8 City Challenge

About science I'm not sure whether skipping pottery would be that wise.. I agree on going towards priest as fast as possible but before going for writing we should detour to pottery as well! A granary in our second city would be nice while building oracle and keep in mind that we'd get the full discount on writing for having all three prereq-techs!
And as we're going to skip an early BW we'd need archery for barb defence in case we don't have horses nearby...
So I'd suggest finish AH while max grow our cap. In case we've got horses nearby go on with poly (for lit as Meiz mentioned) and priest. Otherwise I'd squeeze in archery before going for poly!

Turns 1 & 2: zzz

Turn 3: Hindu Fiddle

Turn 4: Warrior killed a Lion

Turn 5: Capital: Worker>Warrior

Turn 6: zzz

Turn 7: By moving our initial settler, we missed out on...

Spoiler :

Marble! D:

Turns 8 & 9: zzz

Turn 10:

Spoiler :

AH>Myst
No horsies :(
In fact, the only horse visible on the map so far is...

In Wang's BFC.

Turns 11-19: zzz

Turn 20:

Capital: Warrior>Settler (has no hammers invested yet)

Spoiler :

Myst in. Poly selected as placeholder, no beakers invested yet.

Found some horses to the south by some pigs..

So, there we go. Now we decide what tech we want to get next. Poly? Medi? BW? Pottery?

If we do detour from the CoL Oracle path, I am favouring BW so we can shoa the orcale our CHOPS.... .. and maybe even whip it if need be.

The Save

Too bad about the horses... :| Would have made our life that much more simple :)

I'll need to build at least one extra warrior, before a settler. Don't feel too confident in defending two cities with one warrior :D

I guess the question now is, do we gamble for copper with BW, or take a safe route to Archery?

Most likely Archery, as we want to settle towards Wang, and we probably aren't lucky enough to get copper in that spot exactly... So the copper would be delayed in any case. Then beeline to Priesthood and delay BW for a bit longer?

I'm still in favour of BW. Even if we don't get Copper, as long as we churn out enough warriors to spawnbust effectively, we should be fine. With BW we can whip said warriors if necessary. Or a settler. BW also gives us access to chopping for the Oracle. Really, I think Archery is a subpar choice here. BW just plain gives us more options, even without Copper. We also already have a Scout and two Warriors ready for spawnbusting duty.

I still would go for archery as it's a way cheaper than BW! In case we directly head towards oracle it would be early enough to start it without BW.
But with only one worker who would be busy chopping out the wonder we don't have any time to hook copper up, but we need some proper defense I think! So going for archery next and build at least two archery for city defense against barb-axes would be the way I prefer!

Yeah too bad about horses not being close. I think you wasted turns by farming the 2nd corn instead of mining the gold. There's enough :food: with the corn/pig, there's 2t left so finish it then start the gold. Working that will shave off a few turns on research. Also, go ahead and switch to a warrior for 2t to grow the city to size 4 then start a settler.

Settler is going to be our money city guy, so we need to send the warrior in the capital to fogbust the dyes site. Which it does have a LOT of jungle to get cleared, so BW will be needed eventually. But we can take the Archery route to fogbust with archers then hit BW after Writing.

So Hunting > Archery > Poly > Priest > Pottery > Writing > BW

But we need to get that gold online asap!

Yep, playing in a few hours :)

I will take the safe route to archery. If this would be single player, might even gamble for copper, but not this time ;)

Preturn

Farming the corn would take 7 turns, so I just abandon it for now and head for gold.

Capital starts another warrior, max growth.

Send capital guard to check one hidden tile NW, in case it contains some horses ;)

Also promote our injured exploring warrior to woodsman I and leave it to heal (3 turns).

Research: Hunting

Turn 2

No horses found, bah :p

Capital grows to size 4 and continues to build warrior. I don't want to defend two cities with a mere warrior!

Turn 3

Start mining the gold.

Turn 7

Capital grows to size 5.

