1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3rd and 4th Unique Components for VP - Official thread

Discussion in 'Mods Repository' started by pineappledan, Apr 22, 2018.

1. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

2. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Ye olde favourite Suffet seems to still have some issues. When I get a great admiral (and it spawns as a great admiral when I get enough points), it turns properly into a Suffet when brought back into a city... except it then loses the ability to embark. A bit of a problem until airports are a thing.

The "shape-changing" also makes moving the unit around really clunky in general. Not a fan still, heh.

3. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

Brought this up before, but yeah, the Suffet is messed up, and I don't think there's too much Dan can do about it. I think it should just be reworked or scrapped in favour of another UU.

4. ProCatGamer

ProCatGamer Chieftain

Maybe the Suffet could be reworked to just a unique great admiral as I don't think there is one right now but there are other great generals?

But if Carthage is going to have another unique unit entirely what should they have? A unique unit around mercenaries? (as they relied on them for external conflicts)

5. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Unique Great Admiral would actually be potentially beefy. Not sure what I would add besides ignoring zone of control, though...

Unique mercenary-type unit would go pretty darn well with their ability to generate gold and Tophet gaining extra xp on bought units. Unit type could be almost any pre-medieval, probably.

6. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

A Numidian Skirmisher replacement would be the obvious choice. The Numidian were a Berber allied kingdom and frequently employed as mercenaries by the Carthaginians. They were renowned horsemen, reliably defeating the Roman cavalry during the 2nd Punic war, but the Romans are rather famous for having embarrassingly bad cavalry and scouts, relying entirely on the strength of their infantry and siege warfare.

I am loathe to make a big change like that right now, because the suffet stretches the Carthaginian kit outside ancient/classical. They sorely need something to play with after turn 100

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  7. Legen

Legen King

I approve a unique admiral change, since I think the naval units tend to benefit more from the Suffet's anti-ZoC effect than land units; naval units have more movement points in general, have more ways to gain movement points much earlier and they don't have to deal with rough terrain. Carthage is also a maritime civ that tends to rely a lot on cargo ships for its economy, so a unit that helps keeping their naval trade routes safer throughout the eras would be very helpful for them.

Maybe the great admiral could provide something like immunity vs boarded status? If you think the anti-ZoC effect is not enough. And if the admiral remains unable to embark, at least he could have extra movement points.

8. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

9. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

I'm not a big fan of the Suffet, even as it works properly, but I've stated that before; it alternates between being clunky and being... almost like it's not even there. I feel it's a case of 'looks useful on paper, is meh in practice'. But maybe that's just me. What do others think?

What's wrong with a civ being frontloaded in the ancient/classical though? Carthage wants to be super-expansive for as long as there's land to be grabbed anyway, and is a definite example of a civ that's "make it or suffer" in the early game. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.

That said, I do understand not wanting to change at this point because it is a fair amount of work. I'll respect your decision on this matter, even if I disagree on the unit itself.

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  10. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

If I can recall, I also saw issues with transitioning through 1 tile island cities, and embarking/disembarking in general. I'd have to agree with the clunky feel that Fox alluded to. Thematically it's great, but in practice it doesn't execute well, and indeed feels kind of 'meh'.

The skirmishers make sense and would work, but I don't think they'd reflect the flavour of Dido as well as something like a Suffet rework or unique Admiral.

Excluding the impact of the Punic wars, Carthage was essentially a trader/merchant empire, right? Their main position of power came through their advantageous wealth, accumulated through trade domination across the coasts of North Africa and the Mediterranean, right? Here's a crazy idea, but why not give them a unique cargo ship? The tales of Phoenician cargo ships has their quality, durability, and sheer size coming second to none; they would apparently dwarf any vessel that would appear on the seas for several hundred years. It would be pretty unique and thematic, also playing off of the Great Cothon.

I assume it'd be possible to implement a unique caravan or cargo ship for a civ? Aside from the art asset problem (default art would be fine honestly), is there anything preventing this?

11. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

These are unavoidable edge cases. Normally, your GAdmiral wouldn't be able to get up on land at all. I understand that getting a Suffet up on land can be difficult, but there really isn't any way around that. GAdmirals simply can't path onto land tiles that aren't cities/forts/citadels. It's a very unique unit with very unique mechanics, and I really don't want to have to replace it with something that locks Carthage even more heavilly into early snowball, especially for something as drab as a slightly stronger skirmisher.
    mainly the fact that it’s impossible to make a unique caravan/trade ship. I wouldn't do that anyways because a trade ship is a civilian unit, not a military unit, and we are looking for a military unit replacement.

I'm not abandoning the Suffet idea at this point. I like the idea of granting plague immunity to Suffet GAdmirals though. I'll look into adding that in a new version.

12. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

ya'll better get excited for this next update. Been busting my ass trying to get this Suffet change working, and @Asterix Rage has been working for months on unique graphics for all the 4UC promotions

Code:
    v46: 
    - compatibility:
        - Spices ==> changed to Cinnamon
        - UnitCombat ==> removed UnitCombat info for civilian units. This info has been added to base VP
        - Unique Promotions ==> courtesy of Asterix Rage, all promotions have unique graphics
    - tweaked/modified:
        - Suffet    ==> Beginning next to a Suffet provides plague immunity in addition to ZOC
                    ==> Shoftim give ZOC and Plague Immunity while embarked
                    ==> Unique look and icon for embarked Shoftim
                    ==> Shoftim can Embark immediately
        - Licorne ==> Added combat bonus vs Gunpowder units
        - Unique Japanese Guilds ==> Halved the instant yields from GWAM births 
        - various text and file name tweaks

Spoiler Suffet Embarked :
    upload_2019-6-14_17-52-28.png

Hinin and Legen like this.
  13. Rosaria's Sandwiches

Rosaria's Sandwiches Chieftain

You bet I'm excited to play this; any ETA?

14. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

I’m going to wait for the next hotfix, update, etc. There’s updates on the base VP which I am waiting on, and finishing touches on the Unique promotions.

So ETA is maybe 1-2 weeks, depends on G and Asterix

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  15. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

Ooh that looks good. I am certainly curious.

16. Hinin

Hinin King

Even though I was a defendor of the concept for the Suffet (as you know, originating from the Hannibal mod from JFD) as a nice flexible combat tool, the problems linked to the complexity of its code had made it a 'bittersweet' UU to me. If these problems are resolved (impossibility to disembark outside of a city, possible infinite repair by using the disembark/embark effect on the number of repair actions and others pointed out by several people) and the unit is given more utility and uniqueness, I'm all for it. Thank you for your hard work once again.

Also, I'm very happy and grateful to have had @Asterix Rage participate to the project. Whatever the result (I'm sure it will be great), thank you very much. :D

PS : Also @adan_eslavo, I'm sorry for not having answered your proposition to have me help you for the ACNfVP modmod : I was quite busy on several levels. If you consider I can still be of some use, don't hesitate to tell me. :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  17. Asterix Rage

Asterix Rage Warlord

18. Guynemer

Guynemer King

19. Legen

Legen King

A random idea, but what if the Suffet boosted both land and naval units with the +15% :c5strength: aura as an admiral? That would partially cover the inability to embark in foreign lands.

20. Zakuzelo

Zakuzelo Chieftain

It seems really weird for Egypt's Khopesh to be so good at finishing off units when their chariots get a bonus on kills.
    Also, Songhai with this mod is wonderful. The flow of their game is a thing of terrible beauty. Strong and effective and synergistic and so, so, SO much fun. Well done.

Drakle likes this.