A New Dawn Beta Builds

If you are playing with 1.75beta, you SHOULD NOT BE ABLE to play with Dark Ages, period. You turned it on with hidden XML. Thus that make this problem unsupported here.

Hi

I have in NO WAY turned it on. If i had i'd know where to turn it off :)

Where are those "hidden xml" tags ?

The point is somewhere with installation i presume, i did clean all mods from mod folder before installing RoM-AND beta3. As i have done with previous installations, the settings is read from somewhere else, and I dont know where.
Where are the settings stored for various mods ? in the UserSetting folder ? Or some Registry info ? or in the Doc&Settins cataloge somewhere ? Or all of those ?

I would not like to reinstall Civ4 entirely, unless i know that it actually helps.

Edit. I found this in the xml files, but nowhere to turn them off ? :
<GameOptionInfo>
<Type>GAMEOPTION_DARK_AGES</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_GAMEOPTION_DARK_AGES</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_GAMEOPTION_DARK_AGES_HELP</Help>
<bDefault>0</bDefault>
<bVisible>0</bVisible>
</GameOptionInfo>

Hi

The point is somewhere with installation i presume, i did clean all mods from mod folder before installing RoM-AND beta3. As i have done with previous installations, the settings is read from somewhere else, and I dont know where.
Where are the settings stored for various mods ? in the UserSetting folder ? Or some Registry info ? or in the Doc&Settins cataloge somewhere ? Or all of those ?

I would not like to reinstall Civ4 entirely, unless i know that it actually helps.

That's my point, exactly. You are NOT experiencing Dark Ages. You need to describe your problem better. Screenshot would help if you can't explain in words.

Screen shot of my post in the end of previous page ? Showing "Dark ages" as activated option in the "Victory Conditons -> Settings "

And during the game text "<player> Dark age Has begun!" seems to be kind of obvious.

Screen shot of my post in the end of previous page ? Showing "Dark ages" as activated option in the "Victory Conditons -> Settings "

And during the game text "<player> Dark age Has begun!" seems to be kind of obvious.

I see it.

No need to reinstall civ4 and bts... very extreme. Here what you can do, maybe help you.

Look in your Mods folder. Delete fully and purely and cleanly and all other words to describe empty it out! rise of mankind or a new dawn. Just do it.

Then open up the installer of A New Dawn 1.75beta. Now is beta3...

Now when it come to the place where you are to install to specific place, click on browse and navigate to the Mods folder, if you are not already there. DO NOT! install into Rise of Mankind like you used to do before. Install to Mods folder!

Then after that, you are on your own.

Now finally if you still get Dark Age problem, then you need to wait until about Sunday or so before Afforess can help because I have no idea how you get it enabled at all.

I see it.

Now finally if you still get Dark Age problem, then you need to wait until about Sunday or so before Afforess can help because I have no idea how you get it enabled at all.

Ok'ill try reinstalling with DELETING all the content in the Mods folder, so far i have just renamed the previous version with pretext like "OLD Beta2 -" and then installed. I think it should be just the same as deleting everything.

But still, as i said, the problem became appearent already in 1.73 somewhere for unknown reasons.

Is there any way to turn off "Dark ages" - as they are seen from 'Victory Screen' -> Settings.

I have seen in previous games (with previous versions), that dark ages active all the time. ( i would like them to be normal, than its fun.) Hopefully it wont be a problem, but i'd like to know if i can turn it off or not.

Hi

You must "by accident" or something run a copy of an old AND then Beta 3 over that one?

Cause if the XML file has <bVisible>0</bVisible>, then there is NO way it will show-up. Thus pic. (I took out those "unneeded" "auto - stuff" with the same thing <bVisible>0</bVisible>), and everything works just fine. There is nothing in-between Assimilation and Barbarian Generals anymore.

Or do what OS said and wait for Afforess in a week or so.

Also i have edited this post three times now, just incase you missed it:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9626570&postcount=3538

Just to add fuel to the fire... I saw a "(AI player)'s Dark Age has begun!" message in my current game. Clean Beta 3 install, no other mods installed (now or ever).

Foul

FYI, folks, Afforess is taking a leave of absence for one week. He'll be back then. Continue dropping your feedback. He'll be checking here occasionally.

Didn't people tell him not to try and freeze himself until Civ5 came out like Cartman did for the Nintendo Wii?

:mischief:

Just an FYI, in a Beta3 Clean install, the movie for the Terracotta Army is still not playing, does anyone know a quick fix for it?

Look for the CIV4ArtDefines_Movie.xml file in the Assets\XML\Art\ folder.

Eg.: X:\Program Files\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn\Assets\XML\Art\

Open it up in a text editor like notepad, and scroll to the bottom:
Change the path to this:
Code:
		<MovieArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_MOVIE_TERRACOTTA</Type>
			<Path>[COLOR="Red"]Art/RoMModularWonders/TerraCotta.bik[/COLOR]</Path>
		</MovieArtInfo>

Also this affects all wonder movie which are in the RoMModularWonders folder. (If you scroll from the bottom to upwards, you'll find them all.)

