2K Announces Civilization Revolution for Next Generation Consoles!

That's ridiculous. As I said over at Gamespot, the PC Civilization community is so embedded that what happens on the consoles will have no impact on them. If anything, it might get some more people over to PC Civ gaming.

I don't know if you're just being ignorant, naive or haven't followed the rapid decline of gaming industry in this decade, but there's been literally dozens of succesfull/known game franchises which have been utterly destroyed by giving up to the market forces - e.g. the casual gamers, console gamers, hype. Some of those games (examples: Tomb Raider, GTA, EU, any FPS, C&C) of course are still being made in braindead zombified versions, but hey they give good money. And they surely will drive players to good games no doubt about that, now we just need to find some developers also from the USA and Western Europe to mass produce good games.

Noticing the mother company Take-Two, I'm bit suprised they didn't started making and announce this game earlier, of course they had to first make sure how dumbed down eyecandy game would do with the PC crowd and collect the cash. The success of Civ 4 will only encourage making this franchise for even more to the masses. Which, sad to say, seems to be fine if not wonderful for most of the so called fans here, those who doesn't have enough concentration to read this post. When you mature enough or just want "more" from the games you'll realise these dark ages and sad future ahead but atleast there is very bright past with full of gaming jewels.

Civ 5 will be Vista/consoles crossplatform strategy game, with dressing room where you can create your very own leader and action sequences where you fight with your leader using fists or stealth against enemies! Wow! I can't wait to play that! Your famous celebrities have done great job providing their voices to the leaders. And don't forget about minigames where you can aim with the battleships guns! Moddability is of course unknown, really who cared about it anyway, and just for few bucks and gaming points you can buy those neat shadowninja and commando units and robot factory terrain improvement. Fight for your ranking in online international ladder! They didn't had good computers in the past so the game had to be turn based, thank god that part of history is over - this game is modern!
Even if the target audience doesn't know who Sid Meier is, they will still buy the game since they heard from the bribed reviewer in the gaming magazine he's done awesome games in the past, most notably the fun and innovative Civilization Revolution! Some people don't like, most of them do. Mark my words.

I don't know if you're just being ignorant, naive or haven't followed the rapid decline of gaming industry in this decade, but there's been literally dozens of succesfull/known game franchises which have been utterly destroyed by giving up to the market forces - e.g. the casual gamers, console gamers, hype. Some of those games (examples: Tomb Raider, GTA, EU, any FPS, C&C) of course are still being made in braindead zombified versions, but hey they give good money. And they surely will drive players to good games no doubt about that, now we just need to find some developers also from the USA and Western Europe to mass produce good games.

Noticing the mother company Take-Two, I'm bit suprised they didn't started making and announce this game earlier, of course they had to first make sure how dumbed down eyecandy game would do with the PC crowd and collect the cash. The success of Civ 4 will only encourage making this franchise for even more to the masses. Which, sad to say, seems to be fine if not wonderful for most of the so called fans here, those who doesn't have enough concentration to read this post. When you mature enough or just want "more" from the games you'll realise these dark ages and sad future ahead but atleast there is very bright past with full of gaming jewels.

Civ 5 will be Vista/consoles crossplatform strategy game, with dressing room where you can create your very own leader and action sequences where you fight with your leader using fists or stealth against enemies! Wow! I can't wait to play that! Your famous celebrities have done great job providing their voices to the leaders. And don't forget about minigames where you can aim with the battleships guns! Moddability is of course unknown, really who cared about it anyway, and just for few bucks and gaming points you can buy those neat shadowninja and commando units and robot factory terrain improvement. Fight for your ranking in online international ladder! They didn't had good computers in the past so the game had to be turn based, thank god that part of history is over - this game is modern!
Even if the target audience doesn't know who Sid Meier is, they will still buy the game since they heard from the bribed reviewer in the gaming magazine he's done awesome games in the past, most notably the fun and innovative Civilization Revolution! Some people don't like, most of them do. Mark my words.

I have been following the gaming industry for the past two and a half decades, and I would argue that it has not declined in the least. IMO, 2004-2006 (the height of the PS2 era) will end up going down as the most innovative in history. Are there a lot of crappy games? Yes. Have franchises been run into ground? Of course. Franchises are subjected to the same forces as any other product: introduction, mainstream, obsolescence, retro. But where other franchises have gone wrong, Civilization has NOT. And believe me, the possibility (especially with all the company switching) was high.

This is not a step Firaxis is taking lightly. They are aware of the risks of rebranding for a different environment. But the Civilization community is strong, and that's why Firaxis is willing to take the risk. Expand into the so-called 'kiddie' market, grab the gamers, and when they reach college they'll buy Civ V. It's a good strategy.

If Civilization Revolution fails -- presuming it doesn't bankrupt everyone involved -- no big deal. Civilization 5 will still come out for the PC, and it'll be the same sort of game Civilization 4 was. But if Civilization Revolution succeeds, it will introduce a new segment of the population to the Civilization experience, and that can only strengthen the franchise.

Besides, whether you realize it or not, Civilization 4 brought a lot of console gamers into this forum. That's why I disappeared for 9 months, because they were driving me nuts. So console creep into the franchise is already present.

Do not fear change. Do not fear success. Trust in Sid.

Woot![party] I own a DS and my computer doesn't have the specs to run Civ IV. From my point of view this is great news!

Ya I'm assuming their releasing a DS version, but they said handhelds, and the DS is one of the big two.

In Sid we trust :)

I think that's probably true. But consoles don't have keyboards, and consoles haven't historically had deep strategy games.
Both the 360, and PS3 support usb keyboards. There was Civ2, but I think thats about it.

When did people who play consoles become perceived as teenage boys whose only thoughts are sex, and pop culture with little room for any intellectual thought?

Actually since when are dark-skinned, big-boobied women only for teenage boys? Bottom line is that consoles are for mass population who game less seriously and technically than the PC-gamers, who themselves obsess on MMORPGing, MODing, or upgrading their computer for The Next Big Eyecandy Game.

When did people who play consoles become perceived as teenage boys whose only thoughts are sex, and pop culture with little room for any intellectual thought?

This is probably THE fastest growing thread on the News Updates forum ever.

Except for the April Fools Joke.

But since they could put Pirates on the PSP why not Civ, you could DL content for every system except the DS(AFAIK).

Since CivRev is definitely going to the PS3, and Pirates! went to the PSP, I can't imagine CivRev won't be on the PSP.

The DS is a question, but imho it's a natural choice and hopefully :please: it will be going there.

EDIT: You can download to the DS via WiFi, iirc. They could also make expansions to use the GBA slot.

I think that's probably true. But consoles don't have keyboards, and consoles haven't historically had deep strategy games.

Consoles now operate with any UBS wireless keyboard and have their own mouse setups(optical cordless,bluetooth, trackball) so you can say that lack of strategy games before dosn't say much anymore.

Consoles now operate with any UBS wireless keyboard and have their own mouse setups(optical cordless,bluetooth, trackball) so you can say that lack of strategy games before dosn't say much anymore.

Except previous generations have also had keyboards and mice. While I agree the new systems are capable of playing strategy games like Civ 4, it's going to be a long time before it's embraced.

However, success with CivRev may very well encourage ports to the consoles.

Civ IV on my laptop on the train... Civ Revolutions on my PSP on the train when I can't get a seat... Civ for all commuting occasions.

^^ we dont know its gonna be RTS and i really dont think Sid will make an RTS game and call it Civ because thats just not right

Top Bottom