2 UU/UB per civ, "unique abilities"

Greg, would it do any harm to confirm if this list is complete, or if every civ will have 2 UUs and a UB in the end?

I wouldn't feel like a civ is complete without a UB, especially since I'm not big into war and very, very rarely make good use of UUs. Also, I would find it odd for the Aztecs (also Songhai), who will obviously be aggressive, to have only 1 UU. Maybe it's a sign that the Aztecs will be hilariously inept again?

Greg, would it do any harm to confirm if this list is complete, or if every civ will have 2 UUs and a UB in the end?

I wouldn't feel like a civ is complete without a UB, especially since I'm not big into war and very, very rarely make good use of UUs. Also, I would find it odd for the Aztecs (also Songhai), who will obviously be aggressive, to have only 1 UU. Maybe it's a sign that the Aztecs will be hilariously inept again?

I don't think any more confirmation is needed. They wouldn't put it on the official website if it wasn't finished and accurate.

^Says who? Releasing bits of info at a time is the game they've been playing so far. That's why I'm asking for an official word and not more speculation. Anyone with a guess or opinion isn't being helpful.

This could be an approximation, or typo.

Suppose its a unique terrain improvement. It wouldn't really fit well into the "unique unit" or the "unique building" category.

Alternatively, it could be a unit that is built by workers but it immobile.

I can't imagine how a Fort would be a unit buildable in cities. It would either have to move (a moving fort??) or be stuck in the city (in which case it would make more sense as a building.

It could be a unit which can build a little fort around itself to gain a greater defensive bonus. A bit like the Romans did when in dangerous territory.

I don't think any more confirmation is needed. They wouldn't put it on the official website if it wasn't finished and accurate.

They put in blurps from the civilopedia and leader videos that weren' exactly finished though :mischief:

About the UU/UB thing, it is true information is often released in drips, however it is normally clear where you don't know something. It would be very odd for them to release a list of UU/UB that looks definitive and then suddenly say "oh wait a minute we forgot these, actually every Civ does have at least one UU and at least one UB".

It's funny because I have seen people claim that having 2 UUs is overpowered, and different people claiming that 1 UU and 1 UB is overpowered. So I'd say that's actually a pretty good indication that it's balanced.

It's funny because I have seen people claim that having 2 UUs is overpowered, and different people claiming that 1 UU and 1 UB is overpowered. So I'd say that's actually a pretty good indication that it's balanced.

Oh, I'm sure it's balanced overall. My problem is just that because of my style of playing, playing as the 2 UU civs would give me a disadvantage. I suppose my methods also made some civs more or less attractive in IV as well (particularly the Spanish-- their unique building was always obsolete or close to it by the time I researched that tech), but the penalty seems a bit stiffer this time around. A good half of the civs would work contrary to my style. I don't like to stick to a few key civs, I like to mix it up as much as possible. Eh, probably not that big of a deal though, I'm sure in the end I'll still end up playing with the 2UU civs almost as often, even if I'm missing out on some bonuses.

But I do still think that a civ without a UB would feel incomplete, and that an aggressive civ with 1UU would have a bit of a disadvantage under the AI.

Oh, I'm sure it's balanced overall. My problem is just that because of my style of playing, playing as the 2 UU civs would give me a disadvantage. I suppose my methods also made some civs more or less attractive in IV as well (particularly the Spanish-- their unique building was always obsolete or close to it by the time I researched that tech), but the penalty seems a bit stiffer this time around. A good half of the civs would work contrary to my style. I don't like to stick to a few key civs, I like to mix it up as much as possible. Eh, probably not that big of a deal though, I'm sure in the end I'll still end up playing with the 2UU civs almost as often, even if I'm missing out on some bonuses.

I don't get this argument. Yes, playing peacefully with civs that have 2 UUs puts you at a disadvantage, but so does playing peacefully with any aggressive or imperialist Civ in Civ IV. That's just how the game is -- some civs suit different styles of play better.

But I do still think that a civ without a UB would feel incomplete, and that an aggressive civ with 1UU would have a bit of a disadvantage under the AI.

That depends on the Ability... an aggressive civ with 1 UU and a Unique ability that supports war may actuallly be at a bit of an advantage with the AI, especially since each AI will be uniquely tailored to the civ.

some possible civ types+strategies (ignoring the Ability for now just UU/UB and timing)

UU+UB same time...civ has a massive boost point, either by mass UUmilitary expansion, supported by the UB or mass UB peaceful development, protected by the UU

2x UU same time... probably best for a civ that has one break out point (mass military expansion) and then can take any path from there.

