2011 MLB Thread

How about the fan interference call in the Cubs' 9th inning last night ? Am I missing something, or does that call rather encourage fans to try and interfere in that situation, and hope that the call goes their teams way ?

I must admit, I found the high-fiving and general triumphalism of the jerk in the Utley shirt (the fan in question) pretty poor (see around about 2.47 in the MLB clip).

Pity the game was won on a Polanco screw-up, but even I was glad that the Cubbies won that one in the end.

re oswalt - bit of a funk lately. definitely keep him/exercise the option (2012 i think). whispers being made that he may retire to be with family etc. probably premature. but i would take an oswalt in a funk over piles and piles of other SPs :)

How about the fan interference call in the Cubs' 9th inning last night ? Am I missing something, or does that call rather encourage fans to try and interfere in that situation, and hope that the call goes their teams way ?

I must admit, I found the high-fiving and general triumphalism of the jerk in the Utley shirt (the fan in question) pretty poor (see around about 2.47 in the MLB clip).

Pity the game was won on a Polanco screw-up, but even I was glad that the Cubbies won that one in the end.

That was a fun game to attend :D. It had a little bit of everything too - good pitching, some homers, some great plays, some not-so-great plays, a monsoon of a rain-delay, and fan running onto the field during said rain delay, a reviewed call, extra innings, and a come from behind win for the Cubbies. I was in left center field and didn't get a good look at the Colvin "homer." From where I was sitting it looked like one and I haven't seen a replay yet to tell one way or the other. Had a guy sitting behind me going on how Colvin and his .084 BA shouldn't be in the league - he shut up after Colvin (almost) ripped it out of the park :lol:. The Soto shot the batter prior was a no-doubter though.

Though I gotta admit, it looked like neither team wanted to actually win the thing though - I was convinced Marmol was going to blow it in the eleventh :lol: .

tough way to lose, i guess. keep hammering away at philly fans why don't you :)

Not fans, plural, just this one.

I wish they had switched back to him at the end - I'd have enjoyed seeing his reaction then.

Looks like there's some talk of realignment. Basically, take one NL team (the Astros were mentioned, but who knows) and put them in the AL, making 2 leagues of 15 teams each.

More radically, (and almost certainly less likely) was the idea of scrapping the divisions and have the top 5 teams from each league make the playoffs, presumably producing a bracket looking like this contraption:

Looks like there's some talk of realignment. Basically, take one NL team (the Astros were mentioned, but who knows) and put them in the AL, making 2 leagues of 15 teams each.

More radically, (and almost certainly less likely) was the idea of scrapping the divisions and have the top 5 teams from each league make the playoffs, presumably producing a bracket looking like this contraption:

Hmm, could be interesting, but I'd rather not see the American League be perennially be composed of the Yankees and Red Sox as permanent playoff positions making it even harder for weaker, poorer, smaller market teams to make the playoffs.

Hmm, could be interesting, but I'd rather not see the American League be perennially be composed of the Yankees and Red Sox as permanent playoff positions making it even harder for weaker, poorer, smaller market teams to make the playoffs.

I like the divisions, and agree that eliminating them is just another card stacked in the favor of the large markets. Maybe if there was a salary cap in place it would work, although i would still dislike the addition of the 5th spot, and the idea of a bye.

I like the divisions, and agree that eliminating them is just another card stacked in the favor of the large markets. Maybe if there was a salary cap in place it would work, although i would still dislike the addition of the 5th spot, and the idea of a bye.

I agree with you 100%. And since the MLBPA would never in a million bajillion years consent to a salary cap, I'd prefer things to stay right where they are.

Yeah I agree completely, and Im a Yankees fan :D

I doubt anything will happen before 2012, but there seems to be a growing sentiment from the players for some sort of a change to the current system.

Strangely, from what espn says, the players feel that eliminating the divisions would help the small market teams. Other than Baltimore, Toronto, and Tampa, i can't see how that works.

So basically make it like basketball?

It used to sort of be this way, except it was just AL East and West vs NL East and West.

I don't see how it would help small markets. :confused:

So basically make it like basketball?

It used to sort of be this way, except it was just AL East and West vs NL East and West.

Actually it just plain used to be like this. Earlier it was just American League and National League with the first place team in each division going to the WS. That's where the phrase "pennant race" comes from.

Waaay earlier, like pre 1970 or something though, right? We have what, 10 more teams now or something?

Waaay earlier, like pre 1970 or something though, right? We have what, 10 more teams now or something?

Yes. I believe the divide was made in 1968 or 69 or somesuch.

Brewers are on a serious roll now that they're healthy....

It's going to be an interesting 3-team race in the NL central with the Brewers, Reds and Cardinals all having pretty good teams. :)

Brewers are on a serious roll now that they're healthy....

It's going to be an interesting 3-team race in the NL central with the Brewers, Reds and Cardinals all having pretty good teams. :)

This whole season is going to be great. All of the divisions are competitive!

Top Bottom