2nd UU and 2nd UB for DoC

Is there any chance of this being merged into the main DoC?

You have to ask Leoreth.
But even if he doesn't, my goal is to make it a module like Blue Marble or VD. So you can very easily incorporate it yourself into the main mod.

By now, I updated all UU and most UB. I'm more or less done with the conversion to the new DoC code. However, in the process, I dropped some of the old UB, because I didn't really like them for various reason. That means I have to replace them, but I don't have much inspiration what the replacements could be. I need suggestions for an UB for:

Arabia
Old UB is the 1st UB in DoC now. The Madrassa can't be used as the 2nd UB. So it needs a completely new one.
Colombia
I think the Vacation Resort isn't really specific for Colombia. I want something that is more unique to Colombia.
Congo
I didn't think the Wene was bad in itself, but I didn't really like its special feature. It was a bit dull. A new unique feature would do the job, but I'm not against a complete new UB.
Vikings
The Riksbank is actually a Swedish building. Before now, I thought it was nice that the Vikings represented Sweden, but I prefer that the UB is more connected to the Vikings, rather than the Swedish.

Arabia
Old UB is the 1st UB in DoC now. The Madrassa can't be used as the 2nd UB. So it needs a completely new one.

What about Civ5's Bazaar?

Vikings
The Riksbank is actually a Swedish building. Before now, I thought it was nice that the Vikings represented Sweden, but I prefer that the UB is more connected to the Vikings, rather than the Swedish.

I don't see the problem with a Viking UB representing Sweden.

What do you have sofar for the civs you need inspiration for?

Wikipedia has a page on Medieval Scandinavian architecture. (longhouse +1 citizen came to my mind)

The school of Lanceros is typical colombian. It is a training institute for both domestic and foreign military and police in Colombia that is unique in the world in its focus on (countering) guerrilla warfare.

It was founded a bit late though (in gameterms) 1959.

A lot op towns in Venezuela (Gran Colombia) appear to have a plaza Bolivar. The central plaza, which houses gouvernmental institutions and public structures, around which the city or town is built (eg Bogota)

(Wikipedia: Simon Bolivar)

What about Civ5's Bazaar?

I don't see the problem with a Viking UB representing Sweden.

The Turks already have the Bazaar as 2nd UB.
I could give the Arabs the Souq or something, but the Turks (Bazaar, 2nd UB) and Iranian (Caravanserai, 1st UB) already have a Market UB and are an Islamic civ. I think the Souq would be too similar. I prefer some more diversity.

What do you have sofar for the civs you need inspiration for?

Wikipedia has a page on Medieval Scandinavian architecture. (longhouse +1 citizen came to my mind)

The old UB I used:
Arabia: My 2nd UB is now their 1st UB
Colombia: Vacation Resort, Broadcast tower with 15% gold bonus
Congo: Wene, Amphitheatre with raw 1 production and 3 commerce
Vikings: Riksbank, Bank with 1 free merchant

The longhouse seems a nice idea. What could it replace?

EDIT:
A small search on wikipedia gave me another idea: Mead hall. A grocer with a small unit production bonus. (10% or something)

Wikipedia islamic architecture.

building: Howz
effect: Increases the effect of religious civics.

That would require to much hard code stuff, which I don't want to do. (It makes it very hard to keep this modcomp in sync with the main mod)

The school of Lanceros is typical colombian. It is a training institute for both domestic and foreign military and police in Colombia that is unique in the world in its focus on (countering) guerrilla warfare.

It was founded a bit late though (in gameterms) 1959.

Colombia spawn quite late anyway, so the gap which would make it ahistorical isn't that big. And I don't mind that gap. There are more UB which come ahistorically early. I think it's suitable if it replaces the Jail. I don't know a suitable bonus for it. (military production bonus?)

I decided that the Mead Hall is a suitable UB for the Vikings. It's a grocer with a 15% military production bonus.

