3UC/4UC for VP: Project Coordination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Github desktop is only source of sending and tracking your changes made via notepad or modbuddy instead of manual uploading them to the server. I don't edit things in Github desktop. The thing is to copy .git folder into proper mod folder to force it updating only those files belonging to our mod.

I also saw you sometimes overwrite changes made by other users (f.e. Intihuatana in text file (v25.5)). With github desktop you avoid that because it checks what lines were changed and before doing something you can easily sync your files on hdd with those on server with 2 clicks. You can also avoid such situations by creating your own branch. Then when merging when conflict is found, a prompt appears and you need to make merging manually via browser (I did such thing few times).

On side note: after longer absence, when there are 30 small uptates instead of 3-4 bigger ones (and sometimes one file is changed few times) it is really hard to keep track with what's going on. But it is probably only my personal feeling, especially because I have now less time to focus on this mod.

Last edited:
I tested the Horse archer promotion and it seems to work in my game. It has not been added into the civ5proj file however. I think it is ready to be added

I would also like to note that this new promotion is incredibly fun. In most situations a flat +1 move would be better, but combined with the higher defense on horse archers you can end turns next to units with less risk. It's pretty satisfying to be able to go through rough terrain, or cross a river and still fire.

edit: I have been trying to get the bellum alet promotion to work, and I think it's time for me to admit I'm not up to the task

Last edited:
yup! the indian archer can do that too. Hey, if you are still barb hunting by the time you get your first GG then more power to you

Last edited:
So I've played like 120 turns on Emperor with Zulu. New general unit is really nice, it can help you level siege units really fast, something zulu has been lacking. With decent unit placement you can get 3*7XP from catapults/turn from one general - that's nice.
The theater - I havent had a chance to test it really. It is so not on the Zulu tech line. I can't see why would I bother to go upper part of tech tree as Zulu until I'm forced to. So by the time you build it, you have like 20+ elite units already and it's special ability is not overwhelming. It's very similar issue to what Denmark has.

Would v28 be compatible with the previous version of VP? I'd like to get some full games going but can't stand the overly friendliness of the current VP version's AI.

@black213 Some VP updates changed building or unit parameters/abilities - then it will not be compatible. But with 2-1 version there should be no problem. I hope.

Sounds like the Zulu general could cause some balance issues. We might have to reduce the XP on attack to 3, since we underestimated how the extra +1 move means more units getting bonus xp in a single turn.

Sounds like the Zulu general could cause some balance issues. We might have to reduce the XP on attack to 3, since we underestimated how the extra +1 move means more units getting bonus xp in a single turn.
We could also make it affect a wider radius, to reduce the micromanagement of moving it to every attacking unit.

We could also make it affect a wider radius, to reduce the micromanagement of moving it to every attacking unit.
If the bonus were to be given on adjacency it would be possible to have the general provide it’s +xp bonus to an entire front. The general could move perpendicular to the front line units as you issue your attack order.

I prefer the current system. If you want to boost your melee units you have to stack adjacent to an enemy unit, so enemy ZOC limits the general’s movement options. Giving the bonus on adjacency makes the Zulu general much too free. Plus, Bonus on adjacency is the shofet’s thing.

Ok, so Iziko doesnt work as tooltip says. Firstly - if you build Iziko in this turn and then level up unit, it will not give you yields, it starts to work from next turn. Secondly - what is more important - it gives :c5culture: depending on unit level - 1 on lvl1, 5:c5culture: on lvl 2, 45:c5culture: on lvl4. Which would be huge, however it works only in capital. Which makes it useless in any other city.

That is super weird. Iziko uses the exact same sql as the dojo; it doesn’t even use lua. It should work exactly the same.

It does. But description says "whenever a unit gains a level get +5:c5culture: scaling with an era". That's wrong on many levels, as you get :c5culture: based on unit lvl AND only in city that unit was built in.

Oh neat. So if we do what the description actually says then the iziko will be completely it’s own thing, separate from Japan.

That will require a lua to trigger on a unit gaining a level, which gives 5*GetCurrentEra in city if city has iziko. I thought that was what the Japan dojo already did

Yeah, but it has ability to be completely wrong and gamey. If you take orders early on and have high production city, you can spam archers or any other low cost unit every turn or every other turn.Let's assume you're in medieval (10:c5culture: per level up), have 5 citiies with iziko and produce level 2 units. That's 10*5*2=100:c5culture: every turn. Wayyy to much. 1:c5production: to 1:c5culture: ratio basically.

I wonder if there is a way to disable the yields if the unit was just produced that turn... so they only get yields if the unit levelled up in combat?

edit: there is the IsInCombat() check... I'm not sure how that works, but it could be worth trying

Last edited:
InDuna currently gives 5 XP for each attack, even for ranged. It also stacks. Plus, units with logistics have XP on both attacks. Right now, i'm finding myself having a zulu army with super upgraded Cannons and Musketmen, with a few Impi for blocking. It's interesting, but not really in tune with the Zulu's flavor.

It could also give the same XP values for each attach (ie ranged 2XP and melee 5XP). I think a good change would be to give the XP bonus to a radius, but only melee and gun units. I would remove the stacking for multiple generals (but leave it for multiple attacks, ie Blitz, since attacks drain HP).

For the Izuko, I found it powerful in the classical / medieval era. But it's power falls fast after that since you best units don't upgrate that often and the value does not scale with era. Having 5 culture per city, scaling with era, would be better I think. It also would be different from the Japanese Dojo.

Here is what I would propose:

InDuna:
melee units stacked with an InDuna receive 5XP on attack. Ranged units receive 2XP on attack

Reasoning:
  • If the zulu general only buffs one type of unit, then the AI won't figure it out. The way it is set up now, however, gives too much focus to ranged attacks. With these two bonuses, melee units will get 10xp on attacks, and ranged units will get 4xp on attack, so melee units get 2.5x the benefit.
  • I'm still against adjacency, simply because there are no unique generals which focus on the stacked unit specifically (khan's bonus is a radius of 2, Shofet's bonus is a radius of 1). I think this fits better with the name of the unique promotion as well (ibutho, which refers to a single division led by an inDuna).
Iziko:
Receive culture in every city, scaling with level and era:
(GetCurrentLevel()-1)*GetCurrentEra()

If we use @infidel88's same example. A composite bowman (90:c5production:) is built in the medieval. City has an ikhanda (15xp). that's lvl 2
(2-1)*(2)=2:c5culture: in every city on production

If the city got an armory, that would be lvl 3 on production, so (2-1)*(2) + (3-1)*(2) = 6:c5culture: in every city.
The nice thing about this proposal is that, since unit levels scale on game speed now, the only thing that needs to scale is era

Reasoning:
  • This does not erase the bonus from building a unit entirely, but it rewards players more for having highly-trained units. You have to get to level 6 for parity with the old proposed system, but you can get even larger rewards after that.
  • Before, you just got more xp for more levels. Now, you have to decide if you stack your indunas on high-level units for bigger bonuses, or stack them with low level units for more, smaller bonuses.

Last edited:
I like this proposal. It looks more powerful that the current effect and will stay relevant through the game.

Also, I noticed that Iziko does not have a great works slot. Is this intentional ?

New pull request

Updated texts for intihuatana, iziko and induna

fixed sql for iziko (removed unit levelling sql and added great work slot. thanks @Giza)

new lua: Iziko culture on unit levels (seems to be working)

changes to existing lua : InDuna XP based on unit combat (not working, currently gives 2XP to all units)

changes to existing lua : Cacadores - completely rewrote, but it still does not work though

Someone who is more knowledgeable of lua, please check my work, in particular for induna and cacadores

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom