2011 MLB Thread

Looking forward to the season! :scan:

Me too! :)

I live in Europe, so I don't get to see as much of the Cardinals as I would like, considering ESPN America's love affair with the Red Sox and Yankees forces the TV schedule to be AL East heavy. But tonight is going to be nice, 'cause they're broadcasting Padres at Cards in the Netherlands. :D

Opening day finally.

It's weather like we have around here today that sometimes makes me think that MLB ought to cut the regular season schedule down.

Opening day finally.

It's weather like we have around here today that sometimes makes me think that MLB ought to cut the regular season schedule down.

The MLB should make a whole host of changes, season shortening chiefly among them, but they're so obsessed with tradition that it would never happen. I consider it a minor miracle we have interleague play.

It snowed in Ohio yesterday. If snow is still a risk, we shouldn't be playing baseball.

We've got some fine weather shaping up for today's matchups:

Atlanta at Washington, presently 41 degrees with light drizzle, forecast high in the mid 40s.

Detroit at New York, 46 degrees with light rain, forecast high in the mid 40s with light rain.

Milwaukee at Cincinnati, 42 degrees but sunny, forecast high in the low 40s.

Los Angeles at Kansas City, 46 degrees and haze. Forecast high in the mid 50s with chance of rain and thunderstorms.

San Diego at St. Louis, 50 degrees and overcast, chance of showers, highs in the low 50s.

It's sunny and beautiful in California! 79 degrees and no clouds in the sky in LA for the Giants opener. Heck, they could be playing in SF today and it would still be cloudless, perfect beautiful day for baseball.

I like the long season and I also think interleague play is a stupid pointless show. While I enjoy watching the Red Sox beat the Giants in AT&T park, I also think it's a totally crazy part of the schedule that teams are not built to perform and it should be done away with. Get off my lawn!

i'm not a big fan of interleague either. i mean, it's ok and i would never turn down tix to see, say the red sox or yankees in philly. seen 'em both a bunch of times. i guess i sort of like it when far flung teams come to philly like oakland or minnesota or anaheim. we don't see much of them out here. i would rather they slash the interleague stuff, maybe give like 2 series a year, home and away for example. i would much prefer more games against other NL divisions like the central and west.

It's one of those "for the fans" gimmicks that messes with the season at a time when the season starts to get important, i.e. June July-ish. I am biased as it has ruined more than one Red Sox season.

I'm about 25 miles west of Philly and there's some snow falling here this morning. :crazyeye: Roy Halladay is going to throw a no-hitter for the Phil's opener.

I went to a Cubs opening day in 04... it was like 30 degrees with wind howling into me off the lake. Maddux threw about 15 balls in a row and we got smashed. I'll never go to another opening day, not in Chicago anyway ;)

I'm thinking about going to see the White Sox and the Rays next weekend. Will I be able to get tickets?

PS-the Kershaw character is a good pitcher.

I think their offense is just as good as it was last year, I mean Uribe might club 20 homers but in my opinion he is still a sucky hitter. I think Tejada is an improvement on him to be honest, because Tejada gets on base more and makes more contact, even though he is a washed up former juicer. And they lost Renteria... meh good riddance.

Belt should be good. The big question mark is Panda. A stat they put up last night said he swung at 55% of pitches last year. That is a number that would make Billy Bean's head explode with rage and fury. And he is hitting eighth. Why? Why put the guy who swings at the most junk in baseball (literally!) in a position where he will see nothing but junk??? Seems like a recipe for disaster. Bat him 7th or something at least, jesus. Perhaps it is a message that he needs to get his act together and stop being a fat ass K machine.

Giants offense will only be alright if Panda gets his act together, Tejada does not stink up the joint, and Belt can manage a .270 15 HR 60 RBI season, which I think is possible. He hit quite a few dingers in the minors last year, he has got it in him. Burrel I am expecting to tire out at the end of the season. My main concern, actually, is their outfield defensively. They are all old and slow except for Torres. You do not want old and slow guys patrolling the huge expanse of AT&T park.

I think the most underrated guy on that team is Freddy Sanchez*. That guy is a great contact hitter and people underestimate him. Watch him hit, he always gets wood on the ball. I am telling anyone that will listen that he is money.

*former Red Sox prospect traded away in 2003 for Jeff Suppan and Scott friggin Sauerbeck. WTF??

:lol: sanchez is a former NL batting champion :) rode him to all his glory that year in our cfc league. there's just nothing sexy about their offense. they play in a cavern and play intra-division games in caverns (la, sd to be precise). panda looked like he lost a pile a weight this off-season. saw him on the mlb network a few weeks ago. if he can hit, then that lineup will clearly be better. a big if though.

such a shame to see giants lose like that. i wonder if our resident Giants Homer thinks kershaw is a no.4 pitcher on the giants staff :lol: giants are going to have trouble scoring runs this year.

Nope! You see, unlike the Phillies, the Dodgers do not tout their staff as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

*EDIT* Also, really Bochy? You put in Casilla? Bleh, maybe he hasn't learned anything since last season...

Wow, the Astro's blew it! Phillies can still go 162-0....

The Cubs are picking up where they left off last year, getting beat by the Pirates...

This is going to be a loooong season...

Top Bottom