A comprehensive UU guide (the updated thread)

The conquistador article should mention that in BTS they still have the ability to receive defensive bonuses. An ability which is still unique despite the fact that it replaces a different unit.

Regarding the Carrack. It has one additional positive aspect. It allows one to simplfy one's own navy. This is becuase it functions as the most powerful warship of the time and as the best transport ship of the time. Galleys are no longer needed for coastal waters. This would save on hammers. As well as help with stack defense since now every tansport ship can defend itself just as well as the guard ships. As there would be no distinction between transport and warship. The downside is that any Carrack that is doing transport duty might get selected by the computer to defend a stack instead of a empty Carrack. Could be a problem in certain situations for obvious reasons.

Caravels are equally powerful but their transport ability is definatly limited.

In BTS version, the Samurai (UU for Japan) starts with free drill I promotion. We say that's more unique due to the fact melee units never receive drill promotions. With Drill II or above, Samurais suffer less collateral damage, which is useful when it comes to attack or defend against enemy stack of doom.

I don't see anything on the Dog Soldier or Bowman -- are these forthcoming?

Did someone else find any good use of Mayan UU - Holkan, spearmen replacement?
(Like Dog Soldier, Holkan doesn't require copper or iron)

^^They are huge to arrass a AI... but the fact that you need BW to build it ( not cooper ) slows things a little. A couple of them is enough to paralize a AI almost until the end of days... and as you don't need to hook cooper you can even force them to a all archer aproach ( and we know how regular archer are good in open field attacks :rolleyes: )... and they have immunity vs first strikes, one of the main assets of archers

The oromo warrior article is missing something

(Oromo warriors start with 1 first strike. This is in addition to the Drill l and drill ll promotions.

The conquistador article should mention that in BTS they still have the ability to receive defensive bonuses. An ability which is still unique despite the fact that it replaces a different unit.

The oromo warrior article is missing something

(Oromo warriors start with 1 first strike. This is in addition to the Drill l and drill ll promotions.

Added. 10 char.

3 things I noticed in what is already written about BTS:
- samurii begin with drill 1
- cho-ko-nus are the only "siege weapon" which was not affected by the non-kill rule; worth mentioning?
- panzers now have a big weakness, in the name of the anti-tank infantry

Also, drill 1 now opens some useful promos (cover, shock, pinch); the main point in what you wrote is that churchill's readcoats can now get pinch right off the barracks.

3 things I noticed in what is already written about BTS:
- samurii begin with drill 1
- cho-ko-nus are the only "siege weapon" which was not affected by the non-kill rule; worth mentioning?
- panzers now have a big weakness, in the name of the anti-tank infantry

Also, drill 1 now opens some useful promos (cover, shock, pinch); the main point in what you wrote is that churchill's readcoats can now get pinch right off the barracks.

Cho-no-ku's are not seige weapons and as such can deal colleteral damage to seige weapons(usefull defensivly) and of course they can kill as they are actually a crossbow replacement...

I know that, that's why I wrote "siege weapon" with quotation marks :)

I may be wrong, but I'm quite sure that lot's of people use them as a siege weapon complement/replacement, thus my thought

Sumerian UU Vulture, a replacement for axeman is a cheaper version of original swordsman: Str 6, melee 25%. I assume this UU is popular for bum-rush against enemy civs with a combined effort of UB, Ziggurat - cheap courthouse comes with priesthood.

However, due to their lesser melee bonus, vultures hardly stand a chance against aggresive Axeman, Dog Soldier, or even Praetorian. Try promoting them to have combat I and shock ability.

Unpromoted vulture vs regular axeman - 6.00 vs 6.25

6 * 1.25 = 7.5
5 * (1+0.5+0.1) = 8

Why won't vultures stand a chance against axeman? I don't see a huge difference. Remember bonuses are applied to base strength.

Also, I find that on most map types, there are usually a couple of islands that are unreachable until astronomy. If you're lucky, you can send in a force to take out that barbarian city and then settle on the (only) prime city spot on that island. That's one more core city you can work on - which is a large bonus, because your 6-8 good cities produce more commerce, culture and hammers than all your other cities combined.

I will get there. Eventually :p

I had only just finished the guide when BtS was released. There's no end to it...

