) of flatlands, hills, forests, etc. instead of individual tiles interspersed everywhere.

Another solution would be to increase map sizes and increase the minimum settling distance. This would give more room between cities to maneuver about the battlefield. It would also lead to more "field battles" and less "city sieges," which sounds more compelling to me. Armies in a line squaring off with melee on the frontline, ranged and siege behind them, and mobile protecting the flanks. That sounds like a lot of fun for Civ 5, not sure how sci-fi it is for BE.

Edit: Also, with larger maps, there could be larger expanses (clumps) of flatlands, hills, forests, etc. instead of individual tiles interspersed everywhere.

I too would like to see more "field battles" instead of the current system which seems to always be "city sieges" every time. I think one way to do this would be to cause city tiles to automatically get pillaged when an enemy unit stands on it. This would give the defender a very clear incentive to move battles away from cities.

And how does a defender move a battle away from a city without sacrificing his city? This means a defender would have to pre-empt the attacker . . . which is literally the opposite of what "defending" means.

Create a front line of units that the enemy would have to get through to get to the city?

Lines are meant to be broken. This isn't the First World War, you can't expect to force players to adopt a single strategy that might work?

Cities are the driving force of the game. You fight to take, or to protect them. You do that in any way you see fit.

Top Bottom