I think I've got a candidate for the Arabian 2nd UB, the Qalat. I'm thinking letting it be an aqueduct with something like +5 commerce for every oasis in the BFC. (The building itself gets the bonus. That's the easiest to code) There are 6 Oasis in the historical territory, so it's not an "only 1 city can benefit from it" building. (3 in the Arabian peninsula, 1 in Egypt, 1 in Iran and 1 in North Africa) What do you think of this idea?

The Qalat idea made me think about something I said about not wanting to have exotic features that would require custom code. Previously, I didn't want to go for that option, because that could cause some issues if you want to use the latest DoC updates. But with git, I think that wouldn't be much of a problem anymore. So I'm positive to some more exotic features that can't be done with XML alone. However, I will only do it if the is possible with only python and XML. If it requires DLL I still won't do it. Right now, I can't think of any 2nd UB which could make use of it (I'm satisfied with all 2nd UB I currently have). But if you have a suggestion for an alternative bonus for the current UB, just let me know.

I think I've got a candidate for the Arabian 2nd UB, the Qalat.

The Qanat is predominatly found in Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. So it feels wierd to see them in the Arabian civ

I could give the Arabs the Souq or something, but the Turks (Bazaar, 2nd UB) and Iranian (Caravanserai, 1st UB) already have a Market UB and are an Islamic civ. I think the Souq would be too similar. I prefer some more diversity.

what about the smoke house? It could be called the Zabihah? In terms of bonuses, what if it was a religious building? Therefore counting towards the wonders, civics, and events that count religious buildings? Otherwise it could provide both health and happiness from cows and sheep, but not from pigs?

Better yet, what about the Miqat? It would be a customs house that requires banking or theorcracy, and can be built on land. But only increase trade to the holy city.

The Qalat is a technique the persians relied upon to supply the food that formed the powerbase for their empire.

It is a very nice structure but I feel it belongs more to a classical civ. The qalats were already around when arabia became a force to reckon with.

Also the technique relies (afaik after reading the link you provided mostly) on waterbasins under hills. So if you do decide to implement the qanat for arabia I would still recommend tying the bonus to hills.

summary: really nice unique second building but should be given to persia (with a bonus tied to hills in stead of oases).

What are the other unique units and buildings (and what do they do) in your modmod for arabia?

sofar:

School of Lanceros
unique building for the Colombians. replaces jail

Sure a slight boost to military unit production looks helpfull.

I myself was thinking about giving all units built there guerrilla I or II (I would love to give them III for the +50% withdrawal chance but that is probably a bit too much)

Or to differentiate from the original celtic building, tactics (+30% withdrawal) (<-probably my favourite)

Or a bit more exotic (but I feel this will probably introduce some coding blues) a promotion that makes an unhappy citizens happy. (to simulate the counterterrorism)

to make 1 unhappy citizen happy you need 1 unit with the promotion (fully) fortified in the city.
to make 2 unhappy citizens happy you need 1+2 (=3) units with the promotion.
to make 3 unhappy citizens happy you need 1+2+3 (=6) units with the promotion.
etc.

Of course, to make coding even worse, 2 units with a 20% fortication bonus and 1 units with a 10% fortification bonus together in one city would give the same bonus of 1 happyness as 1 fully fortified unit (50% fortification bonus) ...

Maybe the Ottomans can have Hammam and a Siege Workshop UB?
Thus the Arabs can have a Market UB, let it be called Souq or Bazaar is up to your personal preference (AFAIK both of them fit)

The Qanat is predominatly found in Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. So it feels wierd to see them in the Arabian civ

what about the smoke house? It could be called the Zabihah? In terms of bonuses, what if it was a religious building? Therefore counting towards the wonders, civics, and events that count religious buildings? Otherwise it could provide both health and happiness from cows and sheep, but not from pigs?

Better yet, what about the Miqat? It would be a customs house that requires banking or theorcracy, and can be built on land. But only increase trade to the holy city.

I am aware that the system was developed by the Persian, but from what I got from the wikipedia page, similar system were also found in many other places in the Arabic World. The Iranians do have the Ab Anbar as their 2nd UB, so a similar system is already represented in the game. So it is probably better if Arabia gets something else.

I prefer that UB are not too much connected to religion. Especially if their bonus is connected to it.