2x UU at different times..Civ can either defend at both points for prolonged development, or expand at both points, or expand then defend+develop, or defend+develop in preparation for expanding later

UU+UB at different times... Probable expansion at time of UU, either supported by earlier UB or to lay groundwork for UB to get full benefit.

I was kinda hopeing for multiple leaders with their separate traits and UU/UB and one Civ UU. So that no matter which roman leader you pick you always have a Legionar as your UU and the Leader you chose would close the UB other UU gap.

Never thought there would be special abilities though, Mother Russia(depending on what it does) sounds awesome

I guess civs that have 2 UU will get their special abilities providing more bonuses related to economy, construction, science or whatever. The game needs some balance there or else the random civ option is going to be a bit boring: "Ok got the greeks... guess it's conquest victory for me then".

I guess civs that have 2 UU will get their special abilities providing more bonuses related to economy, construction, science or whatever. The game needs some balance there or else the random civ option is going to be a bit boring: "Ok got the greeks... guess it's conquest victory for me then".

Oh, I'm pretty confident that Balance will be there. For instance, since units are both finite and also expensive to upkeep, then an effective UU or two can aid a scientific or cultural victory agenda by enabling the player to maintain a small but powerful army and use the saved gold to help unlock the other techs and social policies.

I'd like to think that with no tech trading, increased usage of gold, and limited militaries, that the UU's will have all kinds of flexible gameplay options, and that while your leader/civ will have a big impact on you victory strategy, so will the chaning conditions you face.

That's the hope anyway.

I find it weird that the second french UU is "Foreign Legion".
Considering the prominent importance of France in the middle-age, and how its heavy cavalry is so iconic of the period, wouldn't a "Chevalier" unit be much more appropriate ?

(from another thread & the video) The Technology: Trapping gives workers the ability to build camps and a trading post which increases the gold yield of the tile. Now we know where the Russian UB falls...early & potentially very useful.

I'm loving the look of Arabia - should note that they have 2 unique's to dominate trade - they're basically the only unique anything that looks like a trade bonus (maybe the Russian Fur Trading post and China's paper maker would have similar effect). From whenever you get the Bazaar onwards you're set.

Other civs look less well "defined." Take America with 2 UU's that are not in the same era or even in subsequent era's and an ability that is unlikely to be much use when they have either UU available to them.

I also don't mind the 2 UU or 1 UU and 1 UB split. I mean, for all I said about Arabia they do look like they'll be vulnerable outside of the camel archer era. I'd imagine that if say, the Ottomans were on their doorstep, you could play a slow game as the Ottomans, wait for your UU's to come around (I am assuming that the Sipahi will come at a stage the camel archer is nearly out-dated). Then you have two UU's vs non-military civ...

Also - I'm hoping pirates (probably in the form of privateers) will be in the game in some form. I'd say that would link up with the Ottoman ability - eg increased gold from pirate activities.

maybe some evidence that this isn't a complete list is the fact that at least half of the civs don't have a video? or maybe i'm just reading too much into that.

I find it weird that the second french UU is "Foreign Legion".
Considering the prominent importance of France in the middle-age, and how its heavy cavalry is so iconic of the period, wouldn't a "Chevalier" unit be much more appropriate ?
Agreed. Foreign legion is blah. I would have much rather seen better knights, more iconic.

Trapping gives workers the ability to build camps and a trading post which increases the gold yield of the tile. Now we know where the Russian UB falls...early & potentially very useful.
Slightly confused here; do you think camps and trading posts are both improvements? One on bonuses, one generic?
Or is one an improvement, and the other a building; trading post building improves yields of camp-improvement tiles worked by that city?

maybe some evidence that this isn't a complete list is the fact that at least half of the civs don't have a video?
They did before, it got taken down.

know what i find funny about the factoids? it's like, all of them are interesting except for arabia, which has none and siam basically has, "um...uh...they won miss universe twice?"

Slightly confused here; do you think camps and trading posts are both improvements? One on bonuses, one generic?
Or is one an improvement, and the other a building; trading post building improves yields of camp-improvement tiles worked by that city?

Well, the Tech screenshot still in the video clearly says that workers build Trading Posts unlocked by Trapping. And they increase gold output on the map.

That said, I have no idea how the mechanics work, i.e. is it like a mine? Or something different?

Now, the Russian UB, the Fur Trading Post, I'm assuming is something built in the city, and I don't think we have a firm idea as to what Era/purpose they have yet.

yeah, fur trading posts aren't necessarily a replacement for regular trading posts, even though that would make the most sense logically. and even still, a building isn't necessarily a building in a city, at least if you consider improvements as buildings.

Top Bottom