Alternate method:
You can examine the paths and go to
Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn\Assets\art\RoMModularWonders\ folder and create the missing folders then move the files (bik, dds, or tga) to the correct folders.

2 screen shots of things I say HuH? What? over.

1. How can a newly founded city be both Unhappy and Unhealthy? It's only my 2nd city in the game. It says 1 Unhappy cause it's "To Crowded" What?. How can a new city just founded be too crowded? And it has 5 unhappy because "We Hate our Gov't" what's up with that? I havn't even founded a religion by this early date. And I only have the default Civics. This is a prime example of overkill on the Unhappy/unhealthy trend that has plagued AND for sometime now.

2. So plains or grass lands beside Jungle tiles no long have access to fresh water to build a farm? Says I need Canals before I can farm that plot. Did you all nerf Jungle tiles again? And if so why? Are we back to vanilla CIV IV were Jungle tiles are worthless until you chop them all down? I hope not.

JosEPh

1. How can a newly founded city be both Unhappy and Unhealthy? It's only my 2nd city in the game. It says 1 Unhappy cause it's "To Crowded" What?. How can a new city just founded be too crowded? And it has 5 unhappy because "We Hate our Gov't" what's up with that? I havn't even founded a religion by this early date. And I only have the default Civics. This is a prime example of overkill on the Unhappy/unhealthy trend that has plagued AND for sometime now.
Afforess is experimenting with some civic changes. thus the starting government civic gives you unhappiness in every city except the capital (that's the ppl hate your government thing). but you also get one happiness per military garrison. making it short: your people will go rebellious in any newly founded city as long as it is not sufficiently protected. if one knows that it shouldn't be a problem hopefully.

the "it's too crowded" was always there. it comes from vanilla Civ4 and generates anger proportional to the city size. admittedly it sounds a bit strange in a 1 sized city.

this is a test to prevent overexpansion on the one hand and enforcing to build early military like the AI does - so player cannot get a huge economy advantage over the AI that easily.

cannot comment on the unhealthiness though. don't know where this comes from.

I've never cared for the 1 Unhappy or 1 Unhealthy per pop equation/formula. I believe it ******s growth for both AI and player alike. Having a size 6 city and having to overcome 6 redfaces and/or 6 green faces from pop alone is too much imho. Each pop should only generate 1/3 or at most 1/2 a red or green face.

The old argument that cities should not reach size 20 until modern Era is really anti to RoM's core. If the AI can build a size 20 city it's 5 fold harder to conquer than 4 or 5 size 5 or 6 cities. And that's been an oversight and a bad decision process(imho) in AND. Growth has been so restricted that the AI is handcuffed as well as the player. Making it so the AI is aggressive in over expansion is really the key to tougher AI opponents. Not the way it is now.

I don't know how to express it better, but the restrictions imposed on the player is hurting the AI and hurting AND. Am I the only one seeing this?

JosEPh

I don't see the problem there. AI's is still hurt by the rapid expansion they do. And the fact that they use not optimal city locations ( too close to eachother, hugging one resource etc).

The red faces come in starting ancient times are normal. In now way one village was happy to pay tax to another, without some military persuasion. ( Plus they see that as defensive value.)

And the red faces go away bith better govermental solutions (monarchy, etc). Which correpsonds to the social development of people and culture -> building a counrty in which cities want to be part of.

--------

The starting startegy depends on the difficulty level, at monarch it is better to withhold making new cities unless you have discovered monrachy or iron working, as they will bog down the economy ( research ) very quickly. Only then it is good idea if the new cities have enough food resources to make them grow Very quickly.

------

Are you playing with Ruthless AI ? I am, and that makes a difference.

Couple of more things i just noticed:

1. You raised the Project ENCYCLOPEDIE from <iCost>1000</iCost> to <iCost>2250</iCost>, i was there first and now i am in the Industrial Era and still have 70 turns to go:eek:

2. Brandenburg has no movie.:(

3. Can you get the Limited Religions back in the BUG area also, like it used to be, it was alot better that way, cause you could turn it off and on when you wanted, just a little pet peeve of mine.:p

If you need more help from someone just ask.

Limited Religion being in Custom Game only is RevolutionDCM team's decision, not Afforess'.

Is it only me?

The "Actual" values for Gold change in the city is mixed or even messed up when checking the mouseover on ordering the construction of a building.

Ikhanda for example decreases maintenance by 20% but the value for Gold change shows a negative value. Town Watch on the other hand increases maintenance by 5% and also shows a negative Value for gold change in the same city. Additionally the Value for the Town Watch is a lot higher despite the lower percentage value in comparison to the Ikhanda (still in the same City!!) - i.e. - 5.65 vs - 1.84. The Shown value for the gold change of the inkhanda was correct except for the algebraic sign.

This is just an example but aplies t alot of buildings. Courthouses showed correct values ...

Limited Religion being in Custom Game only is RevolutionDCM team's decision, not Afforess'.

I figured that out already, i was just asking if he COULD put it back in, is all;)

On a side note, what are those soundtracks in the industrial era, the trumpets/horns/oboes/ YUCK (my opinion).

Top Bottom