1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Dawn Beta Builds

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by 45°38'N-13°47'E, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Killtech

Killtech Discutator

tested it in a longer game? because i don't think the AI will have too much problem with it. after all it has always enough military to compensate the red faces. so they should only affect players who don't. in most prior version the AI was overproducing military which weakened it severely. but with this civic change it makes at least some sense now to have such large forces.

2. os79

os79 Deity

This is from Revision 408 but upcoming in beta4 the next week (I believe). New Automation option tab :D.

FYI, the left side all have missing word "Automatic". The page is too wide to screenshot as whole but it is no big deal now that you know the word "Automatic" is there...

View attachment 264833
    View attachment 264834

3. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

No I have not made it that far. I only get to play a few hours in the evenings and I play on Epic speed. I don't play with REV or Vassals on.
    Is this from experience watching the AI? Or just a personal rationalization? Marathon and Snail play different then Epic and standard.
    So I must have 3 mil units with every settler I send out? Blah. And by 1375BC having 5 cities is too much?!! I find that incredulously restrictive.

If that's the way it's been coded then, What can I do? AND has always forced me to have more Mil units than I did before from RoM. In fact I Have to Be more militaristic and aggressive than I used to have to do Before AND was added to RoM. Cultural victory is useless with AND as is Diplomatic.

The Civics I now try to avoid changing from the Default starting set except for Prophets. Cause all the early Civic choices just are not worth the hassle.

I guess it all boils down to the fact that I play RoM/AND different than most players. I play archipelago and multiple continent maps with only 6-8 AI so everyone is spread out and generally does Not make Early Contact. And if contact does occur it's only with 1 or 2 AI. And of course the same happens with the AI. This allows Every Civ to develop a decent Empire before the fighting begins. Not like other types of maps were you meet 1/2 a dozen neighbors in the 1st 500 years. So my early part of the Game is to develop a Thriving Empire so that when I do meet the AI I'm not overwhelmed tech wise, culturally, diplomatically, or militarily. So that when it comes down to Having to Have to Fight I'm hopefully prepared enough to not get overrun. And that when I do meet the AI I'm not tech backwards to them. Nor culturally inferior. And contact with the rest of the world comes when Caravels and Fluyts become available. So the tech race is to get to those techs 1st and Still have a Thriving (not starving) economy. Then the Meeting of Empires begins and so does Conflicts that come about because of it.

In today's Games I have to have a decent Military because the Normal Barbs are more intense than they were 2 years ago when RoM was just 1.03 or 2.0. I

JosEPh

4. os79

os79 Deity

Next version is coming soon. After this weekend...

So, please post your opinions on the government civics. Joseph, Killtech, and DudeSDCA already gave their input. We need more input from other players too.

Remember 1.75 will be the final version so you want your opinions to be heard by Afforess, and he want to hear them too! :) Just be honest (be nice, that goes without saying of course), OK.

Plus, if you have any questions about Automations option tab I post screenshots of, please ask away.

5. Sinapus

Sinapus Defenestrated

So... no Reverberating Voice of Doom when making requests?

"I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE-" "Hiiii, God of Hellfire." "-AND I WANT..."

(Sorry, trying to get my sleep schedule back to night shift pattern and getting a bit silly.)

6. Sinapus

Sinapus Defenestrated

Was there some mention somewhere on either this thread or another about researching too fast? Something about getting to new units before you had a chance to build the older ones?

On the earlier versions of BTS one xml mod I made was to increase the cost of later techs a bit. Something like Renaissance techs +1000 each, Industrial +2000, Modern +4000, and for other mods that had a "future" era they had +8000 added to their costs with the last one of Future Tech being +16000 more.

7. os79

os79 Deity

Playing with beta3, aren't you? If yes, then explain with examples.

8. Sinapus

Sinapus Defenestrated

I just remember someone else mentioning something in one of the threads here, can't find it and just threw out an idea since you mentioned final opinions before 1.75 comes out.

Okay, I found it. It was on the "stop the presses" thread.... and I think he's talking about Civ5. Oops.

9. Planepimp

Planepimp Chieftain

Oh right on OS I see them. Just one thing, the P59 jet fighter for russia has the mig three prop as it's fighter. It used to be the Mig 15.

10. Fanghorn

Fanghorn Chieftain

Dont have much to say about civics. I play what i get. But perhaps the economic Civics after Mercantilism should have an impact on the effectivity of toll and custom houses? Like adding plain commerce or increasing/decreasing the trade route yield.

Noticed that too: There are costs during Anarchy so you can have a strike and have no means to prevent your units from deserting.

11. Lexotan_sedlex

Lexotan_sedlex Warlord

Helo, i made a clean install and got the "start defeated" problem. And disapear a lot of maps on scenario menu.

Do you already know about that?

When i force to start a map locate in folder of new Dawn, a box says: the path to mod is wrong, i guess the change of name of folder of "rise of mankind" to "rise of mankind - new dawn" bring some bugs in maps.

can you see it?

12. os79

os79 Deity

When you look at Civic Advisor and look through Economic Civics of Free Market and down, can you give specific suggestions? I'm not really sure what you meant above, so more specific suggestions would be nice.

Yeah, many scenarios in this modpack don't work well with this modpack. I tried to get someone with scenario skills to fix them. No one seem inclined to help out. Maybe in next version, some of the scenarios will be removed, we will see what Afforess decide.

13. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

Its easy to do (well most of them), but i am kinda busy right now, any one map anyone needs right NOW:help: PM me, no need to clutter this thread.

14. os79

os79 Deity

I already set up the thread for it here. If you do some, I will attach to the first post. Then, eventually, in a patch of 1.75, Afforess will put in corrected scenarios in the 1.75. It won't happen if you just go ahead and do some of them. Your decision which ones and for how long... Though Afforess is right now fascinated by modding ideas for Civ5 so it may help if you find time for any scenarios you choose to correct so they may go into 1.75's final version. Up to you :).

Btw, I just found out. Limited Religions will be permanently in Custom Game option list.

Additionally, what do you think of "Hide xxx" aspect of the Automations tab, shown in the screenshots above? I know you would love it :D.

15. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

1. I'll see what i can do, thx.:confused:
    2. Good news.:)
    3. Better news, thx guys. (I didn't like the Auto-Promote especially since its already in the Options screen).;)

16. Lexotan_sedlex

Lexotan_sedlex Warlord

Hello,

about hiding, i want alert the problem of hiding replaced buildings. I play with the nagulism religion and, when i chek "hide replaced buildings" the temple of queatzocal are hiding because we have the temple of taloc (a cathedral). I think this is wrong, because if i dont see the temple of queatzocal in bulding list i cant make four of them, so i will never build the temple of taloc.

A solution is hiding the temple o queatzocal only when i can build the taloc temple, not always.

17. os79

os79 Deity

You are playing with old version :). Beta3 only have few select aspects of Building Upgrade Chains. That problem is not present in beta3.

18. Lexotan_sedlex

Lexotan_sedlex Warlord

Thanks, i confirm, the new version is fixed!

19. Lexotan_sedlex

Lexotan_sedlex Warlord

please! fix the maps!...lol..

20. Skeeve_Sunshine

Skeeve_Sunshine Chieftain

Hi

Just a short thingy about civics: i can convince myself to go away from tribal. The negatives do not overcome the bonuses compared to tribal. Maybe that is just the playstyle.

I'll comment later about all the others, have to look at them more closely.