I must say, the Landsknecht is a fearsome unit.

100% vs mounted AND 100% vs melee makes it the perfect city defender. You can effectively use it for any city or stack defense, as its bonuses make it well rounded to nearly all units the AI would use to attack.
Engineering can come really early if you tech right. It's on the same path as Construction, so it comes right after catapults. If you don't have Metal Casting and need something stronger than Axemen, but don't want to wait for Machinery and Civil Service, this is the perfect unit to use. Engineering also unlocks Trebuchets, which are considered by some to be stronger than catapults at taking cities.
Engineering is a good military tech to get, but some people don't take it because either: 1. Pikemen are useless or 2. They already have catapults. With point 1 gone, it makes Engineering a more viable tech. The +1 road bonus is good on the defense, too, for obvious reasons.
Crossbows are a serious weakness for this unit, but the AI seems reluctant to field many of them. The only other weakness this unit has is to Gunpowder units, but Musketmen are quite a few techs farther on the tech path.

There's undoubtedly more to say about it, but I've drawn its greatest use as a city defender, coupled with Longbows.

Celtia: Gallic Warrior (Swordsman)

Warlords and BTS only. The Gallic Warrior is a much-maligned UU. Most people wonder why an offensive unit is given a promotion for hill defense. How on earth is that going to help him attack cities, which is what it does best?

Attacking a city is the culmination of an offensive movement, which begins with your entering enemy territory. If you're careful, you would want to move your stack along the safest route to the target city as far as possible, which often means favouring forests and hills over flatlands. This is where the Gallic Warrior's free Guerilla I can help. While spearmen protect your stack against mounted units and axemen/crossbows protect it from melee units, a Gallic Warrior on a hill is the best defender against counterattacking catapults and can even take over the role of the other stack-protection units. For example, if your spearman is badly injured, the Gallic Warrior can defend against chariots or horse archers as long as you're on a hill. Thus, while normal swordsmen may be badly injured before reaching the target city in these circumstances, chances are Gallic Warriors would be in better shape.

And note that Gallic Warriors can be promoted with Guerilla II and III. Such units can be a thorn in your enemy's side, running through the hills pillaging mines and maybe raiding a weakly defended city or two, thanks to Guerilla III's movement bonus on hills. The 25% bonus for attacks on hills and 30% withdrawal chance that this promotion gives also make it easier for you to deal with stubborn hill cities. And now that you can build Gallic Warriors with copper in the latest versions of Warlords, this UU can make an extra early appearance for city-busting.

Another neat thing about this UU is the fact that you can upgrade it to more advanced units in its line without losing the free Guerilla I. So, in effect, the benefit of this UU lasts for a long time. Remember that forests can be chopped but hills are permanent.

For BTS players: Somewhat like the Jaguar, this UU benefits from an improvement to its natural promotion branch: the change to Guerrilla III. It still gives +25% hills attack but now it gives a 50% withdrawal chance, making a Guerilla III Gallic Warrior a very effective crack troop. Need to attack that fortified hilltop city before Construction? Guerilla III Gallic Warriors can soften the defenses and have a good chance of surviving even after losing. The 50% withdrawal chance really is quite amazing, outclassing both the Flanking promotions combined. Moreover, since both Celt leaders are Charismatic, it's really easy to get to Guerrilla III. With barracks, your Gallic Warriors can start with Guerilla II and you are only 1XP away from Guerilla III. Sounds like fun.

Hi,

Thought that I'd mention here that Guerilla III gives only 30% withdrawal chance, instead of 50%. :)

Best regards,
Doom Scythe

Hi,

Thought that I'd mention here that Guerilla III gives only 30% withdrawal chance, instead of 50%.

Best regards,
Doom Scythe

Thought that I'd mention here that your copy of Civ 4 needs updating. :)

Best regards,
Slobadog

Thought that I'd mention here that your copy of Civ 4 needs updating. :)

Best regards,
Slobadog

Yup, I was wrong. Sorry for the mistake. I made the reply without checking the Civilopedia, but instead just reading off the figures from the Reference Charts given here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=2499

I tooke it for granted when they said it was updated for BtS v3.17. :lol:

Best regards,
Doom Scythe

Top Bottom