1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

1upt No So Cool

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by katipo, Oct 26, 2010.

1. katipo

katipo Chieftain

One of the big changes in Civ 5 is dumping of unit stacking which has been around since Civ 3 and replacing with so-called one unit per tile.

I only every used stacking to quick move groups of units from one place to another instead of having to move them one at a time. However what disappoints me about the change is that you can no longer park multiple units on a single game tile (unless you tweak one of the xml files) and you can't garrison more than one unit in a city.

Both thse things have been a fundamental aspect of the game since Civ 1 and removing them is totally rediculous. Now instead of being able to keep you units in easily managed groups you have to have them spread out all over the place in an absolute clutter.

Surely it is not too much to ask that this be changed in the next patch. The functionality is obviously still there, so giving us access is only a relatively simple tweak. I am not suggesting that 1upt be dumped altogether, but rather I am asking that what we had in civ 1-4 be returned as an option in the game setup screen.

2. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

It was a deliberate design choice. I'm not sure why they would change it in a patch.

They didn't accidentally or randomly decide to implement 1upt. It's pretty clearly something they designed a lot for.

And quite frankly, I love it. I loathed having a 'wars' that were only about having a ridiculous stack of units sliding around the map and demolishing whatever they approached.

3. aMoralAtheist

aMoralAtheist Chieftain

Research before you buy. This 1upt was a major selling point. It is NOT going away in civ5.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

While there is a lot i'm disappointed about, 1UPT is not the issue. In fact, it is a cool new design change. The developers are not going to patch a major feature of the new game engine.

There is a mod out that will allow stacking if that is what you want.

5. testdummy653

testdummy653 Prince

Not to be mean...

Did you just recently buy the game?

6. GenericPlayer

GenericPlayer Warlord

While I generally like 1upt and the new combat system, it still annoys me for the following reasons

1. Can't group civilian and military units - say spearman-general, or warrior-settler
    2. Other civs that have open borders agreement with you can squat on a piece of your land and prevent you access to it (say to build a road or mine). No way to cancel open borders except going to war
    3. Embarked units and Naval units can't share the same tile.

7. Thor Macklin

Thor Macklin Warlord

Besides the issues GenericPlayer mentioned, there are no
    issues with it.

For me it gives me a chance to flex my strategic muscle, no more
    of this 'Stack of Doom' strategy, instead, I have to actually consider
    what to do with each of my units, which is something I happen to
    be very skillful with when it comes to warfare in the game.

8. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

I think it's one of the best decisions they've ever made with the Civ series. And it's so core to the game that there's no way that they'll just patch it out.
    If you really want multiple units per hex, Kael has made a mod that lets you do just that, it's in the mod forum.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if multiple (or at least two) non-combat units were able to share a hex. It would streamline worker movements quite nicely and I can't really see any particularly big tactical change it would make (assuming it still only allowed one worker to improve any given tile).

9. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

You can group civilian and military units. As for the embarked units thing, I guess it makes sense. The AI doesn't cheat the FoW as far as I can tell so you can probably sneak an invasion force or better yet, clear the seas first.

10. Ceedub

Ceedub Chieftain

I like for it military, but it really annoys me with civilian units.

11. Sonereal

True that. I usually pump out workers in bursts when I need a lot of work done fast but micromanaging them all not to be in the way of Great Generals is too much of a hassle. So I end up disbanding 90% of the workers I build now.

12. katipo

katipo Chieftain

I am not saying there is anything wrong with it. My point is that we should have been given the option of being able to park multiple units on tiles and in cities. It not about patching a major feature it is clearly a simple adjustment to add this option.

Where can I get hold of the stacking mod?

13. Sonereal

The easiest way to do it is to go to the ModBrowser in-game and look up Legions. It was one of the first two mods released for the game.

14. Rohili

Rohili King

1UPT is fundamental to Civ V, and providing an option to turn it off would be akin to providing an option to turning off culture and SPs altogether. Since the game has been designed around this core concept, playing without it will be quite unbalancing.

15. eviltypeguy

eviltypeguy Warlord

Indeed, one unit per tile is a core concept in Civilization V that I believe many users are enjoying.

I've played since Civilization I, and this is the first time I've bothered with military conquests because it's actually sort of fun.

16. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Warlord

I like one unit per tile, BUT

One thing they really dropped the ball on is...there should be some way (maybe just hitting a button?) to see where all your units are heading, the path they are taking, and the turns it will take them to get there.

Moving ten units across a large continent without that info can be a tedious task.

17. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

I really agree on this. It would be so helpful to have a route display or something.

Also, someone above said you can't put Spearmen+General, or Warrior + Worker on the same tile, and uh... that's just wrong, because you can!

18. dmieluk

dmieluk Chieftain

I'm pretty sure that person meant 'group', not 'stack'. You can stack them, you cant group them. I don't think this feature is that important in this game, but it is the kind of thing you'd expect to be possible in a polished game. Just double click a tile with a warrior and a settler, then they'd move in tandem until you double clicked them again. Occasionally it would be nice.

19. Guru-Meditation

Guru-Meditation Chieftain

I like 1UPT. Its just different from Civ IV.

Definitely not one of the myriad of things i´d complain about in Civ V.

20. Jolly Rogerer

Jolly Rogerer Prince

It's the worst combat / movement system in the Civ series. Aside from making the game even more unrealistic, it is also responsible for a large part of the brain dead AI and the end of turn slowness as the game works overtime on simple path finding. Stupid on a lot of levels.