I do like the idea of the Miqat. I already use the "buildable on land customs house" for the Italians, which I like to keep. Increasing trade route income for holy cities only requires some additional coding I won't do. What about a free Priest?

The Qalat is a technique the persians relied upon to supply the food that formed the powerbase for their empire.

It is a very nice structure but I feel it belongs more to a classical civ. The qalats were already around when arabia became a force to reckon with.

Also the technique relies (afaik after reading the link you provided mostly) on waterbasins under hills. So if you do decide to implement the qanat for arabia I would still recommend tying the bonus to hills.

summary: really nice unique second building but should be given to persia (with a bonus tied to hills in stead of oases).

What are the other unique units and buildings (and what do they do) in your modmod for arabia?

Ok, the Arabian won't get the Qanat. (And as said, Iran already has the Ab Anbar to represent this kind of technology)

Arabia has the Ghazi (Heavy Swordsman with withdraw chance and immunity to first strikes) as the 2nd UU and currently no 2nd UB.

sofar:

School of Lanceros
unique building for the Colombians. replaces jail

Sure a slight boost to military unit production looks helpfull.

I myself was thinking about giving all units built there guerrilla I or II (I would love to give them III for the +50% withdrawal chance but that is probably a bit too much)

Or to differentiate from the original celtic building, tactics (+30% withdrawal) (<-probably my favourite)

Or a bit more exotic (but I feel this will probably introduce some coding blues) a promotion that makes an unhappy citizens happy. (to simulate the counterterrorism)

to make 1 unhappy citizen happy you need 1 unit with the promotion (fully) fortified in the city.
to make 2 unhappy citizens happy you need 1+2 (=3) units with the promotion.
to make 3 unhappy citizens happy you need 1+2+3 (=6) units with the promotion.
etc.

Of course, to make coding even worse, 2 units with a 20% fortication bonus and 1 units with a 10% fortification bonus together in one city would give the same bonus of 1 happyness as 1 fully fortified unit (50% fortification bonus) ...

I like the free tactics promotion.

Maybe the Ottomans can have Hammam and a Siege Workshop UB?
Thus the Arabs can have a Market UB, let it be called Souq or Bazaar is up to your personal preference (AFAIK both of them fit)

The Ottomans already have the Great Bombard as their 2nd UU. I think giving them a Siege Workshop would be a bit overdone.

Fitting to your Original bonus (+5gold per oasis) for the second arabian UB would be a badawi encampment.
I would probably link it to a stable.

(source: Wikipedia, subject: Bedouin)

But there might be a specific word for such a camp in arabic.

I do like the idea of the Miqat. I already use the "buildable on land customs house" for the Italians, which I like to keep. Increasing trade route income for holy cities only requires some additional coding I won't do. What about a free Priest?

I think a free priest would be applicable for both the Zabihah and the Miqat

For the Congolese UB, what about a free slave unit when you build the Wene? I don't know for sure what it could replace. It did replace the amphitheatre in previous versions.

I will increase the UHV a bit if necessary.

New version is up! Both v1.14 and git version. Grab it from the first post of this thread.

I hope the installation instructions for git are a bit clear. If you have some questions, just ask them.

I followed the instructions for git (new branch, new remote) but when I pull I get an error :

Spoiler :
git.exe pull --progress --no-rebase -v "2ndUUB" 2ndUUB

POST git-upload-pack (945 bytes)
remote: Counting objects: 32, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (32/32), done.
remote: Total 32 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
From https://github.com/MeuhV1/Dawn-of-Civilization
* branch 2ndUUB -> FETCH_HEAD
* [new branch] 2ndUUB -> 2ndUUB/2ndUUB

*** Please tell me who you are.

Run

git config --global user.email "you@example.com"
git config --global user.name "Your Name"

to set your account's default identity.
Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

fatal: empty ident name (for <(null)>) not allowed

git did not exit cleanly (exit code 128) (48985 ms @ 26/05/2016 09:49:11)

I tried to enter a name in the settings for git but it won't let me type in :confused:

Top Bottom