2020 NFL offseason thread

They’re also losing some key pieces to free agency, especially on defense. Don’t expect the team, overall to improve. I can buy they’ll give Brady better weapons but that defense (which was a decisive factor to the Patriots being a solid team this season) is all but guaranteed to regress.

I still think all three of their division rivals will have rosters that are similarly capable and talented. If I’m right about that, it’s really hard to put up a better season record than 12-4 in those circumstances.

Perhaps. I think it’s actually a good thing (for Darnold) that the Jets sucked ass without him, because that eventually justifies giving him a huge contract after the rookie deal because he is good enough to be a long term solution for the indefinite future. Something that franchise has not had in a long time.

I said myself before Sam Darnold was even drafted that he was the one QB prospect out of that draft you can’t mess up because he was already a complete player for the NFL coming out of college. The Jets were smart enough to just pick the safest one and it paid off.

edit: almost all mock drafts had the Browns taking Darnold at number one overall for that reason. The most complete, pro ready QB fell into their laps and they took advantage.

So far, they’ve demonstrated to be two different teams between when he’s playing and when he isn’t, so based on what tangible evidence they’ve already given us, I’m not making a huge leap of imagination here.

FWIW most mock drafts project the Jets spending their first rounder on either an offensive lineman or a wide receiver. If either of those turns out to be true, it looks like they’re committed to put him in a position to succeed.

I wouldn’t move on from Darius Slay if I’m the Lions. Their pass defense is already awful. In that situation, the last thing you want to do is get rid of by far the best cornerback on the roster. On the other hand, they are in a position to draft the best corner in the draft. Doing that while keeping Slay would give them two shutdown corners. As long as they both stay healthy (and play to their potential) the floor of their pass defense will be significantly elevated from what it was last season. I don’t think Patricia is that dumb, but I could be wrong. He already got rid of Quandre Diggs for pennies on the dollar after all. (Seahawks secondary before we had him and after is night and day).

Last edited:
Adam Gase is an offensive minded head coach who IIRC engineered the best offense ever with the Broncos that year.

This draft is deep with talent both at offensive tackle and wide receiver. He has already greatly improved the team while he’s on the field. I think you’re going to be wrong.

They also get the eleventh pick, which just outside the top ten.

You’re a lot older than I am, and have been following football far longer, but I believe in them more than you do.

Their commitment has never been questioned. Having the Jets committed to your success is like having a grizzly bear committed to your relaxation...it doesn't mean the massage is going to end well.
Well... you can't be more relaxed than "dead"...

After the beginning of the Rex Ryan years... when they showed the slightest glimmer of becoming a rival to the Patriots... I actually had some hope for them finally becoming a contender. But then they slid into hopeless mediocrity and I completely gave up on them around 2012. Since then they've spectacularly imploded.

I mean, the new black unis with the metallic green helmets are snazy... but I don't think that's enough for me to pay attention to them again. The Oregon Ducks give me my fill of that.

Those things might be related. Beyond a certain point you have to just shrug and say "well, it's the Jets." I passed that point in...I dunno...maybe the nineties.

As a Dolphins fan I'm incredibly biased here, but... The Jets gave away Bill Belichick for... how did that 1st rounder work out, again?

Now whether Darth Hoodie wanted to leave and would have left soon enough anyway, or he was okay coaching for the Jets and would have stayed a bit (until he realized the Jets were the Jets), either way the Jets should still be wincing about that one.

Those things might be related. Beyond a certain point you have to just shrug and say "well, it's the Jets." I passed that point in...I dunno...maybe the nineties.

Of course they’re related, that’s why I brought it up.

I think Jets are going to break their culture of losing for the indefinite future. But we’ll see.

One domino has fallen - Brees announced he is returning to the Saints next year.

Yeah, I saw that in the news. Good for him. They still have a super bowl window as long as he's playing at an elite level. Hopefully, they can have a nice draft.

edit: They had better hope Brees stays healthy this time though. I don't see how they will feasibly afford Bridgewater.

Last edited:
Today's offbeat thing...Lions shopping Stafford with eye towards using #3 pick on Tagavailoa. Does that seem reasonable?

Not to me. Not with his injury history - my understanding is once you dislocate a joint, it becomes easier to
dislocate it again even if it's surgically repaired. And we're talking hip here.

But it's also my understanding that it does look a reasonable risk to several teams.
Only time will tell who is right.

Dat be true about Fitzpatrick.

I don’t understand why the Lions would want to trade Stafford in the first place. He’s a perfectly capable, solid starting QB.

But secondly, and more importantly, they have the worst passing defense in the league and are in a position to almost certainly be able to draft the best corner in the draft, a shutdown corner, or Chase Young.

I’m not sure what difference it makes to just reset at QB when you could be using your great draft capital to fix the biggest weakness on the team.

Edit: although, here is something I just realized. If the Dolphins genuinely believe that the Lions are taking their guy at #3, they will do whatever they have to trade up with Washington. Bengals are almost guaranteed to use their pick on Joe Borrow... meaning Chase Young, the best player in the entire draft, will be available to them at #3 overall without having to trade up. If this is a bluff, it’s smart. Otherwise, I don’t agree unless another team gives up a kings ransom for Stafford.

Last edited:
Seahawks acquire Greg Olsen and put him on a one year, seven million dollar contract.

Most people in r/Seahawks are happy about it but I’m not entirely sure. I was kind of wishing we wait for OJ Howard, who is a potential long term solution rather than a 35 year old.

That said, he’s still productive and above league average, when healthy. If he (or Dissly) could be healthy at the same time as RW, Lockett, and Metcalf, that could be a dangerous offense.

When healthy is the operative phrase.

It seems a reasonable risk if you currently are rolling with Ryan Fitzpatrick. If you currently have Matthew Stafford it seems every kind of insane.
They may just be desperate. The Lions don't strike me as a "just need a QB to complete the package for a Superbowl run" kind of team...

Now the 49ers on the other hand :mischief:

Top Bottom