2017 NFL Regular Season Thread

If Alex Smith continues to kick ass for the next few years the Chiefs will have a happy dilemma with Maholmes and they can either keep him or trade him to somebody else for a ton of draft picks and/or players. :lol:

Alex is likely playing for his future team. Since 2018 is the last year of his contract, he is going to be most tradable this off season. If the Chiefs wait another year, they probably get only free agent compensation. As he is going, they might get a 2nd round pick or better.

J

There is a chance the chiefs could win the super bowl this year. Getting rid of that kind of a quarterback is hard to justify. Especially when it’s Alex Smith if all people, considering his past.

This is my first time watching a game live with ctd's favourite player Tony Romo doing the commentary...

I have to say... Romo is a freaking lock with his commentary. That point he made about using left footed punters to change the spin was EPIC...

I think Romo needs to try his hand at coaching. His talents are wasted getting hated on for hot calls.

There is a chance the chiefs could win the super bowl this year. Getting rid of that kind of a quarterback is hard to justify. Especially when it’s Alex Smith if all people, considering his past.
Alex Smith has been pushed by a big armed draft pick before. He responded with a career year. Colin Kaepenick got the job anyway. It's proof the 49er head office is a bunch of morons.

538 agrees that the Chiefs may be a SB team. This is the highest the team has scored on their metric since their last SB team.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-last-time-the-chiefs-were-this-good-they-won-a-super-bowl/

This is my first time watching a game live with ctd's favourite player Tony Romo doing the commentary... I have to say... Romo is a freaking lock with his commentary. That point he made about using left footed punters to change the spin was EPIC... I think Romo needs to try his hand at coaching. His talents are wasted getting hated on for hot calls.
Tony was always in danger of overthinking a play. At the mike, that's a good thing.Best new guy in a generation, at least.

J

Tony was always in danger of overthinking a play. At the mike, that's a good thing.Best new guy in a generation, at least.

Hope you're right, but do reacall that Phil Simms was really good his first couple of seasons in the booth.

Hope you're right, but do reacall that Phil Simms was really good his first couple of seasons in the booth.
Lets see. Sims started broadcast work 23 years ago. I'd say 20+ years works for a generation. Got any other names? I don't remember Sims' early work, but I do remember a number or other former QB that have come and gone.

J

How much better would the Browns get if Antonio Brown started playing for the Browns?

My opinions of this week:

1) Giants play better than ever without their best players. At least the Seahawks will have time to prepare to take them seriously, a mistake that Denver apparently made.
2) Aaron Rodgers out for the season? Now the Vikings have a legit chance to win their division, especially if Bradford comes back.
3) Steelers beat Chiefs? Nobody saw that coming. The loss was a fluke for the Chiefs, I'm pretty sure. My only question is will the Steelers start to get solid again (as in, contenders to possibly win the AFC or at least reach the AFC championship game).
4) Falcons lost? Wut?
5) As it stands the best team in the NFC (looking at win/loss ratio) is the Eagles. They have been ignored for too long. At this point, it can be assumed they're at least as good as the Falcons.

edit: finally: Seahawks are aggressively trying to recruit offensive lineman before the deadline. Nobody can blame them for trying, but actually doing it something else.

McCoy needs to go...The play-calling was ridiculous and very predictable...Abandoning the run so early in the game led to Siemian taking way too many throws that led to interceptions...Siemian is a backup QB at best, never gets rid of the football on time, takes too many sacks and commits too many mistakes...Fortunately for him, both Osweiler and Lynch are horrible alternatives, so his job is safe for now...

My opinions of this week:

1) Giants play better than ever without their best players. At least the Seahawks will have time to prepare to take them seriously, a mistake that Denver apparently made.
I was wondering about this... do you think it was Denver simply looking past the Giants or has the air cleared a little with Beckham and his antic out of the picture. ODell seems to have a tendency to suck up all the air in the room... maybe the Giants have refocused without him?

They lost way more than just him though. But I agree that Odell has way too much of a 'celebrity athlete' vibe going for him. I find it annoying, and I don't even live near New York.

Lets see. Sims started broadcast work 23 years ago. I'd say 20+ years works for a generation. Got any other names? I don't remember Sims' early work, but I do remember a number or other former QB that have come and gone.

J

As hard as it is to believe now, Simms was actually good when he was at ESPN, and IIRC his first year at CBS. Then he suddenly turned ultra bland and unwatchable - suspect the CBS producers were behind that.

As for others QBs, they've come and gone for good reason - they were never any good. Troy Aikman is the oddity - he's never
been as bad as Simms, but he's also never had the "must see" vibe either.

I just realized next season will be much better because lots of good qbs are coming off the draft and there are also lots of teams that need one. Fewer teams with sucky QBs make the NFL more interesting.

edit: potential candidates (by my calculations)

in no particular order:

1) Jets. Self-explanatory.
2) Broncos. Paxton Lynch hasn't panned out and while Sieman is serviceable he isn't a long-term solution.
3) Steelers. Big if. Ben says he's thinking about retirement but we'll see if it actually happens.
4) Browns. Because their current guy is not good, and a legit QB would make a significant difference for that franchise. They actually do have some talent, just not at the QB position.
5) Jags. Another big if. Bortles has done quite a bit better this year (so far...), so they may or may not keep him.
6) Cards. Carson Palmer won't be around much longer and they need to prepare for the replacement. The only question is do they do it now or wait another season (or two...)
7) 49ers. See: Jets
8) Saints: Same situation as Cardinals, except Drew Brees, is even older and therefore it's even more urgent.

There won't be 8 great Qbs out of the draft. No draft will be THAT good. But all 8 of those teams probably won't seek one either. 4 is a realistic number in this QB heavy draft (maybe even more, who knows). If I got to pick the 4 teams (supposing there are only 4 "good" qbs coming out of the draft) I'd go with Jets, Broncos, Browns, and 49ers. All the other teams are less urgent.

Last edited:
Can't wait for Elway to pass up the next Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott...To be honest, he's been terrible selecting draft picks in the past seasons...

Not much, I'd gather... someone needs to throw to him... but putting that aside... they'd probably just trade him for a bunch of draft picks...
That has actually worked for them. The roster has a lot more depth than it used to. Now they need to focus on drafting and developing impact players.

Thursday night's game was much anticipated preseason. Oakland has lost four straight, which takes a lot of the fun out.

J

Raiders need more luck and fun on their side, which explains why they're moving to Vegas.

But they should change Raiders to Rollers.

edit: On an unrelated note I just realized Jimmy Garoppolo (backup QB of Patriots) becomes an unrestricted free agent next year. There's no way he'll continue to be a backup QB of Tom Brady if he can become a starter somewhere else (and almost certainly get more money).

If I know anything it's that football will get better next year because there won't be near the shortage in quality starter QBs.

also: They're saying Teddy Bridgewater is starting to come back. Not a moment too soon either.

Last edited:
This was some incredibly good Thursday Night Football until what I just witnessed. What the hell was that? Late hit on Carr which was bad but perhaps understandable, then everybody gets in a fight and Lynch shoves an official and gets ejected from the game.

Jesus Christ what a nail-biter.

Top Bottom