Research: Hunting -> Archery

Turn 8

Our fully healed exploring warrior (standing on a hill) is killed by a fricking panther! (8hp left on the panther) :mad: Definitely not my day...

Capital starts a settler and can finally work the gold, decreasing Archery to 6 turns.

With gold we can spare one happy now, so our capital guard heads to check western marble spot for seafood.

Turn 10

Yep, there's fish next to marble. Maybe settle later on top of the marble for a naval city?

And it looks like we share the continent with just Wang. Nicely room for all of our 8, as long as one specific guy is removed :satan:

Turn 11

We are stated to be the 5th largest, while Wang is stated to be hopeless. Puny definitely beats that! :lol:

Worker roads the forest 1 SE of capital. Every turn counts for the settler race.

Turn 14

Research: Archery -> Polytheism

Turn 15

Worker starts to mine one of the grassland hills. Our future city can use it for producing a monument quickly.

We also get one extra forest in capital BFC [party]

Turn 16

My joy is not long lived, as jungle grows in one of the capitals BFC tiles! :aargh:

Turn 17

Bad news... Wang settles his second city, which makes our planned site illegal :(

But the good news is, that we _can_ settle 1E of the warrior and steal the corn with holy city culture!

Turn 18

I'll stop here. Settler is one turn from completion, so this is a good point to decide if we want to go with the plan above. I'd most certainly do it!

Our glorious continent:

And roster:

cripp
Brian
Matrix
Meiz - Just played
Spellcraft - Up!
yena - On deck

Thoughts: I thought money city was four dyes? If so we should be settling that next. And with Wangy settling his spot then I would now definitely go there for money city.
His current city I would raze as it is in a very iffy site.

I would seriously consider going after Wang myself, it seems he's butting up against us with no competition down South, so I think a take-out may be in our best interests.

:goodjob: on scouting, we're going to be isolated once Wang is gone.

:agree: on settling the dyes next for the money city. In order to go after Wang we'd need copper since no horse is available.

Another thought is going after Judaism, Poly > Mason > Mono > BW. It's a lot shorter route than trying to Oracle CoL. With OR we'd get 25%:hammers: on buildings, we can rex out until BW or go BW after Poly

lurker

that is seriously pretty great land you're looking at... I wonder how you want to place only 8 cities... with WK land I see there +- 12 cities without much effort, could squeeze in maybe more.

there is plenty of gold around it should be great for supporting pretty big rex.

I would not settle 2nd city at dyes, that city will be great after IW and calendar and that is pretty far away.
I would maybe think more about that fish+gold to north east.

it will be problematic to block off WK, I think he will settle around the east coast, but who knows he can be eventually stupid enough to claim the jungle.

Or you can expand south way...around that pigs+gold spot, but that will leave open the north east gold for WK.

you should check for copper though, the archery detour was not needed until checking copper. The warrior is in bad position for fogbusting btw.

I'm quite sure we are too late for Judaism... In my experience that goes pretty fast on emperor.

CoL on the other hand is probably ours as long as we make a full effort now for the oracle. And it puts us closer towards bureaurcracy. That's my preference.

Dyes site is a bit akward at this point, but religion will determine our gold city, so that would have to come next. Slow start, but great on the long run.

Indeed great scouting Meiz!! :goodjob:

And I too would rather settle dye-spot than settling directly into Wangs face.. And maybe we should think about getting wang as a friend.. In that case we could make at least some use of our spy points and we would have some more cities to spread our religion to.. And in case we're rexing heavily we'll get our 8 cities running.. Does anybody knows how much wang is willing to trade monopole techs away? In case he's willing we may get a few techs out of some trades as well! So I'd leave him alive!
And techwise I'd agree on Meiz as well: We should keep the idea of oracling CoL!

I thought it was impossible to trade with AI until they knew two other civs (including the player), no?

Get AI to friendly and they trade just about anything.

Edit: unless I remember that wrong, of course :D

OK didn't know friendly overrode that one. Usually tend to be a bit greedy if only one AI with me.

Top Bottom